CJ ART mono power consumption?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Does anyone know how many amps each mono draws? Would it be okay to put them both on one 20A circuit?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I tried but preferred them on separate lines.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Myles

I have them on separate 20A lines right now but I have a very slight hum. Are your amps with the GAT quiet?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles

I have them on separate 20A lines right now but I have a very slight hum. Are your amps with the GAT quiet?

Hum or power transformer hum?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hmmmm...that is strange. Usually associate hum with the woofer and hiss with the tweeter.
No I don't have any issues but I might then try both amps on the same line and see if the hum stays or goes.

On another subject, since people do miss it, did you remember to compensate for for the GAT by reversing both speaker leads?

Wait until both of them have 300 hrs under their belts.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Myles.

Do I have to reverse the speaker leads with the GAT and ART combo? I assumed with this combo I would not have to.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles.

Do I have to reverse the speaker leads with the GAT and ART combo? I assumed with this combo I would not have to.

Nope the GAT is a single gain stage so it inverts phase. Thus need to reverse the right and left channel (+) and (-) leads.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Oh my. if this can get any better I'll be in trouble. I'll reverse the leads and report back. Thanks Myles.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Myles

Thank you for reminding me about the phase. I thought it sounded a little funny but now it's what it should have been. While I swapped the speaker cables I took the opportunity to put everything on one circuit. The hum is gone. I must have a ground issue. It was not very loud but now it's gone. Thanks.

I absolutely love the GAT and ART combo. it's incredible.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles

Thank you for reminding me about the phase. I thought it sounded a little funny but now it's what it should have been. While I swapped the speaker cables I took the opportunity to put everything on one circuit. The hum is gone. I must have a ground issue. It was not very loud but now it's gone. Thanks.

I absolutely love the GAT and ART combo. it's incredible.

Yes, or just ground one amplifier.

And yes, I'm slightly partial ;) The thing about the ART/GAT combo is that they speak the truth. Every recording sounds distinctive.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Nope the GAT is a single gain stage so it inverts phase. Thus need to reverse the right and left channel (+) and (-) leads.

Myles, my Concert Fidelity pre is also a single gain stage. Do I also need to reverse the leads? Thanks

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, my Concert Fidelity pre is also a single gain stage. Do I also need to reverse the leads? Thanks

I'd check but most likely.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Anyone had a chance to compare ARTs with Ref 250 ?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyone had a chance to compare ARTs with Ref 250 ?

IMHO you can't compare them. You should either compare the GAT+ARTs versus the REF40 or REF10 + REF250.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
IMHO you can't compare them. You should either compare the GAT+ARTs versus the REF40 or REF10 + REF250.

Of course the other issue is that the ART is solely single-ended while I believe the ARC is only balanced?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Of course the other issue is that the ART is solely single-ended while I believe the ARC is only balanced?

Although the ARC 250 has only XLR input connectors I think it can be used with SE -> XLR adapters. Some older models could not be used that way because they lacked the input inverter, but AFAIK the new models have a FET balanced input stage that can accept SE signals. ARC however advises user to use them in balanced mode.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Although the ARC 250 has only XLR input connectors I think it can be used with SE -> XLR adapters. Some older models could not be used that way because they lacked the input inverter, but AFAIK the new models have a FET balanced input stage that can accept SE signals. ARC however advises user to use them in balanced mode.

And I'm not sure that you don't lose something in the conversion of SE-->balanced or balanced-->SE. But that's what I had to do with the Cello amp review.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

My recommendation is to eschew adapters and have your cable guy and give you rca to xlr cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing