Considering upgrading my preamp soon...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I'm currently running a Parasound Halo P5 preamp. It has served me quite well over the past 3+ years since purchased new. It has done everything I've asked it to do and I have had no issues with it. With that being said, I think I could better these days with a new preamp.

I'm looking at preamps at a max of about $1800. It needs to have at least one balanced input and one balanced output as well as a pair of SE outputs. A built-in DAC isn't exactly crucial but may prove beneficial as I use the one in the P5 for my Roku. It doesn't even need a built-in phono preamp as I can get a Schitt Mani pre fairly cheap. Heck, even a Modi for that matter for the Roku. Though it would be a lot cleaner in the rack without having a bunch of extra components.

What I have been looking at so far is the new Parasound Halo P6. It's supposed to be a decent upgrade from the P5, not to mention it uses that 128 stepped resistor volume control. Another strong contender is the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC with its gain cell volume control. Right now, I'm actually leaning more towards the PS Audio.

And of course, if you guys/gals have any other recommendations, please share them with me. Many thanks in advance!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Have you considered a tube pre-amplifier. Many top end systems using SS power amplifiers and DACs look at a good tube re-amplifier to brings things back to a more organic presentation. A great tube pre-amp can have it all IMO, transparency and speed yet super smooth and zero fatigue.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I agree with the above comment re: pairing tubes with ss, especially given the sound signature of your NuPrime amps. If you're willing to consider pre-loved gear, I found a Modwright LS100 tube preamp on US Audio Mart asking $2.4k in excellent 9/10 condition with the optional tube phono stage & very low hours on the tubes - https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...be-preamp-with-optional-phono-board-in-black/ The LS100 has a moderate output impedance of 300 ohms which should be fine with the STA-9's input impedance (47k Ohms), and not cause an impedance mismatch. That would be my pick around that price point.

Reactions: GMKF

Bilyeauxbrew

Dec 29, 2018
Chops, Interesting your two options are the same I am considering. I am re-entering music obsession after a 20 year break. I inherited the Hereseys from my brother, had my own originally my senior year high school. So not very experienced with audiophile, just want a nice system to carry me from 60 on....what is your opinion on these? I have discounted tubes as do not want the maintenance or tech know how.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Sorry I have been on here. Got caught up with work and a discussion on another forum about this same subject.

Yes, I've considered tube preamps. In fact, I've considered quite a few different options over this past week, and last night ordered the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC from Underwood Hifi at a price I simply couldn't pass up on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing