Converting Ripped SACD Files to DSD

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Hi,
I have nearly 400 titles I ripped from SACD. These played great on my Aurender, but are not recognized by Roon on my new Taiko Extreme server. I've gotten a couple suggestions for software to download and use to convert the SACD files into a format recognized and playable by Roon, but initial attempts have not been successful to even load the applications, so I'm starting a separate thread to ask for help, and also to serve to help those in the future with a similar need. Yes, I am not facile with much below a GUI level of Windows, so am looking for intuitive instructions on how to get this going.

Her are the two free apps others have suggested. When I double click on them as prescribed I get a pop up that asks me to choose a Windows app to run the .jar file. Which app runs .jar files? Do I need to download Java?

setmind/SACDExtractGUI

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I've used both of these and no app is needed if they are correctly extracted with all the necessary files. Yes, you need to install Java to run a .jar file. Here is what my SACDExtractGUI directory contains:
1659365904666.png

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Kal,
Thank you!

Java download fixed the first problem. I'm able to execute both apps. It doesn't seem to convert to DSD?

Evan

1659370367228.png

Attachments

• 1659370223208.png
    1659370223208.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 5

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Great, now navigate to Java settings through the Control Panel and enter purgatory attempting to stop it from updating. Then start attempting to block it communicating with their servers through your AV. Check your browser (automatically blocks it) as well for signs of contamination resulting from all those updates.

There was a very good reason I politely made a case for trial of a $15 software implementing code and input from established audiophiles and industry veterans. Not the least how neatly it's design aligns with protocols invented since the "00's.

At some point my free time and ability to spend it listening to music is the decidedly more valuable commodity.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
@ACHiPo

Make sure to set the output directory to a location you want, and then check for the output files there.

I recommend SACDExtractGUI. Use the options as ticked in my screenshot. Click Run to execute.

1659375474421.png

Reactions: cat6man

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
At least on macOS I ignore the GUI options and just run from the command line.

For example, assuming my Blu-ray player is at 192.168.0.222:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.0.222:2002 -s -2 -P -o /Volumes/Media/SACD

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I put the destination in the same folder as the ISO on my Taiko. I can't see it as a DSD file. I must be missing something.

1659382169282.png

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
I put the destination in the same folder as the ISO on my Taiko. I can't see it as a DSD file. I must be missing something.

View attachment 96385

The item you have selected (iso2dsd_gui.jar) in the Program field of the GUI is incorrect. You need to select the sacd_extract.exe executable. See my screenshot.

To make this a bit clearer: SACDExtractGUI is simply a GUI "wrapper" that allows you to set up the options you want, with the radio buttons, tick boxes, and input and output fields. Once you hit run, it translates that into a command line invocation of sacd_extract.exe, which is doing the actual extraction. If you are comfortable with command lines, you can skip the GUI like @BillK showed.

However, the GUI does make it a lot easier and clearer.

The sacd_extract.exe file comes from the 2nd repository in the AS post I linked: https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/tag/0.3.9.3
The download files are at the bottom of the page under Assets. Here is a direct link to the Win64 version: https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/download/0.3.9.3/sacd_extract-0.3.9.3-107-win64.zip

For convenience, many like myself and @Kal Rubinson , as shown in his screenshot above, extract the sacd_extract files into the same directory as SACDExtractGUI.

Hopefully this will get you back on track.

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
To make this a bit clearer: SACDExtractGUI is simply a GUI "wrapper" that allows you to set up the options you want, with the radio buttons, tick boxes, and input and output fields. Once you hit run, it translates that into a command line invocation of sacd_extract.exe, which is doing the actual extraction. If you are comfortable with command lines, you can skip the GUI like @BillK showed.

The sacd_extract.exe file comes from the 2nd repository in the AS post I linked: https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/tag/0.3.9.3
The download files are at the bottom of the page under Assets. Here is a direct link to the Win64 version: https://github.com/EuFlo/sacd-ripper/releases/download/0.3.9.3/sacd_extract-0.3.9.3-107-win64.zip

the gui is working fine here on linux after i updated to the latest sacd_extract (i had a very old version)

thanks @austinpop

Reactions: austinpop

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
The item you have selected (iso2dsd_gui.jar) in the Program field of the GUI is incorrect. You need to select the sacd_extract.exe executable. See my screenshot.

For convenience, many like myself and @Kal Rubinson , as shown in his screenshot above, extract the sacd_extract files into the same directory as SACDExtractGUI.

Hopefully this will get you back on track.
That is working! Thank you!

It created Windows Media Files. Is this correct?
1659390995770.png

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It created Windows Media Files. Is this correct?
That label is not informative. Right click on a file and select Properties --> Audio Properties to see what it really is. I usually have the files displayed with their full descriptor which should be .dsf

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Yes, change the File Explorer setting by going to View tab, and selecting the check box for file name extensions. Like shown below:

1659394513485.png

The file type should be DSF file. But as long as the name has the .dsf extension you should be good to go.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Thank you Kal. The extension is in fact .dsf so I should be all good.
1659394745548.png
..and I'm listening to 10cc!

494 albums to go...

Thanks!

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Got about 30 albums converted tonight. It’s tedious, but works smoothly, Thanks to all who helped!

Last edited:

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Got about 30 albums converted tonight. It’s tedious, but works smoothly, Thanks to all who helled!

Since the gui just makes it easier to create the command line, if you have a lot of discs you could create a batch file with a sequence of the command lines, one for each disc.
Then just let it rip.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Since the gui just makes it easier to create the command line, if you have a lot of discs you could create a batch file with a sequence of the command lines, one for each disc.
Then just let it rip.
You make it sound so easy and I feel like such a luddite!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I have to complement some of you! This is so far beyond my scope! I feel like the luddite! Kudos to you all for helping Evan figure this out. Very impressive!

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I gave up making the .isos early on in my time with the Sonore software and have been having it directly rip to Sony DSF.

This also saves a huge amount of HDD space. Never quite figured out why I wanted to save them as an .iso and then convert them. The DSF version (backed up on two other HDDs and my NAS) and the original disc are enough archives for me.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Then just let it rip.
Also, the GUI lets you set it up internally with a long list of ISOs to convert. So, you can load many and then let it run on its own.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Glad folks are up and running with SACDExtractGUI and EuFlo's sacd_extract. There are some advanced features there, like "Padding-less dsf" and "Select tracks" (concatenation) that can be ignored unless you run into the dreaded pops/ticks at track transitions.

If you do, remedies exist, and the next level of the rabbit hole awaits: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...-yes-its-true/?do=findComment&comment=1061854

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing