Daisy Chaining Shunyata Power Conditioners?

plan9

Nov 17, 2019
Given following constraints and components, what is the recommended power conditioning arrangement:

1. A single two outlet 15A duplex outlet on a non-dedicated line.
2. Six main components are: 1) DAC (with streaming card add in) 2) Digital Transport 3) QOL Signal Processor (analog) 4) Preamp w/ DSP 5) Stereo Amp 6) Subwoofer Amp
3. 3 infrequently used analog devices: 7) Turntable 8) Headphone Amp 9) Reel-to Reel Recorder
4. Own a Hydra 6 but was considering upgrading to a Denali S6000 v1 and keeping the Hydra 6 to house components 7 to 9. I currently have to unplug a component if I want to switch between 7, 8 and 9.

Options:

a. Buy a Denali S6000 v1and plug it into its own outlet with components 1-6 and plug the Hydra into its own outlet with components 7-9.
b. Buy a Denali S6000 v1 fill it with 5 components and daisy chain it with the Hydra 6 with the remaining 4 components (leaving one outlet open).
c. Buy a Denali S6000 v1 fill it with 5 components and daisy chain it with the Hydra 6 with the 3 components, plug one component (the stereo amp?) directly into the second outlet.
d. Sell the Hydra 6, buy a Triton v3 and plug eight components into it and the ninth directly into the second outlet.
e. something else

Option d is most expensive but partially offset by proceeds from Hydra sale and one less power cord to buy. Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
You'll be happier with a Triton v3. It's a very good and a better option than a-c. If you decide to go with a-c, my "guess" is c will be better, but you'll just have to try the options.

I assume you're in a apartment or something you can't install dedicated ac lines ....

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I agree with jfrech. I love the Tritons.

Given your situation, let me offer an additional suggestion:
Sell the Hydra 6. Get a Hydra Sigma S12 which gives you 12 outlets for less money than the Triton v3.
MSRP $5k vs $7k.

Try this experiment with whatever products/configuration you end up with:
Plug your stereo amp directly into the wall and compare that sound vs the amp into a conditioner. Choose dynamic passages of music and passages with nice tonality for comparison. Do the same experiment with the subwoofer amp.

Would not daisy chain power distributors off a single 15A outlet.

plan9

Nov 17, 2019
Thanks to all who posted, valuable insights from all. I will ponder this a bit.

I am leaning towards getting a 6000S v2 for my most used components since it appears to be at the top of the performance chart and keeping the Hydra 6 for my secondary components.

Am considering the Hydra Sigma 12 too, weighing the benefit of getting all of my current components (with 3 open plugs) on a single conditioner versus the likley performance deficit vs the 6000S v2.

Thanks again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing