Coen bros interview, funny

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Coen brothers interview:

Coen Bros: "We had to have a lizard crash pad for Raising Arizona. A lizard shoots off a rock in the movie, and we had to have a preapproved soft place for it to land." More on animals in movies in comments below

Joel: When you do a Screen Actors Guild movie that uses animals in any way you have to get the American Humane Society to sign off on it. We blew up a cow in O Brother, which meant we had to send the Humane Society work tapes while the film was being shot. When they saw the cow scene they didn’t believe it was computer generated, but I assure you it was.

Ethan: There is a rule that you can’t get a cow anywhere near a moving car.

Joel: It might cause the cow stress.

Ethan: You can’t upset the animals.

=============

Ethan: Yeah, if an animal doesn’t do what you want it to do, you just grab another one. But the rules for working with animals are a lot more stringent than those for working with babies.

Joel: There is definitely no comparison.

Joel: The pit. You can’t do that with animals.

Ethan: Believe me, it is remarkable thing to see how animals are monitored. You cannot kill a mosquito on screen.

==================
Was it challenging to direct all the babies you had in that movie?

Joel: It was bizarre. Whenever you have an infant, you have to triple or quadruple them. When we had five kids in the movie, we had to have 15 babies on the set.

Ethan: The picture babies and the standby babies. Cacophonous, nightmarish.

Joel: We had the baby pit—a big padded pit they were tossed into when we weren’t using them. The mothers all sat around the perimeter knitting.

Ethan: Whenever we needed a baby we reached into the pit and grabbed one. It was kind of like a barbecue pit.

Joel: You can’t really direct a baby, which is the problem. You take one out of the pit, put it in front of the camera and see if it behaves. If not, you toss it back into the pit and get another. It’s a lot like working with animals, actually.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, more reasons why politically correct life in 2019 sucks.

Reactions: mulveling

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
We cannot kill animals on-screen, but 1000 species will go extinct this year because of human CO2 and Methane emissions.

Life just sucks in general IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You treat babies and animals like audio. Take a preamp out the pit, see if it behaves, no hiss, else put another one in

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The Coen brothers together are a happy animal family. I love these guys, they're among the best filmmakers today. Check all their films, and acquire more wisdom.

* Their last one was/is on Netflix; very very very good...times six.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Coen brothers together are a happy animal family. I love these guys, they're among the best filmmakers today. Check all their films, and acquire more wisdom.

Garbage. Worst shit ever.

Can't kill a mosquito? eh... I don't see why not.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some films exhibit class, flair, charisma, panache, ... some movie critics lack finesse, indulgence, parameter, verse, ... some film directors we love their films; they don't lack tact.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
You treat babies and animals like audio. Take a preamp out the pit, see if it behaves, no hiss, else put another one in
I’m not sure that babies and animals would actually sound any better with mooks though...

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Keep trying to watch this movie, unable to finish it, it is that bad

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
When it comes to that particular film tastes vary.
It's similar to Tarantino's films ...
Me I like them all those over the cliff humor films.

We are very discerning people about what we like and hate.
We have our own ways to say it with simplicity.
I like that, straightforward characters.

That interview in your first post, it has real character, I like it.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Keep trying to watch this movie, unable to finish it, it is that bad

Stop wasting your life. I'd rather answer a scam phone call than watch any of that. Puking is better, it's over in a moment.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Stop wasting your life. I'd rather answer a scam phone call than watch any of that. Puking is better, it's over in a moment.
Lol

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Has a first film ever been more perfect than Blood Simple?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
• No Country for Old Men
• Fargo
• True Grit

As slightly superior following films from the Coens ... IMO
...To Blood Simple.

There is not one bad film from their filmography, not one bloody simple single one. IMHO

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A serious man was fantastic

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing