Custom 1.7 stands and moved 20cm...

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
A month or so ago I made some custom stands for my 1.7s out of leftover kitchen butcher block worksurface and broom handles.
I had been using Midas stands which I had bought in the 1980s for SMGa. They were great because they lifted the speakers off the floor, but did not help with rigidity.
Also I wanted to make a smaller footprint.

Transformation. I can't believe the difference. Tighter, more focus, imaging and bass improvement.

Anyway yesterday I decided to play with Cardas speaker placement calculator which has a specific calculator for planar speakers. It resulted in moving the speakers back to the front wall by 20cm. Again quite a staggering positive change in the bass. Cardas Speaker Placement Calculator

IMG_20201025_082539402~2.jpg

IMG_20201025_082524765~3.jpg

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Congrats and thanks for the link to the calculator.
Your selfbuilt stands look very stable and well made for the "cheap" ingredients you used :cool:
I quickly measured the room and placement of my Apogee system that I setup by listening and guess what, I ended up within centimeters at the same position the calculator spit out :D
Do you think I should try it also to the absolutely exact numbers?

Does this Cardas method also say where your listening seat should be positioned?

Reactions: Direct Drive

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Does this Cardas method also say where your listening seat should be positioned?

Christoph, thanks for your kind words.
Unfortunately it doesn't say where the ideal listening position is. I have moved my seat forward slightly to experiment.

Do you think I should try it also to the absolutely exact numbers

That is what I did. Mine were 1.53 m from wall, Cards recommended 1.33m...hey presto.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Cardas says 1.48m and mine are out 1.43m so I guess I can't be arsed to move them out only 5 cm more :oops:
Do you implement some toe-in?

How far is your listening chair from the speakers plane and from the back wall?

PS: you have some very interesting and very rare old japanese DDs along with the nice Garrard and Thorens idlers. Very impressive collection :cool:

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
you implement some toe-in?
Yes, only slightly with tweeters on outside.

How far is your listening chair from the speakers plane and from the back wall?
About 65cm at present. Seems to work which is against popular convention.

PS: you have some very interesting and very rare old japanese DDs along with the nice Garrard and Thorens idlers. Very impressive collection
Many thanks. Far bit more either tucked away or on loan. I THINK I have 3 or 4 other pairs of Maggie's hidden in their boxes....just can't help myself:eek:.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, only slightly with tweeters on outside.

About 65cm at present. Seems to work which is against popular convention.

Many thanks. Far bit more either tucked away or on loan. I THINK I have 3 or 4 other pairs of Maggie's hidden in their boxes....just can't help myself:eek:.
I'm a bit of a hoarder myself :oops:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing