Chronosonic XVX.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Kedar sent me this video to get more feel of the Wilson top level system sound. For those who have listened to the Master Croc, would you say they have a pretty similar sound "presentation" to this XLFs?

This doesn’t sound like any XLF I heard :)! This is horrible can’t even tell what it is visually from that dark blurry video.

david

Reactions: Halcro and asiufy

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I could not disagree more . One cant separate the sound of the speaker without taking in to account the room, gear and the SET UP of such.
Small increments of positioning make large differences in the performance of any high quality speaker. The ability of the speaker to resolve and play are greatly influenced by the acoustics of the room as well. These three things are inseparable! In my opinion one can't really make a good choice on the gear in front without this process being accomplished.
Whether one chooses this speaker or another the process to get it working correctly and coupled properly in the room and having the seating in the correct place as well is really job number 1. By the way if you bring a second speaker into the room with the first that alone effects the sound. I was just at an install that just removing two subs that were unused made a clear sound change in the room for the better.
My two cents!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This doesn’t sound like any XLF I heard :)! This is horrible can’t even tell what it is visually from that dark blurry video.

david
Ooh. My master jedi you might like better if I send a more naked video...no blurry stuff. :p

Reactions: bonzo75

Joe P

May 11, 2019
out of respect for Wilson, i don't want to get into detailed attributes of my speakers on a Wilson promo thread. but happy to get into it on a new thread. and i respect that Wilson has their preferred set-up culture.

Mike,thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I don't work for Wilson Audio and I'm not a dealer. I started this thread in the Wilson Audio Speaker Forum because I thought Wilson owners would be interested in the development of the new XVX.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
And even that is usually never enough to
make an adequate comparison unless the A/B is instant

Maybe like pushing a button on the remote to switch inputs?

I find that type of comparison (flipping quickly back and forth) rarely gives insight on differences or similarities between components. Takes more time to learn character.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I don't work for Wilson Audio and I'm not a dealer. I started this thread in the Wilson Audio Speaker Forum because I thought Wilson owners would be interested in the development of the new XVX.

my choice of the word 'promo' had no intended negative connotation but more just that it was about the introduction of a new Wilson speaker. i meant no disrespect to you or Wilson by it.

Reactions: Joe P

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I find that type of comparison (flipping quickly back and forth) rarely gives insight on differences or similarities between components. Takes more time to learn character.

If you have to flip back and forth too many times it is not really a difference worth noting. Differences should' he large enough, you should hear it within one to two changes, with another flip back to confirm, and should be consistent across most recordings in that system. So for example you find a difference in violin highs, it should be across violin highs on other recordings. Same with any other attribute like bass or overall natural ness.

And then, the difference should be reproducible across changes, else maybe one is optimally set up, other is not. You will know only by trying in different systems

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Well when I first visited Dave Wilson to hear the comparison between two different generations of his large speakers you sit in the listening position with music playing through one set of speakers. Push a button and it instantly switches to the other speakers. For my ears it was the best A/B comparison I ever heard. None of what you say was my experience but rather the opposite

Reactions: sbo6 and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Rhapsody's room is excellent for many back to back compares, speakers it otherwise.

As is Tang's room. Or David's. And some other hosts who sometimes have same set up across everything. Anamighty is very good for this stuff.

For example, the big Linn shop in the UK has Lyra atlas, Etna, one more model, dyna xv1 across the same arm.

At Lampi factory, you can play a CD loop. You can set the CD player to loop between two points. So the same loop keeps rewind repeating, as you toggle between caps or anything to go a blind AB. Of course you are not meant to use the loop alone but it is another tool to have.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
If you have to flip back and forth too many times it is not really a difference worth noting. Differences should' he large enough, you should hear it within one to two changes, with another flip back to confirm, and should be consistent across most recordings in that system. So for example you find a difference in violin highs, it should be across violin highs on other recordings. Same with any other attribute like bass or overall natural ness.

And then, the difference should be reproducible across changes, else maybe one is optimally set up, other is not. You will know only by trying in different systems

Character holds across recordings, yes. Same system, single change, controlled environment, is my preferred context. While a difference may hold a cross different systems, that's usually too many variables, particularly if you run across one, where there might be more synergy.

But I'm not a flipper, that is short interval back and forth. Imo, that's more likely to give misleading impressions than taking longer time with each. I do realize some folks don't have the time to take, much less live with components for weeks or months.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Rhapsody's room is excellent for many back to back compares, speakers it otherwise.

As is Tang's room. Or David's. And some other hosts who sometimes have same set up across everything. Anamighty is very good for this stuff.

For example, the big Linn shop in the UK has Lyra atlas, Etna, one more model, dyna xv1 across the same arm.

At Lampi factory, you can play a CD loop. You can set the CD player to loop between two points. So the same loop keeps rewind repeating, as you toggle between caps or anything to go a blind AB. Of course you are not meant to use the loop alone but it is another tool to have.

That's the way dealer environments are set up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Character holds across recordings, yes. Same system, single change, controlled environment, is my preferred context. While a difference may hold a cross different systems, that's usually too many variables, particularly if you run across one, where there might be more synergy.

But I'm not a flipper, that is short interval back and forth. Imo, that's more likely to give misleading impressions than taking longer time with each. I do realize some folks don't have the time to take, much less live with components for weeks or months.

Living with doesn't change anything, unless set up changes. One can stay clueless for ages unless he realizes otherwise. Living with changes for those who are very experienced with that component. I know people who have stayed with a speaker or a dac or analog set up for years and never realized how wrong they were, mainly because they did not have a reference for the component in the first place. Their only reference was to what they owned before. This is unfortunately more of a norm than an exception.

For example, if you want to listen to evolution acoustics, Mike's place is the best. AS... David or one set up by David... Vyger, the General's, and so on. Putting it up at yours for months won't help, imo, unless you are a set up whiz (which you might be). You saw the recent discussion on the vdh set up. How many have the resources like tang to immediately have on hand a tonearm set up expert to correct something they have bought? They would usually dismiss it as not compatible and sell off. At least that person was active on the forum to get feedback, many are not

Reactions: Rhapsody

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Well when I first visited Dave Wilson to hear the comparison between two different generations of his large speakers you sit in the listening position with music playing through one set of speakers. Push a button and it instantly switches to the other speakers. For my ears it was the best A/B comparison I ever heard. None of what you say was my experience but rather the opposite
WA XLF.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That would be it Joe

I remember John Giolas was playing the music. He said listen as long as I want and push the button whenever I want. IIRC the switch box was designed special for Dave with outputs identical in every way.

As I said it was the best A/B test ive ever done. I bought speakers the next day.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
at least you heard both speakers in the same room. not sure the time lag between, the gear differences, media........

other's mostly have not even had that to reference.

remember; you are the one typically talking about needing lots of controls (SPL's within .1 of a db), etc., etc., and such for proper compares.

honestly i'm sure that the big guy is a better speaker than the XLF or new XVX. but still where do we find the biggest actual performance differences? mostly 'other' factors.

Yes, I always claim that a lot of controls are needed in direct short time A/B tests, if people want to carry them and take conclusions from them. As these conditions are almost never met, I take these reports with plenty of care.

Fortunately my listening of X2, XLF of WAMM was not an A/B test and I could listen to all of them with different electronics a significant time in several sessions, some of them using my own preferred recordings.

Enough people with known review work have explained with great detail why the WAMMs are such great speakers, much better than I could do. If people are really interested these detailed reports are easily available. Surely skeptics can always fuel their skepticism using their imagination ... ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing