Cold War (Zimna Wojna) - 2018

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://www.curzonartificialeye.com/cold-war/

A black & white foreign film (six languages @ once in the same film: Polish | French | German | Russian | Italian | Croatian), beautifully photographed and acted. It's a dramatic love story between a music composer and a singer.

It starts like a music documentary in the countryside during winter. Right from the first images you can tell this is something special, not your average filmmaking from this continent. You embark on the journey no question asked, I.

The care given to this film is the care given to your soul. It hits all the right chords, the right strings, the piano notes in all the right places...in the heart of love.

The immense beauty is in the b&w cinematography, the 4:3 screen aspect ratio (where you see more with less, and with depth), the voices, the music, the story, the acting, the locales, ...everything including the black fading edits.

It's the genre of film that keeps playing even after the very end of all the rolling credits.
Overall: 96 (no, make that 97).

Last word: You need to watch it twice; once without the subtitles, and another with them. The order you choose is your own decision. The reason is because if you read the subtitles you're going to miss some magnificent elements of the cinematography, just trust me. Plus, you'll appreciate the music that much more.

It is the second best film I saw in the last twelve months after Roma.
Is it slow like 'Roma'? It just doesn't matter, it's the journey that counts...and life is a journey...no matter how long or how short and how fast or how slow.

The film is one minute short of an hour and half. You go through it like time is not important, not when you're in love. Highest recommendation.
_____

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
? https://www.curzonartificialeye.com/cold-war/

A black & white foreign film (six languages @ once in the same film: Polish | French | German | Russian | Italian | Croatian), beautifully photographed and acted. It's a dramatic love story between a music composer and a singer.

It starts like a music documentary in the countryside during winter. Right from the first images you can tell this is something special, not your average filmmaking from this continent. You embark on the journey no question asked, I.

The care given to this film is the care given to your soul. It hits all the right chords, the right strings, the piano notes in all the right places...in the heart of love.

The immense beauty is in the b&w cinematography, the 4:3 screen aspect ratio (where you see more with less, and with depth), the voices, the music, the story, the acting, the locales, ...everything including the black fading edits.

It's the genre of film that keeps playing even after the very end of all the rolling credits.
Overall: 96 (no, make that 97).

Last word: You need to watch it twice; once without the subtitles, and another with them. The order you choose is your own decision. The reason is because if you read the subtitles you're going to miss some magnificent elements of the cinematography, just trust me. Plus, you'll appreciate the music that much more.

It is the second best film I saw in the last twelve months after Roma.
Is it slow like 'Roma'? It just doesn't matter, it's the journey that counts...and life is a journey...no matter how long or how short and how fast or how slow.

The film is one minute short of an hour and half. You go through it like time is not important, not when you're in love. Highest recommendation.
_____

we saw the trailer for Cold War at the movies and it looked excellent.

BTW like Roma, it too is nominated for Best Foreign Film

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If 'Roma' wasn't there (Foreign Language Fim), 'Cold War' would get the Oscar. IMO
'Cold War' is also nominated for Best Director and Best Cinematography (Oscars).

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
What I like the best in Pawel Pawlikowski’s film is music and cinematography as many others do.
But what is more important the movie delivers a realistic picture of situation under communist regime .
I went to the primary school in 1966 under Gomulka as a First Secretary of communist party and it was really another world compared to what you might know. In 71 Gierek brought to Poland some hope and opened a bit the country , unfortunately the growth of consumption and investments was based on credits taken from Western countries whilst zloty was not convertible.
So eventually it ended up with tickets for food in 81 and the creation of Solidarity.
Our boys were born in 82 and 86 respectively and my first salary after university in 83 in a big state owned porcelain factory was something like 30 USD but fortunately PPP was many times higher .
I started my business in late 88, just before transition. My sons graduated at UK universities - Cambrigde and Warwick and I have a holiday house in France, close to Cannes. Life may be interesting:)
This year we are 60 with my wife , we have met in 74 in high school in a small city where we are born.
So for me Cold War (Zimna Wojna) is a very personal experience.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Tomorrow night is Oscars night. Roma is the favorite for Best Foreign Film and Best Cinematography.
If Cold War wins either one or both categories I won't be upset for one second.
Both films excell in both categories. They are among the top best artistic films I saw in 2018-19.
The cinematography in both is superb, a feast for the eyes, a deep soothing cinematic experience.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I totally agree about cinematography sound and film editing. If there is an upset tonight I am hoping that Green Book prevails. The big question is whether Roma wins Best Picture and Best Foreign film. I don’t think it will. If not do not discount Green Book as the sleeper of the year. My sentimental favorite remains Bohemian Rhapsody

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In my other thread (Oscars 2019, Predictions & All), there's a link on that subject...Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody. I was aware way before that link, but I posted it anyway for people who don't know.
I am certain that some Academy voters are influenced by what's going behind the curtains and it would sway their votes in one direction or another. Almost 8,000 voters is a fair chunk of people; that's 8,000 various visions more or less similar or totally opposite.
And that's why I was asking who has the best and correct and right vision.
And does it make a different vision wrong. Films are like music, some are well recorded others are more enjoyable. And between analog and digital films both are fun and agreeable in their own unique and romantic ways.

Roma won other awards for both Best Picture and Best Foreign Film; could they repeat that tomorrow night? I have zero way of knowing in advance, but 100% certain that it could.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing