Copper, Silver, or Gold MC cartridge coils???

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Copper coils seem to be the most popular.

Silver coils seem to have the general trait of warmer midrange and extended high frequencies, by those that prefer them.

Copper has lower mass than silver and much less mass than gold. Better transients?

Silver has the best conductivity, followed by copper, then gold.

Can we draw any conclusions as to the type of sonic traits and preference of each type?

Any preferences and why your choice of type, or is there no big differences sonic wise?

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I've been thinking about that for a long time, and unfortunately, it seems that we can only know the answer comparing the exact same cartridge with the only difference being coil's material.

Despite lower conductivity and higher weight, gold has one clear advantage: it doesn't oxidize at all so crystal boundary issues don't exist at all. This could be extremely beneficial to the low level signals carried by a cartridge's coil, despite the higher weight and lower conductivity of gold.

Dave Slagle has a very interesting blog and he touches this subject, and he will compare gold vs silver coils in a cartridge:

I'm waiting for the comparison too, it is a very interesting subject IMO.

Reactions: bazelio

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Reading Slagle's thoughts on silver wire composition variables has been super interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Roman, the designer - builder behind the Sensitive Sound carts I represent, has recently switched to gold winding and platinum magnets for his top models after a long while using high purity copper and neo.

I continue to be amazed at the vigorous growth in analog this late in the digital era. I for one am still stoked on vinyl :)

Reactions: gestalt and marmota

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing