Connecting sonicTransporter and Rendu

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't think you can go sw > STransport > optRndu > dac. i5 has only one ethernet in/out.
I thought so. Looks like switch to i5 and opticalRendu seperately. Just getting my head around all this before I choose to commit. Stuff like one-box Linn Selekt DSM is sooo much simpler in comparison.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well I guess if you are going to such lengths to optimize USB output then you would at lest want a DAC which is optimized for playing through their USB input.
Sure Sujay. Just need to research which dacs are fully best on USB.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Sujay, so one can in sequence go: router > CAT6 to listening room > dedicated switch > sonicTransporter i5 > opticalRendu > dac.

Or, same to switch, and then > both i5 and Rendu seperately.
Apologies, I read the first option as i7. With i5 you will need a switch. With i7 you can use the second port to connect the player

christoph

Dec 12, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I can clear this all up for you guys.

The setup shown in post #4 above is our most popular system. It sounds much better then connecting a DAC to a computer and sounds better then all the single box solutions out there. This is the setup most of my customers use because of it's simplicity, low cost, and amazing sound.

If you want a more complex solution that sounds even better you can go with optical networking. This will improve your sound over a wired Ethernet solution.

As you can see everything is attached to a central switch. I recommend the switch from my post #2 above. We have tried a lot of different switches and this one sounds the best especially if powered by a linear supply.

The last network "leg" that goes to the player goes over optical. This keeps noise out of the player and your DAC.

This is the best possible setup for audio streaming we have tested so far.

systemoptique_server_player_1024px.png

The old version of the sonicTransporter i7 had two Ethernet ports. We did this mostly for convenience. Is some cases it also improved the sound particularly if the custom has a long Ethernet run back to the router. In this case using a small local switch improved the sound just as much. Now that we have the optical solution we have only one Ethernet post on the sonicTransporter i7 and recommend connecting it as shown in post #27 above.

We do still sell the second Ethernet port as an add on for people who like the convenience.

By the way, T+A is superb, I am told
Just a quick note on T+A DACs. The old version could only do DSD256 with our Rendu players because T+A used a proprietary Windows driver to apply some of the filters required for DSD512. All the new T+A DACs can do DSD512 with any player that supports "Direct DSD" such as our Rendu players.

This is a BIG upgrade in technology for T+A. And I agree I have heard great things about T+A DACs. Of course a lot of my customs use Lampizator as well. Lampizator DACs also sound amazing with our ultraRendu.

Well I guess if you are going to such lengths to optimize USB output then you would at lest want a DAC which is optimized for playing through their USB input.
Most DACs that I have heard that are "optimized" for USB playback are a disappointment. The USB interfaces are mostly cheap simple ones that don't perform that well.

You can actually get better results by adding a renderer like the Interchange or a USB converter like the Off-Ramp 6 with good clocks and 10psec of jitter to a DAC without reclocking on the S/PDIF input, like the Metrum Pavane.

With the Interchange, you don't need the USB conversion. It' just Ethernet to DAC, so you save the cost of the good USB cable. You only need to optimize the switch and one Ethernet cable. It's a cheaper simpler solution to get to great SQ.

Steve N.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
:D
Marc is a "ittle" adverse against Lampi ;)
:rolleyes:
Christoph, not averse to Lampi specifically (have heard a Big 7 sound great and a GG sound less great), but the company does very well, I'd rather spread the love (and so my cash) to more of an underdog.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can clear this all up for you guys.

The setup shown in post #4 above is our most popular system. It sounds much better then connecting a DAC to a computer and sounds better then all the single box solutions out there. This is the setup most of my customers use because of it's simplicity, low cost, and amazing sound.

If you want a more complex solution that sounds even better you can go with optical networking. This will improve your sound over a wired Ethernet solution.

As you can see everything is attached to a central switch. I recommend the switch from my post #2 above. We have tried a lot of different switches and this one sounds the best especially if powered by a linear supply.

The last network "leg" that goes to the player goes over optical. This keeps noise out of the player and your DAC.

This is the best possible setup for audio streaming we have tested so far.

View attachment 53457
Andrew, you're unambiguously recommending the inexpensive switch mentioned in the previous post, plus the opticalRendu w the opticalModule, over a more expensive audiophile switch?

I have seen in the chat online re Uptone EtherRegen that there is no built-in SFP, and Uptone are not recommending their new switch for fibre optic connection.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Following along, from my pov it seems to make more sense that the conversions from rj45 to optic (and back) is better served without corrupting the endpoint. One of the selling points made earlier (with the diagram) by agillis was the extensive isolation from each process. The opticrendu seems to compromise is this regard. I think that Uptone is taking the position that the new sw they are working on will override the benefit that optic cable provides and that remains to be seen.

Andrew, you're unambiguously recommending the inexpensive switch mentioned in the previous post, plus the opticalRendu w the opticalModule, over a more expensive audiophile switch?

I have seen in the chat online re Uptone EtherRegen that there is no built-in SFP, and Uptone are not recommending their new switch for fibre optic connection.
I have not seen or heard the Uptone switch so I can't comment in it.

I have tested that switch I recommend set up the way it's show in my diagram with the opticalModule and opticalRendu. This setup works very well at eliminating network noise.

That switch although it's inexpensive works very well for audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing