Considering Upgraading from VPI Classic 2

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Hi I own a Classic 2 with the p+original metal arm and I have a Dyna 20X2L on it. I recently upgraded my phonostage to the Art Audio Vinyl Reference (made by K and K). I never realized what I was missing! Now I am thinking what if I upgrade my TT? I dont want to go crazy say I sell my TT and throw in another 2K. Will that get me any upgrade in SQ? Am I at that point where I need to spend ridiculous money to get audible improvement? Thanks.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Classic is a nice TT as is the phono, your cart is nice but think you'd see a bigger up tick changing that

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
wow thats fairly new ha ha

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
wow thats fairly new ha ha

Looks a nice balanced system, you could just enjoy but your $850 cart isn't going to compete with a well chosen $2k cart which should mate beautifully with the front end you already have.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
suggestions on cartridge?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
suggestions on cartridge?

You'd need to do some research to see what flavour might suit your needs. Ortofon Cadenza, Soundsmith, further up the Dyn range, Benz or Zyx all offer something. It's of course a minefield matching arm/phono/cart but well worth exploring, there'll be plenty of discussion across the web as regards what might work well in your combo and a good dealer can help if you're unsure.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Im thinking a upgrade of my tonearm would yield me bigger improvement

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing