Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Marc, you don't need to be rich or part of the upper classes to enjoy a boat. You just need to be an old man on the sea. ;)

Like with audio, you need spirit and a willingness to learn. It helps if you put in some effort and know where you want to end up.

er... for me that would be land.

Reactions: Bobvin

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Bonzo,

I bid you 18% above market in the dark and you say nothing?

The fact that we now sit at 22% up is not relevant ,we all know you cannot commit to an audio system but the markets are your expertise,surely this is no time for a non commit strategy?

Kindest regards,G.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
From the opinion piece:

"You told me most people would be fine and kids don't get it. If you close school, won't kids be more likely to come in contact with grandparents, especially if a family cannot afford to arrange child care?"

Why is this a non-sensical question?

May be a one worded answer wasn't enough.

He does ask an interesting question: why not isolate the high risk groups? Theoretically if you can round up anyone at risk from serious disease and isolate them until the disease disappears that would be a way. That is what is done in animal health with biosecurity. But I question the possibility of doing this, especially in the US. The elderly not only need food, medicines and home essentials but many live with other age groups and if they continue life as normal they will get in trouble. The elderly also need social companionship. To an extent they are already doing this for senior homes which should be on lock down and so should the staff working there or they will be a major risk to the residents. But how do you do it for millions and millions of seniors I just don't know. The Diamond Princess was a sort of lock down of high risk groups but without the necessary safeguards and look what happened. An alternative is that you try and prevent mass infections of the whole population which is what school closures, event cancellations and working from home is trying to achieve. To me it might appear to be the most painful solution short term but it works. Just look at the countries that have done it.

The main problem I see with the challenge is not the fact that the policies are being challenged. We challenged our government's way of doing things as not being extreme enough until they changed the policies. Unfortunately the US and Europe previously were doing the opposite. Why so extreme? It's just a cold! More people die of flu etc etc. Now some of those countries are paying a high price. In my opinion you need to do what places like HK and Singapore did. Shut everything down except the essentials or you will be doing it anyway but in a much more difficult situation.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Not true, kids also "get" Covid-19, generally their symptoms are much less severe.

If you close schools, kids will not come into contact with anywhere near the amount of people who already have the virus. Thus much mess likely to bring it home to their Parens and Grandparents. If there is one seemingly universally agreed measure by health experts social distancing is the most important factor in reducing the spread if this virus.

Of course kids get it. They are part of the problem with Covid-19. They are silent spreaders and their grandparents are the sentinels who will succumb. Reducing infection in the kids will reduce the risk to their elders. Reducing infection to kids means shutting schools.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Not true, kids also "get" Covid-19, generally their symptoms are much less severe.

If you close schools, kids will not come into contact with anywhere near the amount of people who already have the virus. Thus much mess likely to bring it home to their Parens and Grandparents. If there is one seemingly universally agreed measure by health experts social distancing is the most important factor in reducing the spread if this virus.
Yes Rob - every government is holding off closing down normal life until infections start to spike and then clamping down- no one wants to be poor Italy - they would rather be Korea etc. and control the load on the health care system - weirdly that guy makes good sense at the beginning of his talk pointing out the benefit of flattening the curve but his proposal of keeping schools etc. open is more or less proposing the Italian situation - I then stopped watching :(

Phil

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have just checked with my online supermarket and there are no delivery slots available until 11.30pm on Tuesday 24 March.
Will they or the Government, should the latter advise 70+s to socially isolate, instruct the online supermarkets to give priority to deliveries to that group?
Seems a no brainer to me.

That is a major concern. May be local groups can mobilise and provide support. If everyone supports two houses to their right and left it should be enough. Having said that I was saying to someone imagine how much easier it is now with mobile phones, WhatsApp and online deliveries compared to just 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
After the update by Pence today there are going to be hundreds of stand alone testing stations being set up outside
(brilliant) the hospitals across the nation. What this means is the numbers are going to spike like no other. The next week to two weeks are going to explode the paranoids minds. Its not going to change anything other than give the talking heads more numbers to scare the shit out of everyone.
Cooler heads need to prevail.
Actually the real numbers will not skyrocket, just the diagnosed numbers. This could have of course been avoided if testing had been available in the first place. A shame, when places had months to prepare but didn't.

Reactions: rbbert and Elberoth

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah yes, the old bucket and jar analogy. Who needs experts?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

In UK we will be able to control the flow like pouring water

More inflections... wait hold up, let’s slow down... yes.... ok more again....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In UK we will be able to control the flow like pouring water

More inflections... wait hold up, let’s slow down... yes.... ok more again....

Infections, not inflections... Latter is used to describe violin nuances in audio reports

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, w $700bn being pumped into the US economy, and whatever the Asian economic stimulus response is, will this turn out like SARS? Where a not vast number of people die, but the world economy is pump primed for growth?

Ie everyone get their R&R downtime in now, ahead of bumper growth in 6-9 months?

Or are we all now in the Japanese boat from 1980s, decades of zero growth, govts like the UK one borrowing like there's no tomorrow while interest rates are at historic lows.

I wonder what the Gen Zs in the UK will feel about that, having grown up w austerity as a policy. Likely to have it when they're older as well.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Video after video from UK supermarkets of interminable queues of panic buying.

Yep, they're SO scared of this virus they're happy to stand for hours in close proximity to dozens of people coughing and sneezing, while simultaneously increase chances of some older/iller people actually doing much worse because this stops them physically shopping/supplies run out.

This makes me SO mad.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually in London toilet rolls, hand sanitizer, and disposable face masks are available in stores.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Good luck with stopping the flow "just at the top" while you have a 5 day blind incubation period with exponential growth.

So you have to guess the exact time when the water will be "just at the top", go back 5 days in logarithmic fashion to find the perfect time to isolate people.

That's a bold move.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good luck. Is that the old adage, that you're safer closer to the centre of an explosion?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In which case we can plan to move to Milan in two more months

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing