Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Dear Tang,

my home is nearly 20 years old, i've been here for 16 years. the roof is concrete tile, which is ideal for a high wind environment, last forever, as well as being fireproof. the negative of a concrete tile roof is that in a rainy environment moss can easily grow. so i have it cleaned every 3 years, and there are the occasional broken tiles and such. otherwise the roof is as good as new, maybe better as the roofing company has re-worked a few areas for better drainage especially on the barn roof. and the structure of the house needs to be stout to handle the weight of the roof.

unfortunately my front porch roof was not quite stout enough.

i debated whether to share this little part of my snow experience. please be gentle and allow me to move on from this event. i know there will be some that will end up throwing this back in my face at a future opportune time.

at 1:45 am this morning i was awakened by a loud crash. i hoped it was some snow sliding off my roof. unfortunately it was my front porch roof crashing forward and breaking up. i think one of the two front posts somehow gave way.

no one was hurt thank god. hopefully just an insurance deductible and a few months of hassle and ugly.

when they declared a snow emergency they were not kidding.

porch d.jpg

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Dear Tang,

my home is nearly 20 years old, i've been here for 16 years. the roof is concrete tile, which is ideal for a high wind environment, as well as being fireproof. the negative of a concrete tile roof is that in a rainy environment moss can easily grow. so i have it cleaned every 3 years, and there are the occasional broken tiles and such. otherwise the roof is as good as new, maybe better as the roofing company has re-worked a few areas for better drainage especially on the barn roof. and the structure of the house needs to be stout to handle the weight of the roof.

i debated whether to share this little part of my snow experience. please be gentle and allow me to move on from this event. i know there will be some that will end up throwing this back in my face at a future opportune time.

at 1:45 am this morning i was awakened by a loud crash. i hoped it was some snow sliding off my roof. unfortunately it was my front porch roof crashing forward and breaking up. i think one of the two front posts somehow gave way.

no one was hurt thank god. hopefully just an insurance deductible and a few months of hassle and ugly.

View attachment 48615
That is too bad.

But it is fortunate that nobody got hurt.

I hope that you will repair those things without much huddle.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yikes! I'm glad no one was near it when it decided it had had enough. It looks like the attachment from the truss to the pillar wasn't good enough for the rare super load. It looks like only a little bit of change is needed, so you'll be able to maintain the look. I don't think anyone is going to trying to beat you up over it, rather just feeling empathetic as surprise home failures are not fun as most people know...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So sorry to learn of this very aggravating occurrence, Mike!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

my home is nearly 20 years old, i've been here for 16 years. the roof is concrete tile, which is ideal for a high wind environment, last forever, as well as being fireproof. the negative of a concrete tile roof is that in a rainy environment moss can easily grow. so i have it cleaned every 3 years, and there are the occasional broken tiles and such. otherwise the roof is as good as new, maybe better as the roofing company has re-worked a few areas for better drainage especially on the barn roof. and the structure of the house needs to be stout to handle the weight of the roof.

View attachment 48615
Ouch! I was just thinking the snow put quite a load on your porch. What's why I asked. Hope the damage is not so big. Bad things are gone and over with. Good things will come after sir.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
thanks Guys, for the kind comments and positive wishes.

Tang, i hope the insurance claim investigator will be able to tell me why this happened. my home gets lots of weather and could that have weakened some part of the support? or was it just that the snow load exceeded the design capacity? we will see if that can be determined.

for my own piece of mind i would like to know what caused what as that will guide my future actions.

in a few months this will be behind me.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask and Folsom

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Oh.... that is not looking good.
I hope everything is safe now and the weather is getting better soon overthere.
I wish you the best!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Wow, glad nobody is hurt!

In 2003 I was living in the Nederland, CO area... I was ~500 ft elevation higher, so just over 9000 ft, and got about 12 ft of snow over 2 days. They had to bring in those massive snowthrowers that clear avalanches off of highways on the divide to clear our roads. Once the major highway in the area was clear it allowed heavy equipment the ability to move around and help clear smaller roads and driveways. All in all it took 7 days before I could go anywhere. The neighbors made a network of snowshoe trails to get around, and luckily somehow power never went out. The town of Nederland lost power for a few days, that must have been difficult...

The morning of the 2nd day of snow I open the front door and there's just a wall of snow in front of me about 9 ft tall. My dog wanted to go outside and looked confused, just sat there looking at the snow, lol...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Mike, you live in beautiful surroundings up in the mountains with the wildlife; the natural elements you live through them, including snow accumulation. Why in heavens would someone not be gentle and throwing this back @ you @ a future opportunistic time?!?

Are not all members of WBF dignified gentlemen?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, you live in beautiful surroundings up in the mountains with the wildlife; the natural elements you live through them, including snow accumulation. Why in heavens would someone not be gentle and throwing this back @ you @ a future opportunistic time?!?

Are not all members of WBF dignified gentlemen?

history is the best teacher. points get made with tools at hand, and each of us has our own compass.

WBF members are an exceptional group, i'm proud to be a part of it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
History is history, mistakes have been made and mistakes are never to be repeated.
The future is only moving forward. All the snow and ice in the world is melting faster than ever.
Nothing last forever, let the good times roll.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
thanks Guys, for the kind comments and positive wishes.

Tang, i hope the insurance claim investigator will be able to tell me why this happened. my home gets lots of weather and could that have weakened some part of the support? or was it just that the snow load exceeded the design capacity? we will see if that can be determined.

for my own piece of mind i would like to know what caused what as that will guide my future actions.

in a few months this will be behind me.

The load on the surface seems to be the reason, overall this will be a somewhat easy repair, a lot more worse could of happened - looks like things are improving.

I would almost think a metal roof would make sense out there, maybe an idea on the porch overhang with a cool color?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The load on the surface seems to be the reason, overall this will be a somewhat easy repair, a lot more worse could of happened - looks like things are improving.

I would almost think a metal roof would make sense out there, maybe an idea on the porch overhang with a cool color?

Yes, we all know it was snow. See where the truss's separated from the support? There's virtually no damage. It probably wasn't made to hold up the heft of such weight (he lives close enough to Seattle that it would be easy for a builder to think there's only going to be rain). If one side had extra weight it would create a little twist and pull from the house and then you lose stability of all the points supporting it. This isn't a problem of the type of roofing. But really, let's wait for a report from someone on site. There's no doubt Mike will get it back together and impervious to future problems.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It is still snowing ... all white everywhere ... it looks real pretty on Valentine's Day.
The forests and the mountains used to be green, now they are white.
It's like a beautiful movie in black and white.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing