Daniele Cohen from Alsyvox visits Rhapsody.Audio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah agree, it is why I bought those Wilson XS subs initially, 2*18” each in a huge enclosure, those went well below 20Hz without DSP.

Imho though you should consider these if you want truly state of the art bass. Even the Focal Utopias sound muddy, slow and dirty next to this. And the Rels and Velodynes did versus the Utopias. You can get massive bass, more then sufficient for movies, a heck of a lot cheaper.
Great insights as usual. When you say 'you should consider these'...did you mean consider the Wilson XS or consider the Caravaggio 2nd bass panels? While I do enjoy propulsive, deep bass for movies, i have to say, even the 1 Velodyne DD18+ i would not do without it for jazz, or the MTV Unplugged series, let alone larger scale orchestral or any of the soundtracks (Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Philip Glass, etc) where there is a mix or orchestra and electronic. There is just something about what happens to the soundstage when you turn it off.

In any event, its all academic until we can hear the 2 panel Caravaggio...looking forward to it! Thanks for all your patient comments and guidance.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
A little Sunday morning Botticelli X. The camera mic starts to roll off at 100Hz so you don't hear much bass, BUT ITS THERE IN THE ROOM. The Alsyvox are so much more than bass for me personally.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Or a 50 year old pop song:0)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Bob, that is fun music. I'd love to hear the 50 year old vinyl of that same track on the Vyger.

Are the Bayz speakers in their playing position, or would you need to move things around a bit? It might be fun to play the same track on both the Bayz and the Alysvox with the exact same camera angle, and not label the videos to allow us to hear the differences, virtually, without bias.

One can hope, while you are there, and we are here, for a virtual demo comparison from a skilled dealer. These videos are fun, and they are the best we have at the moment, perhaps for a while, until things open up again.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, that is fun music. I'd love to hear the 50 year old vinyl of that same track on the Vyger.

Are the Bayz speakers in their playing position, or would you need to move things around a bit? It might be fun to play the same track on both the Bayz and the Alysvox with the exact same camera angle, and not label the videos to allow us to hear the differences, virtually, without bias.

One can hope, while you are there, and we are here, for a virtual demo comparison from a skilled dealer. These videos are fun, and they are the best we have at the moment, perhaps for a while, until things open up again.

Hi Peter, Happy Sunday:)

I don't have that album on vinyl. It would be interesting to hear the comparison. I find that with these old rock/pop recordings that unless I run into a great pressing, the Qobuz usually sounds better to me. But of course not always, it depends on the pressing.

To be fair to the Bayz I MUST "dance" the 250lb Alsyvox and put the Bayz where the Alsyvox are.

Right now I have the Bayz, Alsyvox and the Roma Triode in less than ideal positions, but I can play any of them by just switching sp. cables in 1 minute.

I do this only because when I have visitors that are here for a brief time. I give them a "glimpse" of the sound of all three if desired and then if they are interested in one of the speakers, I move the other completely out of the way.

I'm so relaxed and enjoying the music I am having a hard time convincing my self to get up and dance with the speakers.....but maybe I will:)

Reactions: CKKeung and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Happy Sunday, Bob. You must view your listening room as a kind of refuge in NYC, now certainly, but I suspect in calmer times as well. I remember with great fondness walking through the doors on Park Avenue many years ago to enjoy the peaceful tranquility of my squash/backgammon/supper club and gaze upon the rushing traffic and the magnificent Seagram Building across the street from its splendid balcony. Those were the days. No ties on Sundays.

Enjoy your refuge in the city. I can imagine few nicer places. Thank you for sharing your videos.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Happy Sunday, Bob. You must view your listening room as a kind of refuge in NYC, now certainly, but I suspect in calmer times as well. I remember with great fondness walking through the doors on Park Avenue many years ago to enjoy the peaceful tranquility of my squash/backgammon/supper club and gaze upon the rushing traffic and the magnificent Seagram Building across the street from its splendid balcony. Those were the days. No ties on Sundays.

Enjoy your refuge in the city. I can imagine few nicer places. Thank you for sharing your videos.

Peter,

My "laboratory" is my refuge for sure. I'm a totally happy camper in the middle of the "war zone".

Just for you- jump over to the Bayz thread here. Same tune as with the Botticelli with the Counterpoint. It's impossible to make any judgement and the bass does not come across in the videos and the bass is so relevant to the performance. BUT it's fun:)

Bayz Counterpoint (same song) in this thread-

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...t-2-0-rhapsody-audio.30285/page-8#post-643319

Diesis Audio Roma Triode (same song) in this thread-

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/diesis-diople.27666/#post-623126

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
To top off the "discussion" I took the liberty to confirm with Daniele on some aspects of what I have been writing:
First of all the room is going to completely dominate bass performance and extension. With that said The Caravaggio is flat to 20Hz, 10Hz is ~18dB down. What you need for significant output at very low frequencies is just move massive amounts of air. Daniele has never managed to break a ribbon even with driving amplifiers into clipping.

From my POV:
With subwoofers, to get flat response down to 10Hz or even lower you really need EQ with lots of power. You need to drive a driver to large excursion working against the enclosure air volume. You could also design a port with say a 10Hz resonance. In case of planars there is no enclosure which probably makes a difference. My Rel subs only allowed to set a crossover point, so I would set these at a low frequency, reducing their upper bass response to get more relative low bass response. There may be some undisclosed EQ in them, likely is. The Velodynes allow you to apply EQ and even room correction, so you can get down there easier and they have steeper crossover slopes. The Wilson XS subwoofers are a bit of a different story having 2 18" woofers in a humongous enclosure with very low port tuning, those could really dig low without EQ boosting, from memory those would start rolling off at 18Hz naturally. I have a photo somewhere I will dig up to indicate their physical size.

Now this is all fun discussing, but I did not buy Alsyvox speakers for Bass performance. Having fond memories of having owned Apogee Full ranges in the past, I had placed myself on the waiting list for a refurbished pair of Full ranges from Henk van der Hoeven, who is the dutch Apogee restorer, after hearing a refurbished pair of Diva's in Paris around 6 months ago. The plan was to use these with the Wilson XS subwoofers as a fun system @home. Now this was going to be a multi year project but then the opportunity "fell into my lap" to acquire Alsyvox Botticellis (thank you Bob). Upon their arrival their Bass performance was a shocker and totally took me by surprise, a very nice surprise indeed. So meanwhile I have cancelled the Apogee Full range order and had my local dealer resell the Wilson XS subs.

Now what sparked this discussion for me was the idea of adding subs to the Caravaggio Single, you really do not need them, they are not going to add anything unless you go all out on huge subwoofer towers, my Rels / Velodynes do not even move close to the same amount of air as just the Botticellis do. With the very important caveat that in my 66m2 room their response is actually flat to 23Hz. I do completely appreciate separate powered subwoofers have the ability to EQ to adjust for room imposed deficiencies. I would personally not apply EQ to the Alsyvox panels as I would not want to compromise their transparency and speed but there's of course the option to do that if so desired. For that I would most definitely move to the Caravaggio though and power the subwoofer panels separately. And who knows I may end up doing that when we get them in house in our new room :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Alsyvox Tinttoretto/Kondo system installation completed today.

20200423_134921.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is a beautiful system! I saw that turntable up close at Bob's; very beautiful!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That is a beautiful system!

After two days of work with "Small Fry" (left) and 4 month old "Little Lady" (right of my leg) helping every second, when I finally put music on they both snuggled up with me and fell asleep. They knew the work was done:)
20200423_145143.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Small Fry, the Alabama surprise...nice to see that Mr. P and Small Fry have a new listening buddy.

Beautiful setup and what a fantastic spinner!!

Cheers,
ALF

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Small Fry, the Alabama surprise...nice to see that Mr. P and Small Fry have a new listening buddy.

Beautiful setup and what a fantastic spinner!!

Cheers,
ALF

Yes, SF is from Bama and Little Lady is from Oklahoma. I heard them barking at each other and it sounded like "Sooners" no "Bama":)

Reactions: ALF

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And after two days of work with "Small Fry" (left) and 4 month old "Little Lady" (right of my leg) helping every second, when I finally put music on they both snuggled up with me and fell asleep. They knew the work was done:)
View attachment 64353

I bet they did a lot of the heavy lifting!

Reactions: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
This is what this system sounds like with 20 minutes of turn on, out of the box......

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Out of curiosity, can Tintorettos also have external crossovers?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I think when this "nightmare" ends, I will have to take a trip to Holland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing