Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Take your dog (or ferrets) for a walk in the sun, you won’t feel like the world is ending.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, please put me right.
Corona is a more aggressive variant on flu. But it's still flu.
We lose vast numbers of people worldwide to flu, for centuries, and even today at the height of civility, and don't bat a collective eyelid.
And the stats show that the mortality rate of Corona and influenza is about the same in the young and middle aged, circa 0.1-0.3% of those infected, but Corona paricularly spikes to 1%+ once you go 70+, and 3% 85+, here significantly worse than influenza.
The rest of us? In the main a few days really bad stay in bed, mild snuffles, or asymptomatic.
And a lot to be said for allowing the not at risk younger population to develop herd immunity.

So...instead of allowing the Western capitalist system to crash willingly, wouldn't it have made more practical sense to spend the kinds of sums we are on ring fencing this vulnerable population.
Putting them in a metaphorical comfort blanket/bubble. Getting each at risk person a carer and mobilising the community to get involved. Installing Skype in all their homes to keep family contact.
And then rigorous testing across the whole poulation, esp health workers, and full investment in hazmat gear, ventilators, and investment in care in the community.
Even this in depth package would be less than the £350 billion Boris's chancellor has promised on commercial loans that will never be paid back.

So, segregate the truly at risk. Throw buckets of cash at them. Educate the lower risk public of the concept of herd immunity. Collate full data on virus progession in the population. And as the risk rises, levels and passes, reintroduce the at risk community back into the world.

And if Corona flares up again, start the process all over again.

Because it's cheaper than what we're doing. And doesn't risk the total trashing of Western economies.

What am I not seeing?

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
I'd like to call BS on post number 1384:

Maybe a little hopeful news in the US?

As of this moment, allegedly 3,541 active cases yet only 10 are serious or critical.

Source (which is updated multiple times a day so my numbers will quickly be outdated):

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I've been tracking these stats over the past few days and the number of "serious or critical" has never gone above 12, which is where it is right now.

Yet the same source says the US had 23 deaths in the past 24 hours.

So there is a major discrepancy between the alleged number of "serious or critical" patients and the number who really are at death's door. I'm not suggesting dishonesty, only incomplete data... which led me to share an erroneous conclusion.

Reactions: KeithR and rob

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For reasons I don't understand, this excellent article was posted and then taken down. It is an excellent report of the problems we have had with testing, and is supported by conversations I've had with friends who have had senior positions at CDC and are very knowledgeable about the situation regarding testing and test availability

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/what-went-wrong-with-coronavirus-testing-in-the-us

I do not consider this to be a political piece but rather good reporting. It is therefore unlike the piece reported earlier from Science magazine which was indeed a political hack job. That author intentionally stated that the administration cut both the CDC and NIH budget which is absolutely false, but was widely published by the media nonetheless for weeks. Even CNN had to admit this information was mistaken and thus retracted, by them.

There's a difference in allowing political editorials to appear here, and factual reporting such as the piece in the New Yorker cited above.
Sure, let's censure politics, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. This article is informative and helpful. I have not seen a better analysis.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sad to say that this playing out like a blizzard on a warm weather state.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
- China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.
- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.
- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.
- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,
- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.
- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.
- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.
- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.
- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.
-Taiwan learned ‘harsh lesson’ from Sars and has kept infections under 50

Reactions: NorthStar

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
For reasons I don't understand, this excellent article was posted and then taken down. It is an excellent report of the problems we have had with testing, and is supported by conversations I've had with friends who have had senior positions at CDC and are very knowledgeable about the situation regarding testing and test availability

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/what-went-wrong-with-coronavirus-testing-in-the-us

I do not consider this to be a political piece but rather good reporting. It is therefore unlike the piece reported earlier from Science magazine which was indeed a political hack job. That author intentionally stated that the administration cut both the CDC and NIH budget which is absolutely false, but was widely published by the media nonetheless for weeks. Even CNN had to admit this information was mistaken and thus retracted, by them.

There's a difference in allowing political editorials to appear here, and factual reporting such as the piece in the New Yorker cited above.
Sure, let's censure politics, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. This article is informative and helpful. I have not seen a better analysis.
Same reason mine was removed, some little bitch from across the pond whined and there was a knee jerk reaction to even mentioning CDC in any context. CDC is the agency in charge yet it's somehow political to mention their incompetence,

This was my post;

The inept CDC dropped the ball on this with the moronic regulations they had in place since the previous administration and all around incompetence. Roche's been shipping tests to China back in January but couldn't use them here because of those regulations which Trump lifted. You can't trust anything she or her bosses claim.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...irus-tests-to-quarantined-chinese-cities.html

https://www.roche.com/dam/jcr:945de...903b142a2/en/roche-statement-on-2019-nCoV.pdf

david

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
- China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.
- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.
- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.
- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,
- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.
- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.
- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.
- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.
- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.
- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.
-Taiwan learned ‘harsh lesson’ from Sars and has kept infections under 50
A test that only takes hours? Amazing! We’ve only been doing that for 3 months! :rolleyes:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I'd like to call BS on post number 1384:

I've been tracking these stats over the past few days and the number of "serious or critical" has never gone above 12, which is where it is right now.

Yet the same source says the US had 23 deaths in the past 24 hours.

So there is a major discrepancy between the alleged number of "serious or critical" patients and the number who really are at death's door. I'm not suggesting dishonesty, only incomplete data... which led me to share an erroneous conclusion.
a case is no longer serious if it is dead, I guess. The ultimate number manipulator?

Reactions: NorthStar

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We feel it is appropriate to close this thread because several of our mediical and pharmaceutical industry members have advised us that a significant portion of the "information" posted by members and readable through links posted by members is inaccurate, misleading or unhelpful.

The thread has devolved into a lot of random nonsense and snippiness. We think its usefulness is over.

Thank you for understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing