Combining Balanced or Isolated With a Regenerator?

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
As a point of reference, my system, all heavily modified:
101 db Horning Agalme Statement
Horning Sati 520b integrated
Horning Sati RIAA
Kodo the Beat
Kuzma 4Point 14"
Lyra Etna sl
All heavily modified, caps, transistors , All silver/cotton Dialectric internal speakers and components as well as speaker cable and IC's .
I've tried some "power conditioners" with negative (choked) results. At which point trying "regeneration" .... It definitely was a major improvement, I was immediatly sold,... My system incl TT uses approx 750w total, given the lower power I found is very susceptible to anomalies in power.
So I've been looking/researching the possibility of improving my power (about the last thing on my list) . My thinking was feed the regenerator either Balanced or Isolated power, I'm kinda struggling with the difference between the two and which if any would be more advantageous.
Also last "renovation" power from the pole is all new incl panel with dedicated 20 amp lines...
In all reality I'm quite happy with my system as it currently is but in typical OCD fashion the possibility of getting better will play on me till I've exhausted all options...

Crom

Feb 11, 2016
Hi Ron, I came across this post as I currently have a Purepower+ 2000 and I am looking into the possibility of feeding it balanced power. did you get anywhere with your investigating?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can only speak totally positively about balanced power, running an 85kg 8kVA Westwick 8K transformer.

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
Hi Ron, I came across this post as I currently have a Purepower+ 2000 and I am looking into the possibility of feeding it balanced power. did you get anywhere with your investigating?
I did have a Pure Power 1050, it was great but I sold it and have since acquired a PS Audio p15. So far there have been conflicting opinions on whether or not to use Balanced or Isolated power,. . Now that being said my system according to the meter on the P15 only uses 275w. This suprized me as I'd Thought it was more. I've always believed in having "headroom" so to speak hence the move.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I like the way Torus units operate.

I’m very suspicious of regenerators because their powercord has a massive effect on the sound.

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
I've had a few passive conditioners as well as couple of pure powers and currently p15,,,, What I've found were passive units cleaned up but flattened out the music. But this was only on bigger power systems.. They definitely were better with the amps (4-300w monos) while plugged directly into the wall...
I do believe at least from my experiences that high efficiency (I run100db+/SET) do benefit more from regeneration than big power. Kinda stands to reason as big power typically have stout transformers by comparison...
Seems to me at least that if I resolved the isolation or balanced transformer question it'd most certainly have to be bigger kva as spiritofmusic mentioned.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
BTW, what are opinions of the high-efficiency fans on the Horning Agalme Statement? I listened to it long ago and it sounded terrific on voices.
a1.jpg

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
BTW, what are opinions of the high-efficiency fans on the Horning Agalme Statement? I listened to it long ago and it sounded terrific on voices.
View attachment 60734
I can't address this model specifically but can't speak highly enough about my Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III. I'm amazed with every listen. Even more so with a change from custom made 300B monoblocks to a new pair of New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition monoblocks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please anyone let me know where I can listen to these. Have tried hard to find someone who owns them

View attachment 60734

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Please anyone let me know where I can listen to these. Have tried hard to find someone who owns them
You might try contacting Jeffrey Catalano at High Water Sound in NYC. He's the US distributor for Horning and should know where some are.

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Just saw this old pair upside-down today. They are in storage and for sale, but the owner is not wanting to put them in service or demoing them. They are different from the current ones, these ones have two extremely heavy woofers in a transmission line.

It is the pair I have listened many years ago and impressed me a lot.

160 kg, 211 x 103 x ... (h x d x w) , I forgot to take note of the width.

b1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing