Clear Audio Smart Matrix Pro - springs

labjr1

Jun 18, 2020
I like my Clear Audio Smart Matrix Pro - my only complaint is the springs that allow the vacuum tubes to pop up after shutting off the vacuum are not attached and easily fall off the vacuum tube. In the first 2 weeks of ownership I have lost one spring and nearly lost a second one. (yes it is somewhere in the house...but it is a big house). Has anyone else run into this issue? Clear Audio sells extra vacuum tubes with the springs ($94.00) but I already have 3 vacuum tubes so I don't need spare tubes and it seems ridiculous to have to buy the tube to get a $0.12 spring. I have written Clear Audio asking to purchase the springs but I have not heard back from them. I can have a custom spring maker make some but I am hoping for a better option as I would have to send them the spring to match.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I like my Clear Audio Smart Matrix Pro - my only complaint is the springs that allow the vacuum tubes to pop up after shutting off the vacuum are not attached and easily fall off the vacuum tube. In the first 2 weeks of ownership I have lost one spring and nearly lost a second one. (yes it is somewhere in the house...but it is a big house). Has anyone else run into this issue? Clear Audio sells extra vacuum tubes with the springs ($94.00) but I already have 3 vacuum tubes so I don't need spare tubes and it seems ridiculous to have to buy the tube to get a $0.12 spring. I have written Clear Audio asking to purchase the springs but I have not heard back from them. I can have a custom spring maker make some but I am hoping for a better option as I would have to send them the spring to match.
The spring design is a nightmare imo. I had to cut my springs to get it to the right compression and even then it wasn't perfect. Either it sucks too hard and the platter doesn't move or it is too loose. I cut my losses and bought a KLaudio.

Reactions: Steve Williams

labjr1

Jun 18, 2020
I've not had that problem. I cannot get my platter to stop - you can put considerable force on it and it keeps turning. The springs seem to work perfectly - they just fall off the vacuum tube when you remove them from the RCM and are easy to lose. Overall it is a great machine. I am going to upgrade to their automatic model as everyone who owns one raves about how good it is and how well built it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing