Contenders for Best Tube Integrated Amp? Only the best elements of tube sound!

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I'll second the thought for something 6C33C based. But even once the wattage gets up there, the damping factor just doesn't and I'm skeptical that these SET amps are going to be satisfying in the lower registers on speakers that require the power.
Which amps with 48W + power have you had experience with that displayed this lack of damping factor?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Do you know of any higher power SET amps that can even approach a damping factor of 20? 15? I'm just not aware of any.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do you know of any higher power SET amps that can even approach a damping factor of 20? 15? I'm just not aware of any.
Diana Forte has 60 watts and a damping factor of around 10, which works just fine for speakers like the Thiel CS3.7.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I've heard that amp with Vandersteen, and the combo had redeeming qualities that could appeal to many preferences. Bass was a bit one note and could have been tighter per my preferences, though. I'd prefer a bi-amped arrangement.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I've heard that amp with Vandersteen, and the combo had redeeming qualities that could appeal to many preferences. Bass was a bit one note and could have been tighter per my preferences, though. I'd prefer a bi-amped arrangement.
Which Vandersteen model?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Which Vandersteen model?
Arn't most of the Vandersteen's using active base modules? In that case the bass would not be powered by the main amp being used.

Also they seem to have very low efficiency, 87 db or less. Not the best choice for tube amps?

Model Seven Mk II Specifications
Tweeter
1” Patented Perfect Piston™ Tweeter with 3-Layer Carbon Fiber/Balsa/Carbon Fiber Dome, Aerodynamic Neo-Magnet Assembly
Midrange
4.5” Patented Perfect Piston™ Midrange with 3-Layer Carbon Fiber/Balsa/Carbon Fiber Cone, Die-Cast Aerodynamic Basket with Neo-Magnet Assembly and Ferrofluid Voice-Coil Cooling
Mid-woofer
7” Patented Perfect Piston™ Mid-Woofer with 3-Layer Carbon Fiber/Balsa/Carbon Fiber Cone, Die-Cast Aerodynamic Basket with Neo-Magnet Assembly and Ferrofluid Voice-Coil Cooling

Subwoofer
Dual 12" Trussed-Aluminum Cones, Dual-Motor, Push-Pull Driver with Die-Cast Aerodynamic Basket with Precision-Machined Opposing Magnet Assemblies with Copper Faraday Rings
Rear-fiiring Tweeter
.75" Ceramic-Coated Alloy Dome
Subwoofer Amplifier

400-Watt High-Current Power-Factor Corrected Amplifier
Recommended Amplification
40-300 Watts Into 8 Ohms
Frequency Response
22Hz-40kHz +/- 2dB
Sensitivity
83.5 dB, 1 meter/2.83 volt input
Impedance
+3 Ohms Nominal, - 1.5 Ohms
Crossovers
100Hz, 600Hz, 5000Hz, 6dB/Octave
Input Terminals
Barrier strips, 1/2" max width
Dimensions (WHD)
14" x 42.5" x 20"
Weight
170 lbs. Net
Country of Manufacture
Made in the USA

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Arn't most of the Vandersteen's using active base modules? In that case the bass would not be powered by the main amp being used.

Also they seem to have very low efficiency, 87 db or less. Not the best choice for tube amps?

Model Seven Mk II Specifications
Tweeter
1” Patented Perfect Piston™ Tweeter with 3-Layer Carbon Fiber/Balsa/Carbon Fiber Dome, Aerodynamic Neo-Magnet Assembly
Midrange
4.5” Patented Perfect Piston™ Midrange with 3-Layer Carbon Fiber/Balsa/Carbon Fiber Cone, Die-Cast Aerodynamic Basket with Neo-Magnet Assembly and Ferrofluid Voice-Coil Cooling
Mid-woofer
7” Patented Perfect Piston™ Mid-Woofer with 3-Layer Carbon Fiber/Balsa/Carbon Fiber Cone, Die-Cast Aerodynamic Basket with Neo-Magnet Assembly and Ferrofluid Voice-Coil Cooling

Subwoofer
Dual 12" Trussed-Aluminum Cones, Dual-Motor, Push-Pull Driver with Die-Cast Aerodynamic Basket with Precision-Machined Opposing Magnet Assemblies with Copper Faraday Rings
Rear-fiiring Tweeter
.75" Ceramic-Coated Alloy Dome
Subwoofer Amplifier

400-Watt High-Current Power-Factor Corrected Amplifier
Recommended Amplification
40-300 Watts Into 8 Ohms
Frequency Response
22Hz-40kHz +/- 2dB
Sensitivity
83.5 dB, 1 meter/2.83 volt input
Impedance
+3 Ohms Nominal, - 1.5 Ohms
Crossovers
100Hz, 600Hz, 5000Hz, 6dB/Octave
Input Terminals
Barrier strips, 1/2" max width
Dimensions (WHD)
14" x 42.5" x 20"
Weight
170 lbs. Net
Country of Manufacture
Made in the USA
Exactly the reason for my question...the 5 carbon model is also active bass

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Only time the Aries Cerat has been used with Vandersteens state side is the Diana and Model 5A Carbons which have the active bass tuned by Richard for that room at LAAS. No bearing on the performance of the amplifier from a bass standpoint and despite being a very inefficient speaker the Forte was an awesome pairing with it (so long as your room isn't too big).

It should be noted that combo was the 65W stereo amplifier version of the Diana called the Forte.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ah yes you're right about that. It was quite some time back. So this was a speaker preference. It certainly does make inutitive sense to pair in an active bass scenario. The room generated a fair amount of buzz at the show, even if not entirely my cup of tea sounding a bit soft.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ah yes you're right about that. It was quite some time back. So this was a speaker preference. It certainly does make inutitive sense to pair in an active bass scenario. The room generated a fair amount of buzz at the show, even if not entirely my cup of tea sounding a bit soft.
Try to hear the AC amps on the speaker of your choice (which is...??).

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Melody Valve AN 300B is one of the handfull of best sounding all tube integrateds I've ever heard:

I am still on the lookout for a used one at a good price.

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

Republicoftexas69

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 5

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I have heard the Absolare integrated and absolutely loved it, not to mention its a true piece of Audio Art. If you can afford the price of entry, need some power for your speakers and don't mind a hybrid circuit design the Absolare is a winner.

Reactions: Hyperion

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing