Clipping of amp

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I am using Ypsilon amp which has a light in the front which denotes the amp is on, today I played a new album from Pink Floyd brick in the wall and I noticed that the light on the amp was blinking from normal to dim as the music was dynamic the light dimmed with the music is it normal or am I driving the amp to its limit or is the amp underpowered for the speakers which are 91 db @8ohms.
but after an hour of listening to the amps were cool, not warm or hot what could it possibly mean.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I once had a Naim nap250 which did exactly the same. I think it was just additional current being required during more dynamic passages, maybe taking a little off the light supply?
I wouldn’t worry initially. Try the same piece at different levels and see what happens

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing