Coda no 16 amplifier

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I think he liked it. I read somewhere that Coda sells more product in Europe than in the US and that they're not much into marketing. Jeff Fritz of SoundStage Ultra reviewed the Coda 15.0 (two generations back from the 16.0) very favorably some years ago.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Hi,
I have owned CODA gear for several years. I’ve owned the CS, CSX, 15.5 and now the 16 amplifier. I’ve also owned the CODA CP preamp and now the latest 0.7x preamp.

The latest designs with the new FETs are amazing products. The noise floor is amazingly low resulting in detail, depth, imagining and soundstage that have to be heard to believe. The tonal qualities of the 0.7x rival tube designs that I’ve owned or heard over the years. The Automobiles and Roadhouses cut is just amazing. It cause goosebumps as big as Horseturds!

This combination of preamp and amplifiers (I own two CODA 16 amplifiers and the 0.7x) combined with my Legacy Audio V speakers and my Lampizator Pacific DAC brings the sound quality of my system to heights I’ve never heard anywhere. I always loved my Pacific and had no idea I hadn’t really heard what it could do. Ditto for the Vs. I think that Lukasz and Bill might be surprised at what their respective designs can do.

One thing the CODA preamp does that I’ve not heard from other designs capable of occurs when I use the volume control to turn the system up. Usually a preamp plays the system louder (Duh) but the 0.7x volume control causes the instrument(s) and voice(s) to swell individually without one being reminded that the volume has increased. Listening at low volumes is a treat as one doesn‘t notice a loss of detail or impact.

I would be glad to write more if any are interested.
One thing for sure if you’ve not heard the CODA new designs believe me they are game changers and well worth seeking out.

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
. . . I would be glad to write more if any are interested.

Please do. I would be especially interested in hearing your thoughts about how (1) the Coda CP compares to the 07x and (2) how the 15.5 compares to the 16.0. Did your 15.5 have the new FETs on the input stage?

I'm running an 07x and a custom Coda power amp that contains the power supply of the 15.0/33.0 and the amp channels of the 16.0. What you describe re: listening at low volumes is exactly what I've noticed, and on my Maggies no less! I thought they were not capable of the kind of punch and grunt I'm hearing now (still less than large dynamic woofers, but the best I've heard them in 7 years).

Last edited:

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Hi,
I owned a CP a few years ago and it was very good. I compared it to a two chassis Pass Preamp and I kept the CODA CP. Latter I replaced my CP with a tube preamp and was happy with the tube unit. I would guess that a CP with the new FETs would sound much better than the older one. The new FETs are game changers.

I‘ve known Doug at CODA for several years. He’s told me that the 0.7x is much better than the CP. It should be as it is more expensive. My system never sounded as good as this with my CODA 15.5 amps driven by ARC, Levinson, Gryphon or any other of number of preamps I’ve auditioned or friends have brought over. That being said, I’d think a CP with the new FETs might put many preamps(with a great phono stage included) to shame and has got to be one of the best buys in the audio world. But it is not an 0.7x.

But I’d say the Coda 0.7x preamp is the best of best best buys! Because I wouldn’t be surprised at all that the CODA 0.7x preamp @ $6500.00 will outperform many solid state or tube preamps in the 20k to 30K price range.

And here’s a little more news . . . . . 0.7x is soon to be upgraded with a SOTA outboard power supply!

Wow. I ALSO upgraded my two 15.5s with the latest boards. Doug told me except for a couple of odd caps my amps sound identical to 16s. My amplifiers sound incredible now. I have played my system with my new updated amps with my previous preamp and there‘s plenty of new magic that didn’t exist before. But pair the 0.7x preamp with my virtual pair of 16s and instead of magic, one has enchantment.

A friend with two legendary pieces of audio gear, the Gryphon Sonata preamp and a Krell KSA 250 amplifier, recently updated his system with the CODA 0.7x and the new CODA 8 amplifier. This pair manifests most of the same same sonic attributes that the 0.7x and the 16s demonstrate so well. All I can say is that the Gryphon and Krell are designated to the closet! (Both Gryphon and Krell units above were recapped and reconditioned to bring them up to their new specs!)

To illustrate the sonics I’ll provide the readers with some examples from recordings that many of us are familiar with. I need to point out that I’m away from home and trying to name the albums and cuts from memory.

One of the first is a Three Blind Mice recording called Misty and the cut, I believe was Angel Eyes. The pianist plays the piano with an attack that I as a pianist could never begin to do without bruised and mangled fingers. The pianist also either taps along with the music or uses the sustain pedal with gusto. With my previous preamp one knew you were hearing a powerful played piano by a dynamic pianist. But when played back with the 0.7x and the 16s it sounded more like a piano than I’ve ever heard before. And the work with the sustain pedal through the 16s and 0.7x is a revelation. Each pump with the pedal resonates and swells front to back of my listening room and from side to side. And the attack at the keys, oh man one can hear the fingers as they strike the keys. Its an amazing recording and if you haven’t heard it you should seek it out.

Another recording I’ve been amazed with is Suo Gon, a track from Steven Spielberg‘s soundtrack Empire of the Sun. This is a recording of a boy’s choir. One can hear Jim, the soloist, sing out from the other boys during his solo. Jim never gets lost in the crowd. One gets a sense of height, depth, and width of the stage that’s uncanny. I’ve listened to this recording many times in many systems and in many homes and its never come to life like this. And the recording never sounded like this through the older 15.5s and my previous preamp. Those FETs make a great difference.

I have (I think) a superior DAC, the Lampizator Pacific, exemplary. speakers in the Legacy Vs, a six pack of JL Audio F113 Mk 2s, and a great streamer and an Ethernet support system for my Auralic Aries G2. These components make music together according to various friends that heard my system before. Now they’ve heard the system with the Coda 16s and the 0.7x and they believe the difference is profound. I just shake my head in disbelief and have to be pried from my chair.

Oh my, I’m typing while watching the debates and I’m getting fracked! More if you want latter.

Last edited:

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Anyone mind if I start a thread/review of the CODA amps and preamp? I‘d want to copy some of this material into the review. I believe that these pieces are significant and deserve the attention of members of this forum.

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
Anyone mind if I start a thread/review of the CODA amps and preamp? I‘d want to copy some of this material into the review. I believe that these pieces are significant and deserve the attention of members of this forum.
I say go for it. Agreed that Coda needs more coverage. Also will need pictures, of the Coda gear but also your six pack of JL subs(!).

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I’ll get on it.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I say go for it. Agreed that Coda needs more coverage. Also will need pictures, of the Coda gear but also your six pack of JL subs(!).

+1 on this!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Hi,
I owned a CP a few years ago and it was very good. I compared it to a two chassis Pass Preamp and I kept the CODA CP. Latter I replaced my CP with a tube preamp and was happy with the tube unit. I would guess that a CP with the new FETs would sound much better than the older one. The new FETs are game changers.

I‘ve known Doug at CODA for several years. He’s told me that the 0.7x is much better than the CP. It should be as it is more expensive. My system never sounded as good as this with my CODA 15.5 amps driven by ARC, Levinson, Gryphon or any other of number of preamps I’ve auditioned or friends have brought over. That being said, I’d think a CP with the new FETs might put many preamps(with a great phono stage included) to shame and has got to be one of the best buys in the audio world. But it is not an 0.7x.

But I’d say the Coda 0.7x preamp is the best of best best buys! Because I wouldn’t be surprised at all that the CODA 0.7x preamp @ $6500.00 will outperform many solid state or tube preamps in the 20k to 30K price range.

And here’s a little more news . . . . . 0.7x is soon to be upgraded with a SOTA outboard power supply!

Wow. I ALSO upgraded my two 15.5s with the latest boards. Doug told me except for a couple of odd caps my amps sound identical to 16s. My amplifiers sound incredible now. I have played my system with my new updated amps with my previous preamp and there‘s plenty of new magic that didn’t exist before. But pair the 0.7x preamp with my virtual pair of 16s and instead of magic, one has enchantment.

A friend with two legendary pieces of audio gear, the Gryphon Sonata preamp and a Krell KSA 250 amplifier, recently updated his system with the CODA 0.7x and the new CODA 8 amplifier. This pair manifests most of the same same sonic attributes that the 0.7x and the 16s demonstrate so well. All I can say is that the Gryphon and Krell are designated to the closet! (Both Gryphon and Krell units above were recapped and reconditioned to bring them up to their new specs!)

To illustrate the sonics I’ll provide the readers with some examples from recordings that many of us are familiar with. I need to point out that I’m away from home and trying to name the albums and cuts from memory.

One of the first is a Three Blind Mice recording called Misty and the cut, I believe was Angel Eyes. The pianist plays the piano with an attack that I as a pianist could never begin to do without bruised and mangled fingers. The pianist also either taps along with the music or uses the sustain pedal with gusto. With my previous preamp one knew you were hearing a powerful played piano by a dynamic pianist. But when played back with the 0.7x and the 16s it sounded more like a piano than I’ve ever heard before. And the work with the sustain pedal through the 16s and 0.7x is a revelation. Each pump with the pedal resonates and swells front to back of my listening room and from side to side. And the attack at the keys, oh man one can hear the fingers as they strike the keys. Its an amazing recording and if you haven’t heard it you should seek it out.

Another recording I’ve been amazed with is Suo Gon, a track from Steven Spielberg‘s soundtrack Empire of the Sun. This is a recording of a boy’s choir. One can hear Jim, the soloist, sing out from the other boys during his solo. Jim never gets lost in the crowd. One gets a sense of height, depth, and width of the stage that’s uncanny. I’ve listened to this recording many times in many systems and in many homes and its never come to life like this. And the recording never sounded like this through the older 15.5s and my previous preamp. Those FETs make a great difference.

I have (I think) a superior DAC, the Lampizator Pacific, exemplary. speakers in the Legacy Vs, a six pack of JL Audio F113 Mk 2s, and a great streamer and an Ethernet support system for my Auralic Aries G2. These components make music together according to various friends that heard my system before. Now they’ve heard the system with the Coda 16s and the 0.7x and they believe the difference is profound. I just shake my head in disbelief and have to be pried from my chair.

Oh my, I’m typing while watching the debates and I’m getting fracked! More if you want latter.

Great write-up.....

Reactions: analyzer

abrich

Mar 6, 2012
I compared it to a two chassis Pass Preamp and I kept the CODA CP.
Steve, was it the XP20 or the upgraded XP22, please?
This is a very bold statement, Steve! Would you include here the XP32 from PASS Labs as well? I've auditioned the XP32 with some PASS XA amps and was very impressed...
Dear experts, do you belive the 0.7x will "play nicely" with PASS XA power amps? Will there still be that synergy Steve described (in all-CODA setup)?

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
In 40 years of audio passion I never heard the name of Coda until a few months ago. Recently a dealer friend of mine gave me the opportunity to try a Power amp model S20 (a fully balanced circuit 200 Watts per Channel). I was very surprised of the overall sound, excellent, finely detailed and well balanced into the entire spectrum.
In October I'll try also the Continuum TS model, not inherently balanced but more powerful (400 w) with a transformer of 3kw.
My front-end it's not of high-end value, nevertheless decent quality. Preamp is the Emmlabs PRE-2SE.
After that I'll make my choice. I'll update the forumers community of WBF.
Marco

Reactions: CKKeung

kairosman

Oct 12, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
Bought a CODA No 8 version II about 4 months ago with the 1st 18 watts in Class A, and I gotta say I still cannot believe CODA sells this amp for 6K. I guess they really don't care to compete in NA with Pass or Roland or Levinson etc. It is much better in every category than any amp I have owned before. I need to upgrade my source asap because I am sure I have not come close to reaching this amp's sonic potential. Can't imagine that I would ever need to upgrade to the 16, but in this hobby one should never say never I suppose.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Bought a CODA No 8 version II about 4 months ago with the 1st 18 watts in Class A, and I gotta say I still cannot believe CODA sells this amp for 6K. I guess they really don't care to compete in NA with Pass or Roland or Levinson etc. It is much better in every category than any amp I have owned before. I need to upgrade my source asap because I am sure I have not come close to reaching this amp's sonic potential. Can't imagine that I would ever need to upgrade to the 16, but in this hobby one should never say never I suppose.

I think coda is just not respected in the west. When I bring it up in audio discords I am just laughed at and waved off.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Steve, was it the XP20 or the upgraded XP22, please?

This is a very bold statement, Steve! Would you include here the XP32 from PASS Labs as well? I've auditioned the XP32 with some PASS XA amps and was very impressed...
Dear experts, do you belive the 0.7x will "play nicely" with PASS XA power amps? Will there still be that synergy Steve described (in all-CODA setup)?
I’m not sure which two box preamp it was. I believe the XP 20. The XP 20 was a very nice preamp. I liked it a great deal. But the CODA CP was more than competitive with it. I wanted the two box unit in my heart. But my head said if it was better than the CP it was only marginal so I saved lots of money and stayed with the CP. The CODA CP preamp has been upgraded with the new FETs as well and it has a very nice phono stage with the ability change the gain for each input and can change cartridge impedances as well. (The 0.7x can change input gain, but has no built in phono stage, as CODA builds a very fine phono stage called the 06x.)

The 0.7x is a marvelous preamp. My respect for it grows daily. It always sounds true to life. But also retains that sound that tube users love. And it still is so accurate. It’s easy to change small things like footers, toppers, ROON settings, etc and hear the difference. In the winter I open one of my basement windows to let the heat out and keep the room nice and chilly. Until the addition of the CODA 0.7x I couldn’t tell if that window being open or closed made any difference. But now one can notice instantly when that window is open or closed. I could not do this with several high end preamps such as the ARC Ref 3, Levinson 32, the CODA CP, Gryphon Sonata, or the Dude. Missouri was in the throughs of Summer when I had the XP 20 so I kept the AC in and the heat out. In other words I never opened that window. But based on the others, I don’t think I would have.

I can’t say how the 0.7x would compare to the XP 32. I’d guess very favorably. Doug Dale at CODA has promised a 0.7x upgrade, a separate power supply hopefully available soon. If this comes about I’d bet on the 0.7x to best the best. It truly is an amazing unit.

I’d guess that a CODA matched with a Pass or Threshold amp would always sound great together. If you look at the layout of a CODA and PASS preamp there is a family resemblance that is easy to recognize.
There are sonic resemblances as well. But the new FETs CODA has implemented are game changers. I’ve two friends with No. 8 amplifiers. The latest received his a couple of weeks ago. Of course I had to go hear his system. And of course his system was playing when I arrived. One could hear the difference immediately in his system. The new CODA amps and preamps have a way with piano that I’ve never heard before. They sound so much more realistic and like a piano. I’ve played pianoforte since I was 10 so I know well the overtones, dynamics and percussive nature a piano produces. I own two 15.5 amplifiers upgraded to the new 16 spec so I knew what the piano could sound like. Bryan’s CODA 8 brought that same character that his ML 532 amplifier couldn’t match. I believe his pocket book is salivating for a chance to purchase an 0.7x preamp as well. But since he’s using a Levinson preamp that has a DAC and phonostage built in too, his pocketbook is having a hard time convincing wifey of the wisdom of this upgrade. But I think it will happen.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
First impressions with N.? 8 after two weeks with S20.
I asked to try a V3 version (400w per channel) without meters and I received a V1 version (150w) with vu-meters... a bit disappointing, still my unit was the only one model 8 available in the hand of Italian distributor.
Nevertheless the impressions are truly satisfying. Just a little bit less "liquid" of S20 (200w per channel). Where the model 8 is superior is in the overall detail and transparency, probably the FET input stage gives a better separation and it's faster than older design.
The lower bass is clearly more heavy, punchy and defined; I suppose due to the larger transformer of 3kw.
Voices and midrange are minimally recessed in comparison of S20, that said the speech of singers are in any case easy to follow.
I'll make some tests in these days. At this time I have not reached yet the red area of vu-meters, nevertheless I probably would choose at least the V2 version with more reserve power for my EA MM3's...
More to come...
Marco

Last edited:
Reactions: zonto and AZWink

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Best value in US made, upper tier solid state. I'll soon have the 06x and 07x that I'll be using to drive ATC SCM100ASLT active speakers. Very excited!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing