DAC And Headphone Amp And Headphones

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
What (open-back)headphones best pair with Chord Hugo 2?

Is Hugo 2 a good DAC and headphone amp? What other DAC and headphone amps would you recommend? (I listen to Classic and Musicals for most of the time. Rock and Alternative sometimes).

Thanks.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
T&A DSD Dac 8 is an excellent dac for the money, particularly when fed DSD by a top notch server, and also has a decent headphone output.

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
I use a T&A DAC 8 with a Headamp GS-X Mk2 with Sennheiser HD800. I like it but I can't say I've compared it with a lot of other gear.

I've not used the T&A DAC headphone jack.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
It did well with my HE1k v2. Has a decent power output. Not necessarily the last word in headamps but plenty respectable all the same

Hipper

Jun 12, 2011
Hertfordshire, UK
What do you think of the Sennheiser HD800?

Thanks.

I've had it over six years and I love them. Before that I had the HD650, but the HD800 sounds better and is much more comfortable.

It sounds more open and the bass more natural. I found the bass on the HD650 a bit forced and treble a bit weak. As for comfort, the ear pieces are bigger and accommodate my whole ear so they don't seem to be pressing on them unlike the HD650. The HD650 sit reasonably tightly on the head (they are not head crushers though!) whilst the HD800 are a touch looser so if you like jumping up and down whilst listening they may not be for you. I just sit sedately in a chair.

If you have the money they are worth a test but I've no idea how they compare with their rivals. I've always done well with Sennheiser.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Looking for new headphones. Looks like the HD800 comes out a winner for a lot of you guys. Any others I should try?
I absolutely love my HD800. I prefer them above the HD800s and the 600 and 650.
I don't have a problem with them being too bright either. If you listen to jazz, classical, well recorded acoustic music; blues , americana....best headphones to be had.

Reactions: audiomonkey777
Aug 12, 2019
I absolutely love my HD800. I prefer them above the HD800s and the 600 and 650.
I don't have a problem with them being too bright either. If you listen to jazz, classical, well recorded acoustic music; blues , americana....best headphones to be had.
Thanks. Sounds like a good recommendation then. Love jazz and the blues so I may be on to a winner.

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
The Hugo2 can’t begin to drive the Susvaras. I’m running mine off the speaker taps of the darTZeel LHC-208 which outputs 200 WPC into 8ohms. They need every bit of that power to perform up to their extraordinary capabilities, IMHO.

Reactions: thomask
Aug 12, 2019
The Hifiman Susvara & Ananda's are a winner (in that order ;)) Depends on how much you want to spend I suppose.

Hey there. thanks for the response - don't think my budget runs to the Susvaras! lol. I bet they make a great listen though. The Ananda's might be a goer. Need to find somewhere near me I can audition them. Anyone got them? Would welcome you thoughts. Thanks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Noise cancelling headphones allow you to switch to ambient mode.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing