CTH 8550 as a Preamp

Patras

Dec 26, 2018
Hello!

I was wondering if someone has used the CHT-8550 as a pream with the NHB108 as a power amp?

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy the Dartzeel preamp and I find it's harder to find the NHB18ns than the CHT8550 on the second hand market, so I thought maybe it's a good idea the use the integrated as a preamp. Any thoughts or experiences?

Regards,

Patras

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I did just that, while I was waiting for my 18NS. It's pretty good, but of course, the 18NS will be significantly better.
There's a setting in the menu to disable the internal preamp, so it's quite easy.
Just make sure to get the BNC cables (Zeel) to link the 108 to the CTH (and to the 18NS).

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
And I think a "problem" (so to speak) with a used 18NS is going to be that it won't be the most recent iteration. Or at least, it'd be much harder to find as it's so new. I do believe the phono section was updated in the newer version, as well as the addition of a front LCD panel for adjusting resistive load and/or gain (maybe both - I don't recall). With the previous version, I believe load adjustment involved a soldering iron, and I'm under the impression that changes to the phono circuitry in the newer version didn't end there.

Patras

Dec 26, 2018
Thank you all very much for your feedbacks.

As I live in Spain, anyone knows if it is possible to switch the voltage on the 18ns ?

Patras

Dec 26, 2018
It's been a few years since I asked the question and I wanted to know if anyone else has used the integrated as a preamplifier and can share their experience?

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing