Daniele Cohen from Alsyvox visits Rhapsody.Audio

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Bob.
I see that you sell Constellation. If you have had the opportunity to listen to the combo, what is the synergy between Alsyvox and Constellation Amplifier?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob.
I see that you sell Constellation. If you have had the opportunity to listen to the combo, what is the synergy between Alsyvox and Constellation Amplifier?

Hi Francisco, I have played the Tintoretto, which I currently have installed, with Botticelli Xs on the way, with both the Constellation Inspiration 1.0 integrated as well as the Centaur II amps and and the Pictor pre. Both drive the easy to drive 93db Tintoretto in my fairly large room.

The Pictor/Centaur II has more "growl" on the bottom end vs. the integrated, BUT we are going to driving the Botticelli X at Axpona (if it happens) with the Constellation Inspiration integrated. The only room that we could get at Axpona is one of the small rooms so the Constellation integrated will be plenty of power in this size room, especially with the probably oversized Botticelli X's being used in this room.

I find the overall sound of the Constellation on the is very neutral, very clear with exceptional transparency. Great 3D holographic soundstage, especially with the Pictor/Centaur II. Even though the Alsyvox are "easy to drive", they DO respond accordingly to power.

If I really want to "light up" the Alsyvox I throw on the Pilium Alexander preamp/Achilles stereo amp, although at a higher price point......mesmerizing.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: Esotar

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
I received some movies from Taiko Audio.

Alsyvox is the best ideal speakers for me.

Very amazing~!!!

I want to import Alsyvox, but they already have Korean dealer.

My next speakers will be Alsyvox Botticelli X I hope.

Rhapsody, congratulations for importing Alsyvox~!!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I received some movies from Taiko Audio.

Alsyvox is the best ideal speakers for me.

Very amazing~!!!

I want to import Alsyvox, but they already have Korean dealer.

My next speakers will be Alsyvox Botticelli X I hope.

Rhapsody, congratulations for importing Alsyvox~!!

Hi Esotar! Thank you. I hope you are able to get Botticelli X in the future. Rhapsody.Audio has our Botticelli X "on the way" in air transit at this time. Very much looking forward to the Botticelli X after happily living with the Tintoretto for the last year.

Keep safe and be well!

Bob

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Botticelli X's arrive at Rhapsody today. I am starting to run them in without the external Xovers so that I can hear and be able to accurately explain the difference between the Tintoretto and the non-external Xover version of the Botticellis.

There is a switch on the back of the speakers that allows to switch to internal or external Xovers. I will post detailed pics of that when I can get myself to stop listening.

20200402_105507.jpg
20200402_105818.jpg

20200402_114551.jpg 20200402_121444.jpg
20200402_152359.jpg

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Botticelli X starting to break in.....

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I bet it still sounds good in the next room, listening through the open doorway, with no line-of-sight to the speakers! All you can hear would be the reflected sound, and I bet it still sounds FAR more realistic than from "conventional" speakers. Imo this bodes EXTREMELY well for long-term fatigue-free listening, as it shows the ear isn't having to process spectral discrepancies between the first-arrival sound and the reverberant sound. So, I bet you can listen to the Alsyvox's all day long for three days (like at an audio show) with zero listening fatigue.

Wonderful thread and congratulations to Rhapsody for these speakers. I have been to the NYC showroom, and the sound there with other speakers was indeed impressive. I think I heard these Alysvox speakers at the NYC audio show years ago. They were extremely impressive.

Duke's comments above are excellent. These are all good indications of realism in my experience. I also agree with comment about less or zero listening fatigue. I have "conventional" speakers and have been listening to them from our dining room, through the open doorway and small front entrance hall, while my daughter and I put together custom wooden jigsaw puzzles during this stay at home order. The sound is very convincing, although it only became so, both within the room and from outside the room after I repositioned the speakers to face straight ahead, with zero toe-in. There is much more recording venue or hall ambience information now audible. It was an excellent suggestion from a fellow WBF member. The tweeters are about 5' out from the front wall. Listening position is 9'-3" from the tweeter.

I have little experience with panel or dipole speakers, but a friend has Martin Logans and has them toed in toward the listener with lots of open space behind each speaker, much more than the 1.5-2M suggested here. I do not have a sense of any backwave sound hitting the listener. I suspect they would sound quite different in a more conventional room with front corners, though I really don't know.

Reactions: Esotar

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
These are all good indications of realism. I have "conventional" speakers and have been listening to them from our dining room, through the open doorway and small front entrance hall, while my daughter and I put together custom wooden jigsaw puzzles during this stay at home order. The sound is very convincing, although it only became so, both within the room and from outside the room after I repositioned the speakers to face straight ahead, with zero toe-in. There is much more recording venue or hall ambience information now audible. It was an excellent suggestion from a fellow WBF member. The tweeters are about 5' out from the front wall. Listening position is 9'-3" from the tweeter.

I have little experience with panel or dipole speakers, but a friend has Martin Logans and has them toed in toward the listener with lots of open space behind each speaker, much more than the 1.5-2M suggested here. I do not have a sense of any backwave sound hitting the listener. I suspect they would sound quite different in a more conventional room with front corners, though I really don't know.

Hi Peter,

I HATE posting these videos as they don't even come close to what it sounds like in the room. The room is alive with the speakers and it does not come through on the videos for me.

I am only using the Samsung phone right now. I AM going to figure out which external mic set up to get, so the sound on the videos is better. Another project:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,

I HATE posting these videos as they don't even come close to what it sounds like in the room. The room is alive with the speakers and it does not come through on the videos for me.

I am only using the Samsung phone right now. I AM going to figure out which external mic set up to get, so the sound on the videos is better. Another project:)

That's good, but I haven't even watched this video yet. I remember the sound being excellent in your room and have fond memories of my visit to Rhapsody. Yes, I have held off making videos too, but I did get a fairly good Rhode? mic for my Nikon DSLR and may try it for fun during this lock down. Stay healthy down there in NYC.

Reactions: Rhapsody

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks for this...great reading. I was intrigued to read that the Boticelli woofer is equivalent in surface area of 2 x 15" woofers for each channel.

I then started reading more about Caravaggio, and on the website, I saw somewhere that it said 'single Caravaggio' or the double...which is the standalone bass panel. Is it true that one can have the Caravaggio single panels by themselves as full-range/near-full range...and then in the future buy the standalone bass panels as an upgrade?

https://alsyvox.com/products/
"Also a single panel version without the planar subwoofer is available (Caravaggio Single) and is upgradable in a second time to Caravaggio Full."

1. What is the frequency range of the just the single Caravaggio?
2. And if you get the 2 bass panels later, are they passively attached and driven by the same amp...or is it mandatory that one drives the bass panels with a separate amp?
3. What is the price of the Caravaggio single? And of the extra woofers?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Thanks for this...great reading. I was intrigued to read that the Boticelli woofer is equivalent in surface area of 2 x 15" woofers for each channel.

I then started reading more about Caravaggio, and on the website, I saw somewhere that it said 'single Caravaggio' or the double...which is the standalone bass panel. Is it true that one can have the Caravaggio single panels by themselves as full-range/near-full range...and then in the future buy the standalone bass panels as an upgrade?

https://alsyvox.com/products/
"Also a single panel version without the planar subwoofer is available (Caravaggio Single) and is upgradable in a second time to Caravaggio Full."

1. What is the frequency range of the just the single Caravaggio?
2. And if you get the 2 bass panels later, are they passively attached and driven by the same amp...or is it mandatory that one drives the bass panels with a separate amp?
3. What is the price of the Caravaggio single? And of the extra woofers?

Hi, great questions.

The Caravagio single goes down to 22Hz, the four panel goes to 20Hz.

You can bi-amp the four panel/Full Caravaggio although the Full four panel Caravaggio is 95db efficient and can be driven with one stereo amp or a set of mono amps. The single Caravaggio is 94db efficient.

The Single Caravaggio comes with two external Xovers (one per side), the Full Caravaggio comes with four external Xovers( two per side).

The cable connections from the external Xovers to the panels are included in the prices.

Caravaggio Single 4 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 2.03m high 176000€ per pair with 2 external passive crossovers Or in the US $176,000usd

Caravaggio Full 5 way dipole ribbon loudspeaker 2.03m high 280000€ per pair 4 panels with 4 external passive crossovers (4 panels) OR in the US $280,000usd

Upgrade* to Additional 2 subwoofer panels and 2 external 104000€ per pair Caravaggio Full passive crossovers OR $104,000usd

All prices include all shipping and import costs into the US as well as installation.

European shipping and installation must be discussed with the European dealer or Daniele Cohen at Alsyvox.

Any other questions just ask away.....

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
@LL21 we are planning to move to a new facility in the next few months where we’ll have a 140m2 (11.5*12.3*3.3 meter) listening room. We will very likely get a pair of Carvaggios for that space. You would be more then welcome to come over and check them out.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Rhapsody and Taiko,

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies! Yes, I think it would be great to hear the Caravaggios. And I am very intrigued that the 4 panels can be run by a single stereo such as the Mephisto which we are using now. I believe the 4-tower YG Acoustics Sonja XV 4-tower is the same which is unusual and very attractive from the standpoint of optionality and practicality.

In terms of placement, I am aware of some the guidelines for panels and have read here about the 1.5m distance from front wall etc. Another question on more specific placement of the sub panels:

Do they have to be side by side...or can the panels be placed with subs slightly behind and off to one side (like in the case of Genesis 1.2s, Wilson XLF/Sub or XVX/Sub or YG Sonja XV set ups...or do they have to right next to each other like we see with the Gryphon Pendragon and Kodo 4-towers?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yes you’d want some clearance behind them, 1.2 meter would be about the minimum and 4 meters about the maximum for best performance. You can offset them, that can actually be an advantage. They’re offset on the bottom photos on this page for example: https://alsyvox.com/gallery/

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I finally stopped being lazy and will now do any recordings with my Nikon vs. the Samsung cell. I have a good mic coming next week, but even the mic in the Nikon sounds a whole lot better than the Samsung.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes you’d want some clearance behind them, 1.2 meter would be about the minimum and 4 meters about the maximum for best performance. You can offset them, that can actually be an advantage. They’re offset on the bottom photos on this page for example: https://alsyvox.com/gallery/
Thank you! When you say 'offset'...if the space was a bit tight, would it be possible to have them offset, but perhaps the bass panel behind and 'slightly overlapped' from the listener's position? Or angled?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I finally stopped being lazy and will now do any recordings with my Nikon vs. the Samsung cell. I have a good mic coming next week, but even the mic in the Nikon sounds a whole lot better than the Samsung.

Great sound.

Reactions: Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing