Chord Hugo TT2 dac and Hugo M Scaler

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been in a little conversation w Sound Of Tao, and he's gently cajoling me twds Chord, esp these two products, the Hugo TT2 dac and Hugo M Scaler.

In the UK, the dealers that stock the Innuos Zenith server I'm curious about, have Chord as one of the more interesting dacs, so I'm going to audition Innuos and Chord. Indeed it's hard to find more solid combinations at dealers that stock the Zenith.

And idea could be to start w Zenith and Hugo TT2 dac, go on to add the Hugo M Scaler, finally option to add Uptone Audio EtherRegen switch w LPS-1 psu.

Any thoughts out there on Chord dacs, and combination w Innuos Zenith server?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Any thoughts out there on Chord dacs, and combination w Innuos Zenith server?
I don't have experience on Zenith+Chord, but did audition DAVE + upscaling by Blu2 or M-Scaler a few times.

IMHO DAVE + Blu2/M-Scaler is 1+1=3 !
;)

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
CKKeung, how do you think the Dave + Blue2/M-Scaler fare to your MSB Select 2? :D Now you can answer truthfully since you own the MSB haha

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CKKeung, how do you think the Dave + Blue2/M-Scaler fare to your MSB Select 2? :D Now you can answer truthfully since you own the MSB haha

No direct comparison on a same system done.
Just impressions from memory :
I all along don't like a sole DAVE, but if it gets upscaling from Blu2 or M-scaler and particularly connected by Chord's dual bnc coaxial cables configuration, the combo can be quite close to the flagship grade DACs.
However I don't think it's on the playing field of Select/Ref or Totaldac Twelve mk2 yet.

BTW each of the various top DAC has its own sonic characters.
To be frank, that of Chord is not my cup of tea but several friends of mine are using such combos happily. Their prices in HK are reasonable.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
No direct comparison on a same system done.
Just impressions from memory :
I all along don't like a sole DAVE, but if it gets upscaling from Blu2 or M-scaler and particularly connected by Chord's dual bnc coaxial cables configuration, the combo can be quite close to the flagship grade DACs.
However I don't think it's on the playing field of Select/Ref or Totaldac Twelve mk2 yet.

BTW each of the various top DAC has its own sonic characters.
To be frank, that of Chord is not my cup of tea but several friends of mine are using such combos happily. Their prices in HK are reasonable.
What do you think the area that Dave + Blu2 is lacking compare to other flagship? Resolution or Tone? Noisefloor?
I really want to learn more from you. :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
What do you think the area that Dave + Blu2 is lacking compare to other flagship? Resolution or Tone? Noisefloor?
I really want to learn more from you. :)
Hello Hieukm,
I think when considering to buy DACs in this top grade, you have to audition them yourself. Our taste can be very diff.

For me myself, the Chord combo is unable to draw me into the music, not even once.

Reactions: asiufy and Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Hello Hieukm,
I think when considering to buy DACs in this top grade, you have to audition them yourself. Our taste can be very diff.

For me myself, the Chord combo is unable to draw me into the music, not even once.
If it is the matter of taste rather than technical details then i would understand. :). Previously when considering the different the price point, i was expecting the flagship DAC to top the Chord combo on many technical aspects. i was surprised to hear thats not the case.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If it is the matter of taste rather than technical details then i would understand. :). Previously when considering the different the price point, i was expecting the flagship DAC to top the Chord combo on many technical aspects. i was surprised to hear thats not the case.

I am not a tech guy. Can't comment on the technologies used by them professionally.

The end result is most important to me.
I embrace diversities and did enjoy Totaldac, Lampizator, CH Precison ...etc at various auditions/gatherings.
But for Chord ... :confused:

Reactions: asiufy and Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I am not a tech guy. Can't comment on the technologies used by them professionally.

The end result is most important to me.
I embrace diversities and did enjoy Totaldac, Lampizator, CH Precison ...etc at various auditions/gatherings.
But for Chord ... :confused:
By t?ch

To me the Dave is okay DAC. With the additional of Blu2, the resolution, timbre, details and soundstage go up several notches. I was thinking the top DAC would add up towards those technical qualities (not techinical specification like PSU, etc).

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Great insights above and 200% agree with CKKeung that no matter what you read you need to audition to see which dacs sound best for you.

Mark, definitely not saying you should get either of the chords but just that you should consider them for your list to audition if you are now looking for a dac. Just have a listen and discover whether you like the chord combo. The fact that you are looking for a dac specifically for accessing streaming is why I’d suggest the mscaler is worth investigating.

It’s not as much about Dave or TT2 so much now as it is ultimately about the value that the new mscaler brings to listening and the musical leverage created by it for chord dacs that have dual bnc input capability (so they can accept the full million taps rate capability of the mscaler). The magic is absolutely @ the 1 million taps top rate. The outcome at that rate is that now redbook streaming has hit for me the tipping point for the first time where I’m happily enjoying streaming as a primary listening foothold as well as traditional hi-res downloads for replay. It’s reinvigorated my researching into various classical performances... am loving comparing the huge array of recorded classical greats available. The feeling of discovery is brilliant and kind of liberating after all these years.

But you may find a different dac more to your taste and obviously you’ll never know till you give it a go. Either way best of luck on the dac and server hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hieukm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Graham, of course it's listen and buy/don't buy. It's just that when it comes to the UK mkt at least, there are very few interesting dacs that I can hear in the flesh on an Innuos Zenith that if I had to buy server and dac together based on combined demo, Chord would be v high up.

Of course it's petfectly ok to buy the Zenith and then any dac to go with it.
My tentative shortlist includes three ladder R2R dacs: the MHDT Orchid, Lab12 Dac1, Kitsune Edition Holo Springs and Denafrips Terminator.

And with a current cdp that is 100% satisfying and a great complement to my analog, I'll know reasonably quickly if the Chord (or these other dacs) maintain the same trick.

Reactions: Hieukm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, read yr words w great interest. I've always struggled a bit w the Chord amp signature, like you never feeling a draw into the music. But I'm open to the Chord dacs/plus Scaler convincing me.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CK, read yr words w great interest. I've always struggled a bit w the Chord amp signature, like you never feeling a draw into the music. But I'm open to the Chord dacs/plus Scaler convincing me.
Me too.
The Chord amps are even more far away from my taste than their dac.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CK, it won't take much to convince me Chord is not the direction to go. The Kitsune Edition Holo Springs ladder dac is 30% cheaper than the Hugo TT2, and no need to go M Scaler expense.

But Chord w Innuos is one of the easier demos to set up in UK.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
If you know a bit of history of Chord and Chord DAC designer, you know Chord DAC sound signature has nothing to do with Chord amp.

Chord amp is designed by John Frank. Chord DAC is designed by Rob Watts. Back to late 80s and 90s, Rob owned a company called Deltec and later DPA. Deltec amps and DACs were highly respected back then. I owned their amp and DACs. They were sounding great. Unfortunately, Deltec did not survive. From early 2000s, Rob works as Chord DAC designer. Starting from Chord DAC 64, all Chord DACs are designed by Rob and Frank does not have any say over the design of DAC. Actually, Rob is not employee of Chord. Rob can take his next design of DAC to another company. Basically, Chord just implement his design. Rob is now designing his digital amp to be implemented by Chord. I’m summary, Chord DAC sound signature shares nothing with current Chord amp. Actually, I don’t like Chord amp myself.

I owned Blu2/DAVE/HMS. I can tell you that they are top of the games. They are on the same level of MSB, CH, dCS or TotalDAC despite their relative low prices. Unfortunately, too many people equate price with sound quality.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I completely understand the confusion. It is easy to confuse neodio origine CD player and origin live TT, audio research and acoustic research, and Dan dagostino and Dan modwright being from the same manufacturers. Apogee speakers and the old apogee electronics

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Adyc, have we had some comms on Stacore in the past?

Alex/Asuify here has rightly encouraged me to find a dealer in the UK who runs Innuos Zenith and a reasonable dac. Well, that combination over here doesn't leave many options, Chord being one.

I am looking more at ladder r2r dac options like Kitsune Holo Springs or Denafrips Terminator, but the former won't be at an Innuos dealer, and the latter is direct sale from Singapore.

That leaves two reputable dealers local to me who can demo and sell Innuos Zenith and Chord. And thus I'm going to listen w as much an open mind as possible.

My initial reservation on Chord is that I suspect it may be too analytical/overly detailed/digital sheen type of sound.

However I've got a strong tonally dense and naturally warm type of presentation w my SETs/full range driver spkrs rig, optimsed to be both revealing and relaxing, and the one type of component that doesn't work here are overly laid back ones. Chord I'm sure can't be described as that.

I also like more chances to spend cash over time, so the upgrade path via M Scaler appeals.

I do find it fascinating w components that they can draw such strong opposite reactions, here on this thread w Adyc and Tao who love Chord dacs, and CKKeung who can't wait to have it out of the room.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I have OWNED various DACs mentioned in this thread and listened in MY system unlike someone who just listen DACs in different systems and rooms. Chord and MSB are the last man standing in my system.

But I want to emphasise this is my personal taste. My experience is nowhere universal. That’s why I hate making absolute statement like the best DAC. Your taste may be very different from mine. At certain level of performance, it is all personal preferences.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure, as it ever was thus. I may have to arrange a home trial of Hugo TT2 v Holo Springs dacs on the Zenith alongside what I hear in the two dealers' rooms.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Marc, why are you suddenly surprised that audiophiles like or don’t care for different components... nothing different about choosing a dac than any other component really it’s all just preference for the same reason some like Magico or others like horns and you like Zu.

PS. You should perhaps also consider your original idea of auditioning Qutest with M scaler as well... it is a good option to try out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing