Clear Audio Double Matrix questions

labjr1

Jun 18, 2020
I currently clean my albums using the Clear Audio Smart Matrix Pro (very similar to the VPI HW1). I buy a lot of used albums as well as new and I clean everything before putting it on my turntable. I use the AIVS 3 step process and have had great success. I am considering moving to the Clear Audio Double Matrix Sonic RCM to speed up the process and to add sonic cleaning capabilities. The ability to clean both sides at the same time appeals greatly to me. However I question if the process is as effective as the 3 step process I use. I don't want to trade speed for lower quality. What are others thoughts on this? Is there a better solution instead?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I currently clean my albums using the Clear Audio Smart Matrix Pro (very similar to the VPI HW1). I buy a lot of used albums as well as new and I clean everything before putting it on my turntable. I use the AIVS 3 step process and have had great success. I am considering moving to the Clear Audio Double Matrix Sonic RCM to speed up the process and to add sonic cleaning capabilities. The ability to clean both sides at the same time appeals greatly to me. However I question if the process is as effective as the 3 step process I use. I don't want to trade speed for lower quality. What are others thoughts on this? Is there a better solution instead?

I use a Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic Record cleaner since 6 months know i have cleaned in the mean time more than 1000 LP i also clean the new Lps and i am very very happy whit it its build as a tank very easy too use it makes acceptable noise and is very fast the ability to clean manual or 3 automatic programs is also a bonus i cant think being whit out this machine!

Reactions: labjr1

labjr1

Jun 18, 2020
Thank you!! That is what I wanted to hear. I will place an order tomorrow. If it saves time it is worth the investment. Time is the one thing you cannot make.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Thank you!! That is what I wanted to hear. I will place an order tomorrow. If it saves time it is worth the investment. Time is the one thing you cannot make.

Get it and enjoy it!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, I use a double matrix as well. My only piece of advice going forward is to add cleaning fluid in quantities that you will immediately use. The reservoir does not keep the fluid from evaporating. Fluids are best kept in their bottles and following storage instructions anyway. Enjoy!

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Double Matrix Pro Sonic here. Love it, but yes its main value is for speedy cleans during listening sessions without interrupting the flow of things. In theory I'd like the option of multiple fluid tanks so I could do 3-step cleans, but in reality I'm not sure how much I'd use that since I hate doing dedicated cleaning sessions that involve much manual intervention. I find it does a superb job, but I only had a VPI 16.5 before (which I absolutely HATED using, and found myself skipping cleans sometimes which is a big NO NO for stylus wear). It's a dream to use - a single button press then something like 90 seconds for a normal cycle, which thoroughly cleans all but the grimiest records (plus a few optional spins under the carbon fiber brush for static). Then there's a quick clean mode which is great for touch-ups after the original clean (uses only a minimal amount of cleaning liquid). And I only occasionally use the double cycle for the really nasty stuff. I've always used AIVS No. 6 one-step solution here. Yep, keep a lot of it on hand because you can end up cleaning a LOT of records quickly!

The best feature is it takes a formerly dreaded task (for me) and makes it a nice relaxing (and cool to watch) part of the vinyl ritual.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing