Craig’s Humble System

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Congrats Craig on a cracking system - you’ve obviously put a lot of thought into upgrading your system but you do realise you’ve now ventured past ‘humble’ with the calibre of system you’ve now assembled! One day I hope to hear it…

Reactions: Macattack

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Great thread, Craig. Thank you for sharing your changes. I like the speaker location in free space and it looks like they have zero toe in. I’ve heard great things about karma speakers. I think I also recognize the blue tape center line reference that Jim Smith uses when setting up speakers.

I would be very interested in reading about your approach, how you describe the differences between the two systems and what you hear.
Peter,
The easiest comparison is between the Sonus Faber Stradivaris and the Kharma dB11-S. The Kharmas are more open on top, more controlled on the bottom and have an even warmer midrange. Together, that equals significantly more detail with a solid foundation. Midbass notes - think drum kicks - are cleaner, more accurate - just better.

Combined with the K-50/Valhalla 2, I also now have a clearer sound stage - Instruments/musicians are depicted in space front to back and left to right. It is simply better.

Now, I may still incorporate my crossover and the two subs but that will be to scratch an audiophile itch of ‘what-if’ or to handle the organ music that SCAudiophile will play when he visits. My room does have a ~60Hz bump which I may be able to moderate by incorporating the subs.

Reactions: PeterA

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Congrats Craig on a cracking system - you’ve obviously put a lot of thought into upgrading your system but you do realise you’ve now ventured past ‘humble’ with the calibre of system you’ve now assembled! One day I hope to hear it…
Ha, I can’t change the title!!! But compared to many here, I still feel it is humble.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Craig, did Jim Smith try to integrate your subs with your new speakers? I’m curious if the JL subs’ character matches the character of the karma speakers?
I only have Jim’s DVDs and a few phone conversations. I haven’t had him him visit yet. While he will no doubt nail it better than me, I truly enjoy the setup portion of this hobby. I like the experimentation.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you Craig. Those Karmas seem wonderful. For me it has never been about “more” bass or bass extension. I am much more interested in bass quality: How natural or convincing it sounds. Of course extension and weight and impact are great, but if it doesn’t sound real, I’d rather not have it. Organ music is great but if the integration with subs isn’t good I’d rather hear a system without subs.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I only have Jim’s DVDs and a few phone conversations. I haven’t had him him visit yet. While he will no doubt mail it better than me, I truly enjoy the setup portion of this hobby. I like the experimentation.

Experimentation is the best way to learn. It can also be a lot of fun. Set up is critical as I have learned over the years.

Jazzman53

I too had an opportunity to hear Craig's system a couple of years ago, when he still had the big Mac's powering the Strad's.

The system and room synergy was something to behold. I could listen all day without fatigue... simply amazing! Especially impressive was the seamless integration of the subwoofer, which I confess left me a little envious because I have always struggled with that.

Craig was a wonderful host and patient to explain how he achieved the sound. And BTW; humble it ain't.

I left amazed and glad to have made a couple of new audio friends (met Jeff there too) and inspired to do some treatments and tweaking to my own (really humble) system, which I've since accomplished.

Kudos Craig!

Charlie in Savannah

Reactions: SCAudiophile

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I've been to Craig's twice with the Strads and the gear he had at those times. His system was excellent and he had
the Strads sounding better than I'd ever heard them in all the times I'd heard them over the years even in the best
and most expensive of setups. I love Strads and what he accomplished with them was extremely impressive.

I cannot wait to get back there to hear his latest setup and the new Kharmas with the latest Bricasti, Shunyata and Antipodes upgrades as well as as spending some time nearby at a mutual friend's place with his Verity Audio, Aesthetix, Shunyata, Mola Mola and Antipodes latest upgrades.

Craig is an extremely methodical setup practitioner,...much more patient, measured and organized than just about anyone I've ever met (including me,...I get impatient regarding measurements and just listen); the results in his room and system speak for themselves!

Last edited:
Reactions: Levitator

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Not the latest but close.
Thanks for the kind comments Charlie and Mark!

Attachments

• A2206CBA-CB3F-4BA1-BDA7-B28AB15954D2.jpeg
    A2206CBA-CB3F-4BA1-BDA7-B28AB15954D2.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 60D7ADB0-8E3D-4D10-A1AA-8465A8C1DF8D.jpeg
    60D7ADB0-8E3D-4D10-A1AA-8465A8C1DF8D.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 36AA2296-49BF-4068-B736-479CAD153860.jpeg
    36AA2296-49BF-4068-B736-479CAD153860.jpeg
    674.2 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: SCAudiophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing