DAC mistake

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
I may have just taken one step forward and two steps back. I just bought an Ayre C-5exMP to replace an EVS modded Oppo BDP-105 in a stereo system. Even though the Ayre is about 5 years older than the Oppo, I am confident it will sound better on CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As. What it won't do is play the extensive library of music I have on USB thumb drives. I know I can just get a DAC with a USB input analog outputs; but How can I navigate all the folders and tracks? Right now I use an old PC monitor connected to the 105 via HDMI. That won't be possible with a Schiit Modi or any other DAC I know of and I need to sell the Oppo to keep the Ayre. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
You could always add a streamer to deliver data to DAC and install a NAS for music files.

OOPS, actually you can't. Looks like Ayre is a multiformat digital disc player without any digital inputs, so you really need a separate DAC for file playback.

Last edited:
Reactions: stereonut8

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
Are there any DACs or servers that support video for navigation? I'm searching; but haven't found one yet.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Are there any DACs or servers that support video for navigation? I'm searching; but haven't found one yet.
Many. Choose a server that runs on a PC/Mac/Linux computer/laptop like JRiver, Roon, Audirvana, etc., etc., ...........................

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Wow! The Kal Rubinson! Thanks for the angle.

I agree with Kal. I am using a “touchscreen” HP Pavilion PC running Roon. Connect it via USB to the DAC. This gives you an inexpensive, all in one, music server with a touchscreen interface. And yes it sounds great.

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
I agree with Kal. I am using a “touchscreen” HP Pavilion PC running Roon. Connect it via USB to the DAC. This gives you an inexpensive, all in one, music server with a touchscreen interface. And yes it sounds great.
Which DAC are you using?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I started with this awhile back. ssd, i7, 16gb ram. It's OK.
But SGC i7 Sonictransporter is much better. Roon Nucleus+ in between.......Iess glare, more depth, bigger sound stage.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Presumably it is what he asked for in post #3. If not, my bad.
He asked for video navigation which I assume means a large screen. If not, my bad. ;-)

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I started with this awhile back. ssd, i7, 16gb ram. It's OK.
But SGC i7 Sonictransporter is much better. Roon Nucleus+ in between.......Iess glare, more depth, bigger sound stage.

Yes, I know there is always more. But I gave the easy big jump route. We use a NUC running Roon Rock. But a Pc Pavilion as a stand alone works and sounds great.

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
Totaldac d1-core. Lampizator Pacific.
I'd heard great things about Lampizator products but neglected to explore them.
Is that a Sheba Inu?

I have decided to keep the Oppo until I can solve this puzzle. Not sure how I will charm the wife. The thing is that I had created a list of possible upgrades to the Oppo and The Ayre C-5 and DX-5 were both on it along with all the Esoterics and usual suspects. When the C-5xePM came up at an attractive price I checked my list quickly and by mistake read the DX-5 line, which was "Yes" in the USB column.

The Ayre DX-5 may be a solution; but it got a luke warm grade on SACD from Fremmer. Also, he said something about converting his FLAC files to AIFF. I don't think I want to do that.

Maybe my wife won't notice the new "box" on the shelf. :rolleyes: I don't think I'll be that lucky. The C-5xeMP doesn't look like any of my other stuff.

Happy New Year and once again, I appreciate all the help. I've really learned a lot!

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Yes I have two Shibas: Haku and Hiro names from the Miyazaki “Spirted Away” movie.

The difficulty is SACD. Keeping a spinner that can do SACD and then also do a computer connection is problematic. Not that there aren’t many products that can’t do it, it’s more that I was looking for something a bit extra in sound quality. I had been a longtime digital bigot. But there are now several DACs that bridge the analog-digital gap. So if you can make the leap to an ALL computer file based music system, it is easier. There are ways to rip your SACD collection to DSD or DSF files which I won’t go into. That information is readily available.

Either the Lampizator or the Totaldac are excellent solutions and while I haven’t heard it myself The Aries Cerat Kasandra belongs in that little group.

Roon running in a good computer has excellent “on the fly” upsampling capabilities. I have found that resampling to DSD 256 works very well into the Pacific.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The difficulty is SACD. Keeping a spinner that can do SACD and then also do a computer connection is problematic. Not that there aren’t many products that can’t do it, it’s more that I was looking for something a bit extra in sound quality. I had been a longtime digital bigot. But there are now several DACs that bridge the analog-digital gap. So if you can make the leap to an ALL computer file based music system, it is easier. There are ways to rip your SACD collection to DSD or DSF files which I won’t go into. That information is readily available. (...)

The DCS stack spins SACDs and transmits the digital information through a AES/EBU encoded channel. At less using my experimental servers - Roon, W10 and Jcat net - the physical SACD sounds better than ripped files. I have some doubts on SACD ripping - I have several SACD rips of the same album carried by different people using different techniques - Sony playstation and Pionner - and the files differ! As far as I know threre in no way of checking if the rip was bit exact or not.

Anyway ripping SACDs is not an easy affair to most of us - much more complicated than ripping CDs. Until I owned the Vivaldi I considered SACD an unnecessary audiophile curiosity, not anymore after listening to it!

stereonut8

Jul 12, 2018
First, let me say that I am humbled by kindness of the luminaries sharing their experience here. Wow!
Second, let me mention that I really like having all the credits and hopefully the lyrics in my sweaty little hands when I listen to an album the first few times. And later when my memory is in a lapse. (It's not the things I forget that worry me the most. It's the things I 'remember' that never happened!)
That's the main drawback to downloads. If you've never heard of Sound Dike go to https://www.soundike.com. They have an extensive library that you can download by the album or by the song for amazingly low prices. $0.15 per song, or less! Most are 320 kbps and sound pretty good. The only drawback is there's no digital booklet. I just spent 30 min unsuccessfully trying to find out who the female background vocalists are on Southside Johnny's Heartbreak City. Sounds just like Gimme Shelter at one point. Now it will bother me all night. At least I won't be worrying about the wife. ;)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The DCS stack spins SACDs and transmits the digital information through a AES/EBU encoded channel. At less using my experimental servers - Roon, W10 and Jcat net - the physical SACD sounds better than ripped files. I have some doubts on SACD ripping - I have several SACD rips of the same album carried by different people using different techniques - Sony playstation and Pionner - and the files differ! As far as I know threre in no way of checking if the rip was bit exact or not.

Anyway ripping SACDs is not an easy affair to most of us - much more complicated than ripping CDs. Until I owned the Vivaldi I considered SACD an unnecessary audiophile curiosity, not anymore after listening to it!

Micro this is important to me
I have a big sacd collection
I use a dedicated server with my DA2

But I have been thinking of getting a great sacd player for the second system, which prioritises SACD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing