Chernobyl-HBO 5 Part Mini Series

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The very simple explination using the cards was quite effective story telling.
I thought the way he described the sequence of events was the best part of the last episode.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
More interesting facts keep coming out about Chernobyl.
The Sky News Economics Editor writes as follows in today's Times.
"The first clue was the silence.In the hours after Chernobyl's Reactor 4 exploded, the accident was a closely guarded secret, but the beekeepers in a nearby village realised something was amiss. That morning the bees stopped buzzing and wouldn't leave their hives.The fishermen noticed something too: worms were burying themselves a metre into the earth, so deep the anglers couldn't find any bait.
It took three days for the Soviet authorities to admit there had been an accident. Unaware they were being showered with radioactive particles, residents of Pripyat sent their children out to play in the streets; they sunbathed, astounded how fast they were tanning."
He also says "Perhaps the scariest is that even today no one quite understands how or why there was no second explosion.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's terrible Barry. The first thing a responsible country do is to protect their people by telling them right away the precautions to take.

And that CIA bullcrap story is showing how still irresponsible they are.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
More interesting facts keep coming out about Chernobyl.
The Sky News Economics Editor writes as follows in today's Times.
"The first clue was the silence.In the hours after Chernobyl's Reactor 4 exploded, the accident was a closely guarded secret, but the beekeepers in a nearby village realised something was amiss. That morning the bees stopped buzzing and wouldn't leave their hives.The fishermen noticed something too: worms were burying themselves a metre into the earth, so deep the anglers couldn't find any bait.
It took three days for the Soviet authorities to admit there had been an accident. Unaware they were being showered with radioactive particles, residents of Pripyat sent their children out to play in the streets; they sunbathed, astounded how fast they were tanning."
He also says "Perhaps the scariest is that even today no one quite understands how or why there was no second explosion.
yeah.... the bridge of death brings tears. 100% fatality for all who stood there and watched the fires from a long distance away from the plant. Entire families with small kids. Radionucleides are hellish. One wonders if a uranium incident was so deadly...how safe is Fukishima and environs after a Plutonium incident...hhhmmm? Plutonium is far worse...far more diabolical.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
yeah.... the bridge of death brings tears. 100% fatality for all who stood there and watched the fires from a long distance away from the plant. Entire families with small kids. Radionucleides are hellish. One wonders if a uranium incident was so deadly...how safe is Fukishima and environs after a Plutonium incident...hhhmmm? Plutonium is far worse...far more diabolical.

This one too will get his mini series eventually. ...Maybe twenty years from now?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

There was no bridge incident in Japan. A property functioning democracy evacuated its people immediately.

Reactions: Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And like Chernobyl it could have been prevented. They made mistakes there too, manmade. They ignored the warnings from the scientists about seismic grounds and tsunamis. The evacuation also caused 1,600 deaths...of the elders.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I don't disagree about Plutonium but it all boils down to what radionucleides are given off

So they'll quickly die in 3 days rather than 5. That might not be diabolical but a good thing as a result.
Persistency steve. Plutonium will last longer and spread further.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
There was no bridge incident in Japan. A property functioning democracy evacuated its people immediately.
That is not the point. I did not conflate the bridge with Japan. I conflated one incident with uranium vs another with the far deadlier plutonium. Go look up a comparison about the half life and base radioactivity of the 2 elements. I was told one atom of Plutonium carries the equivalent heat of the sun! A properly thought out design would not build such a plant near the sea shore. Please go research plutonium to understand my concern.

Reactions: bonzo75

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
That is not the point. I did not conflate the bridge with Japan. I conflated one incident with uranium vs another with the far deadlier plutonium. Go look up a comparison about the half life and base radioactivity of the 2 elements. I was told one atom of Plutonium carries the equivalent heat of the sun! A properly thought out design would not build such a plant near the sea shore. Please go research plutonium to understand my concern.

You mentioned the bridge and Fukushima in the same paragraph thus drawing the logical conclusion that you were linking the two. Next time separate your statements with a paragraph as I'm about to do here.

There is no issue building a plutonium reactor next to the sea shore. Tepco's mistake was not building the reactor at 100 ft as originally spec'd by GE.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I agree with all of those who thought this was another HBO home-run. We only started watching it last weekend and blew through the first four episodes then waited for Monday night to see how it ended. Great TV.

I wonder if Legasov really committed suicide?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree with all of those who thought this was another HBO home-run. We only started watching it last weekend and blew through the first four episodes then waited for Monday night to see how it ended. Great TV.

I wonder if Legasov really committed suicide?
Interesting thought

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You mentioned the bridge and Fukushima in the same paragraph thus drawing the logical conclusion that you were linking the two. Next time separate your statements with a paragraph as I'm about to do here.

There is no issue building a plutonium reactor next to the sea shore. Tepco's mistake was not building the reactor at 100 ft as originally spec'd by GE.
I apologise if my post confused you...not my intent. I am on a phone with fat fingers so not the best construct for long winded posts.

Height is also a distance as is horizontal distance. It was too low and too near. it could be that low if far away. i just dont like the idea of a waterfront reactor.

Anyway, my main point is the Jap. also screwed up and now with permanent effects. 24k half life with10 or 20x dangerous radioactive life.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I apologise if my post confused you...not my intent. I am on a phone with fat fingers so not the best construct for long winded posts.

Height is also a distance as is horizontal distance. It was too low and too near. it could be that low if far away. i just dont like the idea of a waterfront reactor.

Anyway, my main point is the Jap. also screwed up and now with permanent effects. 24k half life with10 or 20x dangerous radioactive life.

Agreed. In a country prone to earthquakes and tidal waves, a river installation of a nuclear reactor would be more prudent. From what I've read GE spec'd the appropriate height and distance from the coast but this was ignored by Japan's Tepco.

Shame.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing