compatible amplifier and speaker

Raymond0517

May 16, 2022
Hi,

I have an amplifier, it said in the manual the output resistance to the speaker should be between 4 to 16 ohms

I have my speaker with the following specifications :

Active HiFi Stereo System
3 way speaker system
3000 W P.M.P.O

Freq response 70Hz - 20 KHz
Voltage 220V 50Hz
Output Power 3000 W PMPO

Caution Input Not more than 500 MV.

===========

I don't know if this speaker can work with the amplifier.

Anyway, I connected the speaker to the amplifier.

There is sound output to the speaker.

However, after 5 minutes of playing, the amplifier's top is quite hot,
and there is a slight smell of burning coming out of the amplifier.

Can I ignore the heat at the amplifier top? will it catch fire after a long duration of playing?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hi,

I have an amplifier, it said in the manual the output resistance to the speaker should be between 4 to 16 ohms

3 way speaker system
3000 W P.M.P.O

Voltage 220V 50Hz
Output Power 3000 W PMPO

Can you give more info, i.e. speaker manufacturer, model, etc.
From the speakers' specs you gave, it looks like your speakers incorporate an amplifier ("active stereo system". In other words you need an preamp, not a power amp. Regards

Raymond0517

May 16, 2022
Thanks for the reply,
The amplifier is SAST brand model WY019.
The manual said this model is a Public Address System, no mention that this is an amplifier.

In the technical specifications, (translated to English)
this amplifier has an output power of 120W
output method can be either constant resistant from 4 to 16 Ohms
or constant voltage of 110 Volts.

Auxiliary output : 600 Ohms 1V(0dBV)

I connect from amplifier outputs (labeled 4 to 12 Ohms) and (labeled COM) to the speaker's inputs.

There is sound coming out of the speaker, however, the top panel of the amplifier seems to get overheated fairly quickly in less than 10 minutes of use.

If the speaker is too high the power for the amplifier, what is the correct speaker to connect to this amplifier ?

Thanks
speaker specification.jpeg amplifier back panel 2.jpeg

Raymond0517

May 16, 2022
just 1 more photo to attach, the front panel of the speaker, it comes with 4 control buttons, Power ON/OFF for the speaker,
volume control knob, Bass control knob, and treble control knob.

Does it look like a speaker that comes with a built-in amplifier?

If this is the case, can I connect directly from PC audio output to the speaker's input without the need to buy another pre-amplifier?

Thanks.
Speaker front panel with 4 control knobs.jpeg

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hi,

3 way speaker system
3000 W P.M.P.O

Voltage 220V 50Hz
Output Power 3000 W PMPO

===========

I don't know if this speaker can work with the amplifier.

Anyway, I connected the speaker to the amplifier.

There is sound output to the speaker.

However, after 5 minutes of playing, the amplifier's top is quite hot,
and there is a slight smell of burning coming out of the amplifier.

Can I ignore the heat at the amplifier top? will it catch fire after a long duration of playing?

Your advice is much appreciated.
You cannot (and should not) use these two together. First, the speakers have their own amplifiers built-in and the caution (Input not more than 500mV0 means that using the external amplifier will greatly exceed this limit. No wonder there is heating and burning smell. I hope you have not dest
If the speaker is too high the power for the amplifier, what is the correct speaker to connect to this amplifier ?
No amplifier should be connected to these speakers. Only a signal input. What is your music source?
royed the speaker or the amp.
If this is the case, can I connect directly from PC audio output to the speaker's input without the need to buy another pre-amplifier?
Yes unless there is already damage to the speaker.

Reactions: Raymond0517

Raymond0517

May 16, 2022
You cannot (and should not) use these two together. First, the speakers have their own amplifiers built-in and the caution (Input not more than 500mV0 means that using the external amplifier will greatly exceed this limit. No wonder there is heating and burning smell. I hope you have not dest

No amplifier should be connected to these speakers. Only a signal input. What is your music source?
royed the speaker or the amp.

Yes unless there is already damage to the speaker.
Thank you very much for the timely advice, I am attaching the image of the inputs to the speaker, just wonder, what specific cable I need to purchase that can connect from my laptop headset output port to 5 inputs as shown in the image. Basically, I just want to project whatever from the headset output of the laptop to this speaker. Thanks.

Attachments

• speaker inputs.jpeg
    speaker inputs.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 6

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thank you very much for the timely advice, I am attaching the image of the inputs to the speaker, just wonder, what specific cable I need to purchase that can connect from my laptop headset output port to 5 inputs as shown in the image. Basically, I just want to project whatever from the headset output of the laptop to this speaker. Thanks.
I am not sure I can see it well enough to say. Is there no manual or spec sheet?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
(...) I am attaching the image of the inputs to the speaker, just wonder, what specific cable I need to purchase that can connect from my laptop headset output port to 5 inputs as shown in the image. Basically, I just want to project whatever from the headset output of the laptop to this speaker. Thanks.
You need a cable ("interconnect") that has a stereo jack on one end and two RCAs on the other end. Plug the jack to the phones output and the RCA side to the bottom speaker inputs (as per the photo), where it says "input".
Connect the red RCS to the red input, of course.
Make sure you lower the volume all the way down before you start playing music.
Good luck!

Reactions: Raymond0517

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing