Clef and Note Reel to Reel tapes, incredible selection but are they official

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
http://www.clefandnote.com

I have seen their website and they have amazing titles! Does anyone know if they are official tape releases. Are they confirmed to be from actual masters? They have web page and they sell stuff online. If it is pirate that would be a little crazy that is why I am asking.

I am also sending them an e-mail asking for this information.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the info. I looked at their website. Quite incredible collection of tapes. I noticed a few flags. First there are only jazz and classical, even though they list other genres. The typical lists that I have seen from extra legal sources have lots of rock and pop, since that is where the demand is.

Second, I am very familiar with the work of Bob Witrak, High Definition Tape Transfers, where he transfers analogue tapes, mostly 15ips 2 track to high resolution, DSD256 and DXD352. Bob just does jazz and classical. It looks like most all of the titles are included in the titles that Bob has on his website (which has been going for many years.)

Larry

Reactions: knasty

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Dear Larry,

As far as I know Bob Witrak does not sell these titles. He has only Howard Hanson's An American Dreamer for sale and it from the international phonographic catalogue.

What do you think the case maybe here? Do you think they get dxd files and copy to tape?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Dear Larry,

As far as I know Bob Witrak does not sell these titles. He has only Howard Hanson's An American Dreamer for sale and it from the international phonographic catalogue.

What do you think the case maybe here? Do you think they get dxd files and copy to tape?

Yes, what I am talking about is that the titles that Bob sells which have been digitized by him for HDTT appear to be the same as most all of the titles offered by Clef and Note on R2R tapes. A logical conclusion would be to take one of Bob's digital files and copy it to tape. That would allow them to say it comes from an analogue source (the one that Bob used) without saying that there was an intermediate digital step in the process.

You can PM me if you want to talk more.

Larry

Reactions: kodomo

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Well, the company has replied my enquiry. I quote what they write here directly;

"All our recordings are copies made directly from the original master, so between the original master and the registration there is only one pass, so we have the highest quality.
All recordings are of analogical origin, therefore from analog to analog.
All the works in our catalog are official version."

If their claims are true, than this is a great selection.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Well, the company has replied my enquiry. I quote what they write here directly;

"All our recordings are copies made directly from the original master, so between the original master and the registration there is only one pass, so we have the highest quality.
All recordings are of analogical origin, therefore from analog to analog.
All the works in our catalog are official version."

If their claims are true, than this is a great selection.
Kodomo san. You be the first infantry and let me know. :D

Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: kodomo

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
I am suspicious of the European companies because of their copyright laws. A number of the tapes shown were issued back in the day as 7 1/2 quarter track tapes. Is that what they consider original masters? Just my opinion. The Jimmy Smith title was released by The Tape Project

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing