Coda no 16 amplifier

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
That’s a pretty good and detailed summary, so thanks for that I’ve had more than a few dealers tell me the same thing, more or less, with the notable exception of a Coda dealer who clearly had a dog in the fight. I have owned 4 Krell amos since the 1990’s. One amp I have my sights on if I’m ever feeling rich is the new Infigo Method 6. A few dealers tell me it’s among the single best amplifiers they’ve ever heard. Class A and runs cool. Expensive though at 20k. https://infigoaudio.com/page/method-6/ And BTW, it is clear to me that I couldn't agree more insofar as spending big $$ in an emo for a 1K cost speaker system. It would be like purchasing the most expensive Pirelli tires for a used beat up VW! Makes no sense
Spending the $7K on the LRS+ was not that much of a impediment since the LRS+ is rather good would have been amazing with the KRELL. The pairing of the NS5000 with the smooth 300XD was the bigger negative factor. I also wanted to hear the AHB2 on the NS5000, since I think a pair of the AHB2's on the NS5000 maybe excellent. I have had the AHB2 about 5x in the past few years and it has a strong place in my gear list.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
I’ve owned and or had close friends whose systems I’ve helped voice I’ve had plenty of experience with
the following amplifiers:
Hafler: DH 200 and 500 with Musical Concepts mods
Acoustat: TNT 120 and 200
Conrad Johnson: I don’t remember the model
ARC D 90b, D79b, D 120 and 60 and others
Levinson 335, 336, 332, 436, 536, 33, 53
Krell: KSA 250, KMA 500s, KSA 100, KMA 200, probably more
Paramount JC 1s and 2s
CODA: CS monos, CSX monos, # 8, #15, 15.5,
and 16s.

There are probably a few more I can’t recall.

I can say using the CODA 15, 15.5, and soon the 16s habrought nothing but a big smile to my face. In my system the CODA amps are the best I’ve heard. The CODA CSX monos were excellent as well and are the amps the #8 was derived from.
The way CODA has designed their class A circuit that delivers very little heat into my room is quite an accomplishment.
At one time I owned and was tri amping with KMA 500s for bass, a KSA 250 for mids, and another KSA 250 for treble and believe me after an hour of listening my room felt like sauna. That was a great sound though.

I did something similar with two pair of CODA CS mono amps and a pair of CSX monos and could listen all night without heat blight.

The cost of the CODA electronics is very reasonable compared to most high end amplifiers of similar specs.

And aside from replacing a fuse when a tube DAC burped have never had any issues.

And Doug one of the CODA designers and partners is very easy to work with. How many times do you get to speak with one of the designers and engineers when calling a high end manufacturer?

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
@yyzSB i own the method 4 dac and the method 6 amplifier and I’m happy. I work for the company and I’m enjoying the music more than anything. Take care

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I noticed that I had said I would get the AHB2 for my LRS+ speakers in an earlier post. I decided against it due to power matching issues and instead bought a Sanders Sound System Magtech amp (used $4K from Sanders). What a great amp for the LRS+. In many ways, it sounds as good as the CODA #16 on the LRS+. The Magtech has much more watts and maybe similar power supply as the CODA. The Class A CODA as a bit of an edge on the top end but the Magtech is the best Class AB amp I have owned. Better than the Class D amps I have owned too, except the modded Peachtree GAN1 (lower powered).

I am using the CODA #16 with my Yamaha NS5000. It is dialed in nicely now and likely broken in too. I was wondering if I should still get the KEF Blade 2 Meta with the KRELL KSA i400 amp that I originally planned for. I now know that they would fit in my Livingroom space. However, the CODA #16 with the NS5000 is magical and this is going to stay a very long time.

@Calvinj Looks like my guess was correct. Congrats on getting the great sounding Projecta amp I heard at the LA audio show out to market.

Infigo Audio Inc | Infigo Audio Inc
CEO/Founder Hans Looman has been consulting to former Resonessence Labs, a spin-off of ESS Technology, the well known creators of the Sabre DAC chip, and helped them run the various audio shows they were presenting in the past nearly 10 years. His amplifier design was showcased many years as the Projecta amplifier and was originally planned to be released as Resonessence brand.

Unfortunately Resonessence Labs ceased business, the amplifier will now be released under our own new brand: Infigo Audio

I have a product suggestion for my needs. I hope you guys can get a pure Class A headphone amp out to market. Or a low powered amp like the Schitt Aegir. I use the Aegir as my RAAL SR1a headphone amp. Some people roll tubes, I roll amps for the RAAL SR1a. The headphone space is where most of the audio action is, especially where you will find younger people.

The CODA #16 and the KRELL Duo 175XD were the 2 best 2-channel amps I have used with the SR1a phones. The $800 Aegir is very close to the same sonic quality with the SR1a. The KRELL is too big to fit in my office space. I am going to keep rolling the amps for the RAAL phones. Maybe a used First Watt amp next.

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
@yyzSB it is called the method 3 it has various design improvements. It’s better built. Stereophile did a review on it. It’s all Class A that doesn’t get hot. The reviewer raves about the sounds. It is musical with all the details and space with a slight tubelike quality. I have the stereo version the method 6. I’m as happy as ever. Thanks for the history lesson on remembering Hans from back in the day. Hans started his own company INFIGO we will be at Capital Audiofest in Washington in November.

plind

Feb 13, 2019
Hi there!
Coda 15.0 owner living in Sweden :) Very happy with it and have been using tube pre´s on it. Unbalanced.
There is a Coda FET 07x for sale now (used). Not cheap but could it offer a synergy benefit with the 15.0 that the tube pre´s don´t?

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
Hi there!
Coda 15.0 owner living in Sweden :) Very happy with it and have been using tube pre´s on it. Unbalanced.
There is a Coda FET 07x for sale now (used). Not cheap but could it offer a synergy benefit with the 15.0 that the tube pre´s don´t?

I don't think you can make generalized statements about the 07x FET preamp against all tube preamps. However, the 07x's sound has been described as tube-like for a solid state preamp. So potential advantages could include a lower noise floor / increased resolution, less maintenance and tube nervosa, and having matchy-matchy components. If the price at which the Coda is being offered local to you is low enough, you could always try it out and if you don't like it then just sell it for what you paid.

Reactions: plind

plind

Feb 13, 2019
I don't think you can make generalized statements about the 07x FET preamp against all tube preamps. However, the 07x's sound has been described as tube-like for a solid state preamp. So potential advantages could include a lower noise floor / increased resolution, less maintenance and tube nervosa, and having matchy-matchy components. If the price at which the Coda is being offered local to you is low enough, you could always try it out and if you don't like it then just sell it for what you paid.

Bought it and it´s a lovely combination with my Coda 15.0! Yes, tubelike sound with control,slam and resolution. Never harsh.

Reactions: zonto

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
You’re absolutely correct. The combo if CODA 15 or CODA 16 (and I’d also include the CODA 8 or any CODA amp) abd the 0.7x preamplifier is very difficult to beat. It does have a tubelike sound. But still its very neutral, its not intended to be a solid state preamp that sounds like a tube preamp.

I know many here are not interested in budget components, but the CODA CB preamplifier which includes a phono stage ($4100) has the family sound and for those starting out or building a second system could be an ideal choice.

For those with an 0.7x, Doug at CODA keeps promising a 0.7x with outboard power supply will someday be available.

I’m on the list if that ever happens as I believe that will easily make it competitive with the best of the elite preamplifiers available.

Now if i can convince Doug to update the 0.6x as both a phono stage and a DS Audio phono cartridge equalizer.

• Love

plind

Feb 13, 2019
Will it be possible to upgrade existing fet07X with external powersupply? Guess that it would require some technical modifications made by service team.

Reactions: Steve Rowan

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
That is a conversation I’ve had with Doug. I think that’s what he might prefer to have happen. It would if course require sending the preamp back for modification. Then of course how much it would cost to modify, vs a new build vs how the dealers would like it handled. I’m sure the dealers would like to sell a new preamp. So there’s lots to consider.
The biggest reason the new preamp has not appeared i believe is because its very hard to keep up with demand now. Audiophiles have discovered CODA and the demand is high.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Another preamp to consider with the CODA #16 is the Holo Serene. It is slightly warmer than the Benchmark LA4 that I am currently using with the #16. I plan on using a warm PlaytBack Designs Dream DAC next year so the LA4 will work great with that combo.

I changed from the CODA 07x preamp to the Serene and LA4. I love these 2 preamps.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Another preamp to consider with the CODA #16 is the Holo Serene. It is slightly warmer than the Benchmark LA4 that I am currently using with the #16. I plan on using a warm PlaytBack Designs Dream DAC next year so the LA4 will work great with that combo.

I changed from the CODA 07x preamp to the Serene and LA4. I love these 2 preamps.
If you don't have multiple sources you can use the PBD DAC variable volume control directly to the amp, which is what I'm currently doing. But I'm wondering if there might be a benefit in adding a preamp between the PBD MPS-8 and AGD Duet amps. Although, I just the Stereophile review on the Holo Serene that said it was completely transformed by adding an interconnect that was 2x the cost of the Serene itself. Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole of adding a preamp and also another expensive interconnect to get the "best" sound.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I have tried DAC direct to amp with all the DACs I had with volume. The best DAC for this being the Lumin X1 with the LeedH volume control. However, the LA4 and Serene make all DACs I have used sound better. I sold the Lumin X1 to buy some speakers, Yamaha NS5000. These 2 preamps are not too imposing on the sound, which I like since I love the CODA #16 so much. The LA4 and Serene are as quiet as it gets. Another preamp that is as quiet, but I hated was the Topping pre90.

Those reviews and posts about something being completely transformed by a cable are a bit tricky to decipher. I am not doubting that it sounded different. I use Audience AU24 SE XLR out of the Schitt Yggi+ LM DAC to the Holo preamp. That cable made a nice sonic presentation. With the Benchmark LA4 preamp, I currently have the Benchmark DAC3B and I use the low-cost Benchmark XLR since I do not hear better sound with the AU24 SE XLR. I find speaker cables a much bigger sonic change than other cables in the chain.

How do you like the synergy of the PBD MPS-8 with the AGD amps? I have the PBD Streamer-IF that I am using with the Benchmark DAC3B via SPDIF. When I get the Dream DAC I will use the fibre optic of the Streamer-IF. What streamer are you using? This streamer even using SPDIF is in the class of the Lumin X1 and Sonore OpticalRendu (both via fibre optic).

Reactions: Rumpole

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Would be interesting to know how good is the PBD MPD-8 direct into CODA 16 VS with CODA 07x in the chain.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing