Contact Cleaning.... How often?

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
I have just cleaned all of my connections from tube pins, interconnect, and ac power cords and cartridge leads. It does make a difference. How often do you do it?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I use Deoxit about every 12 to 16 months on speaker connections.

Rocoa

Oct 17, 2018
Spain
Every 6 months at least.
Kontak at first and termination with Deoxit pro gold.
The SQ improves, no doubt.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Here is my method which is a pain but I do it only once:

1) Clean the contacts with isoprophanol
2) Polish, whenever possible, with a jewellery polishing paste (grren or white)
3) Clean again with iso to remove the paste leftovers, dry
4) Apply sparsely a dielectric grease (I use silicone-based Dow Corning compound for mil/airplane applications)
5) Connect firmly and try not to disconnect if possible; when disconnecting reapply a bit of the grease before re-connecting

Cheers,

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Every 6 months.

First DeOxit D5, then DeOxit G5.

At least, that's what I'm striving for ;)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Every 6 months.

First DeOxit D5, then DeOxit G5.

At least, that's what I'm striving for ;)

I do this, but switched to G100 because G5 gets the stuff everywhere, but G100 is too much imo, so you need to apply it then remove as much as possible with a dry cloth or q-tip.

I think it's enough to apply G5 with a tiny brush, in which case one can is a lifetime supply...

I also use Furutech nano-fluid on terminations inside plugs and on any exposed wire to prevent corrosion, including on cables I build for ZenWave.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing