Chronosonic XVX.

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I think we forget that at the higher end, we are listening to how a particular individual or small group voice their speakers. If this voicing aligns with our own take on how music should sound, then we are attracted to that designer. If a designer has listened to many different cone materials and to their ears paper cones are better, then I applaud their decision. If that approach matches what I believe/hear as what music should sound like, then I will buy their product over other designers who may like so called more modern materials. Performance measurements are part of the equation, but the final voicing by the designer dictates the final outcome.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I don't have any problem with taste or preferences (although am still waiting to hear a good argument against well behaved pistonic cone, which are available today - or why gross distortion of any kind is a good thing, etc) I am talking about all these ridicules claims...

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I think we forget that at the higher end, we are listening to how a particular individual or small group voice their speakers. If this voicing aligns with our own take on how music should sound, then we are attracted to that designer. If a designer has listened to many different cone materials and to their ears paper cones are better, then I applaud their decision. If that approach matches what I believe/hear as what music should sound like, then I will buy their product over other designers who may like so called more modern materials. Performance measurements are part of the equation, but the final voicing by the designer dictates the final outcome.

Then you must ask yourself why would you prefer a cone/driver that is not passing 30% of the information (pick a number, can be less or more - you get my point). If you know what you are doing you should be able to design a speaker that sound and measure well. It is the 21st century, you no longer have to choose.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I’ve owned Wilson speakers since 1993 and have been at the launch of virtually every new product. Plus this speaker is high on my radar (...)

I do not expect the XVX to have a nice impedance such as the X2 or XLF ... The WAMM has 1.8 ohm in the low midrange. But I can be wrong! ;)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I do not expect the XVX to have a nice impedance such as the X2 or XLF ... The WAMM has 1.8 ohm in the low midrange. But I can be wrong! ;)
At this price point most customers won't care as they can afford whatever amp(s) are required to drive them appropriately.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A serious question for all the Wilson owners and even more so at their 6 figure loudspeakers.

Does it “bother “ you that the company still uses paper cone drivers ? Objectively they aren’t pistons drivers and light years behind their competitors. Who are even less expensive retail price. (...)

A serious answer - not at all. Particularly after I listened the WAMMs with their paper cone drivers sounding more realistic in the bass than anything else I had heard before. Or the XLF's with Constellation Audio Hercules / Altair playing tunes in the bass much better than famous pistonic cones that I will not nominate.

It is known since long that subjective bass quality is due to very complex factors and oversimplified analysis of single isolated aspects can be misleading.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
At this price point most customers won't care as they can afford whatever amp(s) are required to drive them appropriately.

Surely, but I was thinking about Steve ML3's.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I hope you're wrong as my electronics will be buried with me.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are we all forgetting that audio, esp at this level is a recipe. Yep, components and materials that measure well have the advantage. But if a so-called "worse" material sounds better in synergy w the rest of the design, you'd be stupid not to choose it. Designer bias means all. I guess if the customer doesn't like the sound, he doesn't rate the bias either.

Reactions: BMCG and Aussienut

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
This strikes me as an exercise in expensive complexity with way too many components, requiring multiple connections and adjustments that will require a highly qualified technician from Wilson to spend major time to properly set up. The number of cartons and crates requiring storage for future resale is likely staggering. The price will probably astronomical. And then, endless tweaking. Unless you are a tweaker, more costly visits from a tech. It's appearance suggests a highly focused sweet spot, allowing only one listener at a time to really enjoy the best sound. My single driver electrostatic panels provide the whole room with full range delight, and a wide imaging area. I don't think I'm even remotely tempted.

Last edited:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
A serious answer - not at all. Particularly after I listened the WAMMs with their paper cone drivers sounding more realistic in the bass than anything else I had heard before. Or the XLF's with Constellation Audio Hercules / Altair playing tunes in the bass much better than famous pistonic cones that I will not nominate.

It is known since long that subjective bass quality is due to very complex factors and oversimplified analysis of single isolated aspects can be misleading.

The mind is a powerful thing, silly at times, yet so gripping.
When you get a break, if that ever happen, feel free to explain why bass from a paper cone will preform better then just about anything. Yes, we know there are other factors, but lets just say they are all equal...

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Then you must ask yourself why would you prefer a cone/driver that is not passing 30% of the information (pick a number, can be less or more - you get my point). If you know what you are doing you should be able to design a speaker that sound and measure well. It is the 21st century, you no longer have to choose.
Good question. Why do we continue to use these archaic materials when there is so much more we can have with the latest and greatest. And even worst, why do parts of the audio industry continue to use that decades old valve technology when solid state and now class D is so much superior? Our ears must be playing tricks on us or made its the wine.

Well maybe I’m showing my age but I still find a use For pen and paper. And this New fangled iPad pencil for some reason sits in my draw while I type this using the built in keyboard. Afraid it’s no hope for me. Just old fashioned.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

It's a shame, but your expectations won't be dissappointed. Not that much different than the WAMM though perhaps an easier load than the Alexx.

XVX:
Sensitivity: 93.5 dB @ 1W @ 1 meter @1 kHz
Nominal Impedance: 3 ohms / minimum 1.77 ohms @ 310 Hz
Minimum Amplifier Power: 100 watts per channel

Single-ended ouput stage topologies as found in Steve's ML3s (gorgeous), Lamm's ML2.2s, or direct coupled output stages as found on certain OTLs are so sonically appealing.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This strikes me as an exercise in expensive complexity with way too many components, requiring multiple connections and adjustments that will require a highly qualified technician from Wilson to spend major time to properly set up. The number of cartons and crates requiring storage for future resale is likely staggering. The price will probably astronomical. And then, endless tweaking. Unless you are a tweaker, more costly visits from a tech. It's appearance suggests a highly focused sweet spot, allowing only one listener at a time to really enjoy the best sound. My single driver electrostatic panels provide the whole room with full range delight, and a wide imaging area. I don't think I'm even remotely tempted.

A highly qualified technician from Wilson Audio (or perhaps from a dealer in whom Wilson Audio has supreme confidence) will set them up. Knowing the speakers will be properly set up and fine-tuned in your home is one of the stress-reducing elements of the Wilson Audio package.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
At least in the Far East, buyers of $400,000++ speakers do expect installation services directly from Wilson technicians not dealer. At this level most of their dealers don't even have them in their show room let alone installation experience on them.

Reactions: rockitman

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At least in the Far East, buyers of $400,000++ speakers do expect installation services directly from Wilson technicians not dealer. At this level most of their dealers don't even have them in their show room let alone installation experience on them.

The WAMM absolutely is installed directly by Wilson Audio. I just don’t happen to know if the XVX will be installed directly by Wilson Audio as well.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
A highly qualified technician from Wilson Audio (or perhaps from a dealer in whom Wilson Audio has supreme confidence) will set them up. Knowing the speakers will be properly set up and fine-tuned in your home is one of the stress-reducing elements of the Wilson Audio package.

And also baked into the price as it is with all Wilson speakers FWIW.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing