DAC recommendations

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just to note, there are three versions of the Mytek Stereo192. Preamp versions in black with LED meters & unbalanced analog inputs, preamp version in silver w/unbalanced analog inputs but no LED meters, and the mastering version in black with LED meters and a pair of BNC SDIF DSD inputs replacing the RCA inputs on the previous two.

Performance is otherwise claimed to be similar among the three (firmware is different for each device, however).

With the exception of the occasional SACD player, few (or perhaps no) consumer devices will output DSD, correct?

Tom

The version I would recommend is the one I linked to, the black mastering version. There are a few consumer devices that will output DSD.
You could use a server type of computer using either Audirvana, Pure Music, Emotion or Foobar via USB.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not sure what micro is referring but for me and having owned a lot of vintage Krell I found their amps somewhat dark

Can you define what you mean by dark? To me that implies a lack of top end extension, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say "dark."

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro-please tell me what sound signature my vintage Krell gear has.

Mep,
Steve was faster than me - I would also say on the dark side, very powerful but not with the very fast sound of an Atmasphere OTL. It is not easy to me to express it, but having owned both I know the sound pretty well.
IMHO you need a DAC that injects detail and some spark in the Krells, otherwise the system will be too polite, but at the same time keeps the fantastic slam capability of them. Poorly matched digital , again IMHO, often lacks this capability. Please understand that these are my views based on my preferences, and do not associate any negative points with my wording.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Micro. I'm still wanting to know what people mean when they say "dark." I don't know if you and Steve mean the same things-maybe you do.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Thanks Micro. I'm still wanting to know what people mean when they say "dark." I don't know if you and Steve mean the same things-maybe you do.

i had a ksa 250 when they came out in '92, i used it to drive duetta signatures and then my soundlab A-3. imo, i would characterize the sound as reticent or back of the hall, the converse of up front or in your face, and not bright either. i also owned two ksa 50 Mk II, a ksa 100 mk II and ksa 80 and would say they all had a similar signature.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That is what I also read: too reserved, too polite.

* Hiding behind a black veil, in the shadows, in the dark.
The opposite of frank, direct, clear, outspoken, white, transparent. :b

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Also depends on the condition of the beast ... the last one big'un I heard in someone's home was anything but polite: it was grabbing me by the throat and saying, "You'd better bloody listen, and listen good, to this!!". Reserved is the last word that came to mind ... :b

Frank

RDB

Jan 8, 2012
Niagara Falls NY.
The best DAC in a shootout I did to pick my demo DAC for CES was the M2Tech Young - and it is comparable to some Megabuck DAC's. However, it doesn't have balanced output - although it will go up to 24/384 via USB (data dump mode). It also performs exceptionally well with computer servers as it seems less susceptible to jitter coming from the computer than the two other USB DACs I tried.

Gary
The M2Tech Young is very high on my list. However another DAC has entered the picture. I recently found out that Wadia will be releasing(soon I hope)their model 121. My dealer is authorized for both M2tech and Wadia and I will get a chance to audition both in my system. The Benchmark DAC1 USB also rates very high on my list.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Mep,
have you also considered using a high quality USB-SPDIF bridge/converter such as the one Amir has mentioned in the past (cannot remember its name but is very impressive) or the Halide?
Benefit of these is that they provide excellent isolation while having SOTA jitter measurements (both signal related and random).

This then opens up more options on DACs, but I appreciate some of the ones mentioned already may have excellent isolation and measurements along with the desired sound, that said many DACs at the lower end (and can be applicable to more expensive ones) do not implement perfect USB isolation.
Just a thought, and it then opens up option to other DACs that have a great reputation.

Anyway one mid priced that seems to be great as both USB and traditional is the new Audiolab 8200DQ (John Westlake is the designer) that has multiple filter settings (this can be the best option when looking at DACs as it provides best versatility) and not just standard ESS ones to help with preferences.
As background John has done a lot of work designing their DAC around the ESS Sabre32 9018 chip and understands it very well.
For the price it is highly impressive, which should not be too surprising when you look at what budget products he has helped to develop such as the DACMagic and Peachtree Audio Nova - the Audiolab 8200DQ is a higher specification and design to these.

Anyway, it might still be a good idea to consider the USB-SPDIF bridge/converter for greater options, or at least it is an alternative solution if no USB interface DACs meet your preference.

Let us know how you get on
Thanks
Orb

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Orb-Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have ordered the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC that Bruce strongly recommended (I bought the black mastering version). This DAC also does DSD so that opens up another world of digital files I can play from my server. The problem is, word has gotten out on how good this DAC is and no one has them in stock. So now I’m waiting for my DAC to arrive.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well that is a good sign though :)
Look forward to your thoughts on it and hope you do not have to wait too long.
Cheers
Orb

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Orb-Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have ordered the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC that Bruce strongly recommended (I bought the black mastering version). This DAC also does DSD so that opens up another world of digital files I can play from my server. The problem is, word has gotten out on how good this DAC is and no one has them in stock. So now I’m waiting for my DAC to arrive.

What are you going to use to deliver DSD and PCM to the Mytek though? I noticed that it has neither IEEE1394 or USB inputs......

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-The version I'm looking at does have USB input and Firewire.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I just notice you considering DSD to a fileserver....
Is it possible to even rip DSD?
Appreciate it can be outputted from a player (some) but not heard of software to rip it, that said I am assuming it is not important for you anyway Mep but curious to know.

Cheers
Orb

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Orb-I won't be ripping DSD files to my server and playing them back. I will be downloading DSD files that are becoming more and more available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing