DAC recommendations

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ah thanks Mep,
didnt realise this was an option these days.
Would be fun to compare a true 24/192 digital file to the DSD one.
That said I can see having a DAC that can do both gives greater future flexibility.

Thanks again
Orb

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Many of the digital gurus think that DSD is about as good as it gets. I really like having the capability to play different formats. I love being able to play LPs, tape, and digital files. I’m currently limited to playing digital files with 24/192 as the highest resolution. Being able to play DSD files adds another capability and I look forward to hearing them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Many of the digital gurus think that DSD is about as good as it gets. I really like having the capability to play different formats. I love being able to play LPs, tape, and digital files. I’m currently limited to playing digital files with 24/192 as the highest resolution. Being able to play DSD files adds another capability and I look forward to hearing them.

You got a good point there mister. ...Marc?
Because music is often more easily available in one format than another.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi Bruce:

Very interesting looking unit. I have actually contacted them about a review sample. Audiophiles will certainly be suspicious of the "low" price, as compared to some of the recent darlings of the audio press, like the Bricasti and Berekely units. My current reference is the Bryston BDA-1. I really like have optional upsampling.

PS, I actually joined this forum today partly because of you. Your posts and contributions are very illuminating. Your straightforward honesty is totally refreshing.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
PS, I actually joined this forum today partly because of you. Your posts and contributions are very illuminating. Your straightforward honesty is totally refreshing.

Thank-you kind sir!! Glad to have you aboard.... my honesty though has made me a "target rich environment"!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Maybe so, but life is too short to not tell it like it is!

I own quite a few HDtracks downloads, but I have been very selective, based partly on your recommendations.

I really want that Fleet Foxes album, and Foreigner 4. Is that the remix from the DVD-A, or the original mix?

I also have my eye on the Miles Espanol album.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Cool. I actually don't mind a remix. The Rhino CD is very harsh. I love the work that Inglot and Hersch did at Digiprep but this one is a stinker.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon, Andre and welcome to the WBF!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
PS Audio DAC MK2 a reviewed in hifi-advice.com

catastrofe

Feb 17, 2012
Saint Louis
MSB Signature DAC IV. In my system, and to my ears, it bested: Weiss DAC 202, Playback Designs MPS-5 (limited to 16/48K), Meitner MA-1 (non-DSD version), and PS Audio PWD (MK I). Pricey yes, but absolutely sublime.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I do not own a PS Audio DAC MK2, but I have read it is playing on a higher level.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
MSB Signature DAC IV. In my system, and to my ears, it bested: Weiss DAC 202, Playback Designs MPS-5 (limited to 16/48K), Meitner MA-1 (non-DSD version), and PS Audio PWD (MK I). Pricey yes, but absolutely sublime.

And it IS quite a bit more expensive than most of those,isn't it?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The MSB DAC sounded really good at CES. Importantly, they played the type of content that would draw out differences in DACs.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The MSB Studio ADC with Femtosecond Galaxy clock is probably the best PCM A to D converter I've had the pleasure of using.

I've only heard the Diamond DAC at shows and not in my system.... yet!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The MSB Studio ADC with Femtosecond Galaxy clock is probably the best PCM A to D converter I've had the pleasure of using.

I've only heard the Diamond DAC at shows and not in my system.... yet!

The fellow who started MSB built the switch for my R2R in order to use a head amp which he is also designing

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The fellow who started MSB built the switch for my R2R in order to use a head amp which he is also designing

Larry and Vincent are great guys to work with. We used one of their DAC's at CES last year.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
It's rather pedestrian for some of this crowd but I'm really enjoying my Benchmark DAC1 Pre now that I have the Stereovox XV cable coming out of the SCD-777ES. I've also attached an AQ Diamond USB which is quite good from my Mac Mini. Really terrific sound on my HDTracks downloads.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing