Compare is a Verb; Comparison is a Noun

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We often hear and read about people describing the act or process of listening to or evaluating two components as a "compare." I believe this is grammatically incorrect.

"Compare" is a verb. The act or process of listening to or evaluating two components is a comparison. "Comparison" is a noun.

Reactions: tima

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I agree completely, Ron- it's irritating too see the language butchered so.
I will allow "comparo" as it is short for comparison and upholds the strong Australian tradition of shortening and adding "-o".
While I am here, may I make a plea for correctness in phraseology with regards to how much I care or do not?
"I could not care less" means "I care so little! This is vastly unimportant to me"
"I could care less", which is often used, means "I DO care about this- there are other things about which I care less", which, contextually, seems not to be what the poster wishes to convey.
Have a great day!! I am jelly of your analogue- I'm moving from my May Holo May KTE, but I know not where.....

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
We often hear and read about people describing the act or process of listening to or evaluating two components as a "compare." I believe this is grammatically incorrect.

"Compare" is a verb. The act or process of listening to or evaluating two components is a comparison. "Comparison" is a noun.

Yes, compare can be a verb used with or without an object. Compare can also be a noun.
Eg. The fidelity of that component to realistic sound is beyond compare.

A comparison is often understood as noting similarities between components.
Evaluating components should include deliniating differences, or contrasting them.
At least I tend to use those words in that way.
Compare and contrast the original Wilson Alexia with the Alexia series 2.

Granted, one might argue that drawing a contrast between two things is a type of comparison. Many reviews tend to mash up the two words or not speak explicity about contrast.

Reactions: rando

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If we want to be even more anal retentive, it is either grammatical or it's not. Thus the phrase is "not grammatical. " God bless my high school English teacher. RIP.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron, in a different thread about resolution and musicality, I wrote the following this morning: “One knows it when he hears it, especially when doing direct comparisons or experimenting with set up.”

that sentence likely could be written more clearly or more correctly, but I had to chuckle when I saw the title of this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
While I am here, may I make a plea for correctness in phraseology with regards to how much I care or do not?
"I could not care less" means "I care so little! This is vastly unimportant to me"
"I could care less", which is often used, means "I DO care about this- there are other things about which I care less", which, contextually, seems not to be what the poster wishes to convey.
+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing