Chronosonic XVX.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Think of the XVX sitting between the XLF and C-Wamm...you will be there.

KR, there is still time for you, I believe that there is still availability with the C-Wamm.

Cheers!

Reactions: tima and KeithR

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don't feel the name sounds like a Wilson at all actually- they are taking cues from YG. When did they sell out of the "LE" WAMM? It took some time as I recall.

Sure, each of us has their own associations - and that's okay.. Wilson says: "The WAMM Master Chronosonic is the most time-domain correct loudspeaker in Wilson’s history." So to them, the Chronosonic name ties to the WAMM - or so I see it. I don't have sales information.

Last edited:

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
I don't feel the name sounds like a Wilson at all actually- they are taking cues from YG. When did they sell out of the "LE" WAMM? It took some time as I recall.

Chronosonic is a Wilson Audio trademarked name and is used on only one other Wilson speaker, the WAMM Master Chronosonic.
X is a part of the name designation of all of Wilson's top speakers (except WAMM) since X was first used for the X-1 Grand Slamm in 1993.

Wilson has used X material (now in its fifth iteration) on every top line Wilson speaker since 1993.

It's pretty easy to decipher exactly what Chronosonic XVX is going to be simply by using past Wilson naming conventions.

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
Just speculating here, per Wilson, the WAMM is going to be production limited. Maybe Wilson saw a stronger niche market out for the WAMM than they thought. So create a new product line that is close to ( may sound better due to the break through in caps), and more room friendly (less imposing) than the WAMM yet priced higher than the XLF. The XLF is not getting "replaced" but it will be squeezed by the ALEXX from below and this new higher product line, and will just disappear from the product line.

Joe P

May 11, 2019
XVX Parts.jpg
Other than the WAMM Master Chronosonic, the Chronosonic XVX features an unprecedented number of moving mechanical parts contained within a loudspeaker, each of which must be machined to the tightest tolerances. These metal elements are critical to the process of facilitating the XVX’s standard-setting time-domain accuracy.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Other than the WAMM Master Chronosonic, the Chronosonic XVX features an unprecedented number of moving mechanical parts contained within a loudspeaker, each of which must be machined to the tightest tolerances. These metal elements are critical to the process of facilitating the XVX’s standard-setting time-domain accuracy.
my emphasis

That's more evidence the XVX is at the top of tier.

"Module adjustability is refined down to a previously inconceivable five microseconds (five-millionths of a
second) per adjustment increment." - WAMM press release.

Reactions: ALF

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Poor man's Chronosonic ? :D

my guess is that room, whole system, and set-up will determine the performance more than whether it's XLF, XVX, or WAMM.

a speaker is just a tool in the chain and allows possibilities. all three of those speaker systems have high level capabilities.

OTOH we buy things for various reasons. there is no right or wrong of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
my guess is that room, whole system, and set-up will determine the performance more than whether it's XLF, XVX, or WAMM.

a speaker is just a tool in the chain and allows possibilities. all three of those speaker systems have high level capabilities.

OTOH we buy things for various reasons. there is no right or wrong of it.

Exactly...If I was to upgrade from Alexandria X-2.2, I would expect nominal improvement at best.
Could I justify the increase in Delta expenditure for nominal sound improvement alone ? (I don't think so) It would sound different but would it be better ?

A change and nothing else better to spend my money on would my primary justification/motivation. One thing I have learned moving to a new room. Room is everything, then equipment/setup.

It seems some people missed my income humor...lol
I don't have it in me to spend $300k on a speaker system...at least yet, anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Joe P

May 11, 2019
XVX Paint.jpg
As a part of the development cycle, Master Painter Bryan Schram paints a series prototype Chronosonic XVX modules utilizing a new Wilson-developed paint finish that will be launched in conjunction with the new loudspeaker.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Exactly...If I was to upgrade from Alexandria X-2.2, I would expect nominal improvement at best.
Could I justify the increase in Delta expenditure for nominal sound improvement alone ? (I don't think so) It would sound different but would it be better . . .

I would like for you to hear the Master Chronosonic and Subsonic. Not for the purpose of getting it, but for the purpose of hearing what I strongly suspect you will perceive as more than a nominal improvement.

I have never really cottoned over the years to Wilson speakers, but I still have not figured out why I was so bowled over by the sound.of the Master Chronosonic. Somehow it truly is a different level than the XLF.

Reactions: asiufy

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would like for you to hear the Master Chronosonic and Subsonic. Not for the purpose of getting it, but for the purpose of hearing what I strongly suspect you will perceive as more than a nominal improvement.

I have never really cottoned over the years to Wilson speakers, but I still have not figured out why I was so bowled over by the sound.of the Master Chronosonic. Somehow it truly is a different level than the XLF.

you are listening to a 'system'.......room, gear, sources, etc. the 'vibe' of an event. group dynamics and all that. probably some top level media to boot. and, of course, expectation bias.

what exactly is doing what?

unless you could switch one speaker for the other in the same context and set-up focus there is quite a bit of speculation involved comparing the end product. not saying there are not differences, but likely degrees less than you might think.

as i said above, the context (room, system, set-up) differences can easily trump the speaker differences.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I appreciate all of that, and I agree with all of that.

Still, I feel that I have listened to enough systems such that when something really bowls me over, it means something.

Reactions: tima and ALF

Joe P

May 11, 2019
you are listening to a 'system'.....

as i said above, the context (room, system, set-up) differences can easily trump the speaker differences.

What time adjustments do your speakers have?
Can they be adjusted to different rooms and listener positions and where (USA Dealers) can I go to hear them?
IMO, WA top of the line speakers (Chronosonic) are designed to provide SOTA performance in a variety of listening rooms and listening positions.
BTW, WA dealers are trained to insure the speaker they sell are installed correctly.
As I posted on another forum, I'd love to hear your system, but I have no desire to visit Seattle.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Mr.T seems to listen to his Vox Olympian/Kondo more than the Master Chronosonic/Dartz. In the end it is just which flavor you choose. Difference is not going to make or break at highest system level.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Can they be adjusted to different rooms and listener positions and where (USA Dealers) can I go to hear them?
IMO, WA top of the line speakers (Chronosonic) are designed to provide SOTA performance in a variety of listening rooms and listening positions.
BTW, WA dealers are trained to insure the speaker they sell are installed correctly.
As I posted on another forum, I'd love to hear your system, but I have no desire to visit Seattle.

no time adjustment......however......my twin tower speaker system is time and phase aligned. they have a first order crossover, and in my set-up every driver is equidistant from my listening position. as far as top to bottom coherence, it seems visitors are quite satisfied. i view my speakers as very adaptable to various type rooms.

out of respect for Wilson, i don't want to get into detailed attributes of my speakers on a Wilson promo thread. but happy to get into it on a new thread. and i respect that Wilson has their preferred set-up culture.

i've owned 3 sets of Wilson speakers; WP 3/2's in 1994-1996, WP 5.1's 1996-1998 and WP 6.0's 1998-2001.

not sure other systems with my speaker model that are open to visitors, but PM me and i'd be happy to connect you to who could work on that for you. if you change your mind and like to visit my room you are welcome any time.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

What wrong with Seattle?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing