Conrad Johnson ET7 series 2

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading my PS Audio BHK Signature preamp as I feel this may be my weak link in my system. I'm interested in Conrad Johnsons new ET 7 series 2 preamp and was hoping to hear from those who own one and their thoughts, also, what it replaced. What's most important to me are all the usual suspects such as clarity, transparency and speed, slam with good bass extension and a gorgeous midrange and soundstage, but what I enjoy most is accurate timbre and tonal color. I find that, in general, tubes do a great job with tonality. I've have a Pass Labs XA30.8 amplifier for about 5 years now and I enjoy it. I find it punches way above the 30 wpc rating and is always very musical. My budget is around the $10,000.00 price point. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and stay safe.

Scot

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What you have chosen fits perfectly to what you want to hear from you preamp.

Just remember the teflon caps take ages to break in.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi XV-1 & LL21

Reading the equipment lists for both of your systems tells me I have a long way to go, both of your systems are amazing. Thank you both for your opinions. XV-1, I had an LP12 with a Naim Aro tonearm ironically with a Dynavector XV1S cartridge many years ago and am still kicking myself in the (you know where) for ever selling that rig. I remember having to get the extra heavy counterweight for the Aro due to the weight of that cartridge. Loved that setup. The midrange and the musicality on that setup was so enjoyable.

I also had a TW Acustic Raven ac3 with a Graham Phantom back in the day with a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge. That was also a great front end.

My CJ dealer doesn't have a ET 7 S2 on display but he offered to bring over his ET 3 SE just so I can get a taste of the CJ "house sound".

LL21, I saw that used GAT on Audiogon and was tempted but I'm a big fan of supporting a local dealer (whom I've known and have been buying from for over 40 years and has become a good friend) and I'm also a huge believer in a full manufacturer's warranty. If there's any problem, I want to know for sure it will be covered. I also find his advice invaluable.

XV-1, any interest in upgrading to the newer Lyra Lambda cartridges?

Have either of you guys actually heard the newer ET 7 S?

Thank you for your help. Take care

Scot

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi XV-1 & LL21

Reading the equipment lists for both of your systems tells me I have a long way to go, both of your systems are amazing. Thank you both for your opinions...

...My CJ dealer doesn't have a ET 7 S2 on display but he offered to bring over his ET 3 SE just so I can get a taste of the CJ "house sound"....

...LL21, I saw that used GAT on Audiogon and was tempted but I'm a big fan of supporting a local dealer (whom I've known and have been buying from for over 40 years and has become a good friend) and I'm also a huge believer in a full manufacturer's warranty. If there's any problem, I want to know for sure it will be covered. I also find his advice invaluable...

...Have either of you guys actually heard the newer ET 7 S?

Scot

Hi Scot,

I have not heard the ET 7S2. I have owned the PV14L, Act 2, GAT 1 and now GAT 2. All great at their price points for me. Do let us know what you think if you heard the ET3. CJ is a very, very consistent house within a given generation so one should simply be more and better of a similar presentation...particularly around detail, noise floor, extension.

As for your loyalties, totally respect and admire that. What I have done to remain loyal to my local dealer is that if I buy 2nd hand...i actually pay him a fair commission just for taking receipt, installing...and making sure if it breaks that he looks after packing/shipping and dealing with the manufacturer for me...and giving me a loaner piece while the unit is in repair. Over the years, I did have that happen on a 14-year old amp I bought which needed quite a lot of work. And I just agreed to buy something directly from him recently so I also still buy things from him directly as well. Food for thought (perhaps).

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi XV-1 & LL21

Reading the equipment lists for both of your systems tells me I have a long way to go, both of your systems are amazing. Thank you both for your opinions. XV-1, I had an LP12 with a Naim Aro tonearm ironically with a Dynavector XV1S cartridge many years ago and am still kicking myself in the (you know where) for ever selling that rig. I remember having to get the extra heavy counterweight for the Aro due to the weight of that cartridge. Loved that setup. The midrange and the musicality on that setup was so enjoyable.

I also had a TW Acustic Raven ac3 with a Graham Phantom back in the day with a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge. That was also a great front end.

My CJ dealer doesn't have a ET 7 S2 on display but he offered to bring over his ET 3 SE just so I can get a taste of the CJ "house sound".

LL21, I saw that used GAT on Audiogon and was tempted but I'm a big fan of supporting a local dealer (whom I've known and have been buying from for over 40 years and has become a good friend) and I'm also a huge believer in a full manufacturer's warranty. If there's any problem, I want to know for sure it will be covered. I also find his advice invaluable.

XV-1, any interest in upgrading to the newer Lyra Lambda cartridges?

Have either of you guys actually heard the newer ET 7 S?

Scot

Hi Scott

I have not heard the ET-7 S2 personally but I believe it's a big step above the S1 - Seems like you have a good relationship with your dealer, pity he does not have one on demo. I guess the ET3 will give you a taste, but it may not be enough :)

I have upgraded my Atlas SL to Lambda spec. Currently has 75 hours play on it.

BTW, what turntable do you have now? My wife won't let me sell the Linn as it was my first " real table way back" My SP10mk3 with Thales arm gets most play time - the Thales arm is unbelievably good.

cheers
Shane

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Shane

Why am I not surprised you bought the new Lyra Lambda, that’s exactly what I would have done, congrats.

Are you enjoying the Lambda cartridge and have you noticed a significant improvement compared to the previous model or is it too soon?

I need hip replacement and I have a other complications that have delayed the surgery so I do not have an analog front end at this time. Getting up every 25 minutes to change the album doesn’t sound very appealing at this time. You better believe, the first thing I buy after the rehab is a nice table. I have my eye on the new AMG V12 Forte. One of my local dealers has it on display. Every time I go into his store I drool. I’m pretty sure that is what I’ll get. He also has the Tech Das tables and they just came out with a new upgraded model 3 that is around the same price. That’s also a contender. I really miss analog. To my ears, it’s still
the best sound quality.
I wish my CJ dealer had the ET7 S2 on display but no such luck. It seems like it’s getting harder and harder to walk into a store and audition a piece of gear. It seems like there are fewer brick and mortar stores. There’s a few guys in my area (Chicago I’ll.) that try to sell out of their private residences but I just don’t feel as comfortable buying from someone’s home.

It’s funny, the LP 12 and the Naim Aro tonearm was my first high end table as
well. I loved that setup.

Take care
Scot

Reactions: No Regrets

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Scot,

I have not heard the ET 7S2. I have owned the PV14L, Act 2, GAT 1 and now GAT 2. All great at their price points for me. Do let us know what you think if you heard the ET3. CJ is a very, very consistent house within a given generation so one should simply be more and better of a similar presentation...particularly around detail, noise floor, extension.

As for your loyalties, totally respect and admire that. What I have done to remain loyal to my local dealer is that if I buy 2nd hand...i actually pay him a fair commission just for taking receipt, installing...and making sure if it breaks that he looks after packing/shipping and dealing with the manufacturer for me...and giving me a loaner piece while the unit is in repair. Over the years, I did have that happen on a 14-year old amp I bought which needed quite a lot of work. And I just agreed to buy something directly from him recently so I also still buy things from him directly as well. Food for thought (perhaps).

scot

Jan 4, 2018
Hi LL21

I also admire the arrangement you’ve worked out with your local dealer. Very generous and smart of you. We all need to realize how important it is to support your local brick and mortar retail store. In my area, there are fewer of them. If we all just buy off the internet, then these specialty retail stores will eventually vanish. I have a dealer in my area that’s been doing this for over 40 years. I value the ability to walk in to the store and listen to a piece of gear that I’m interested in. I know it will be setup properly. I rely on his knowledge, I find it invaluable. I appreciate him letting me take a piece home so I can hear it in my system. To me, that is really the only way to audition a piece of gear. Take care.

Scot

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Why don't you ask your dealer to buy the unit so you can audition? If he's the "real deal", that shouldn't be an issue. I have the ET5 and love it. Yes, the cap break in time is ridiculous (think 400 hours minimum) and tube swapping is well worthwhile. Easy to do with one 6922. I found it interesting that the ET7 weighs about 25% less than the ET5.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing