darTZeel NHB-108 Model 2 - The Best Stereo Amplifier In The World Just Got Way Better!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I should be visiting Hervé on the 24th to finally listen to this famous 108 model 2:p
I still want to know if this amp could drive my Thiel CS 3.7 otherwise the CH M1 stereo might be more appropriate in terms of power.

Wow, you are coming to Gva midweek? Zurich show is the weekend of Oct 27 and 28.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Wow, you are coming to Gva midweek? Zurich show is the weekend of Oct 27 and 28.

That's right we will drive to Gva oct 23 and meet Hervé oct 24, i never get to listen to Dartzeel gear at shows therefore this time i'm making a stop to Gva for this.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Good for you. I guess I am lucky then...so close to CH, Dartzeel, Goldmund, audio consulting, Tron, Manufacture le Son, Nagra, etc.
I am closest to Herve though.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Mine is apparently scheduled to get to Australia sometime in March... first time I’ve been excited about a system change for a while!
Good to see you on the forum Alistair! The new NHB-108 Model 2 is supposed to be considerably better than it's predecessor, so you're in for a treat. How are your Trio's sounding with your room treatments & new racks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Mine is apparently scheduled to get to Australia sometime in March... first time I’ve been excited about a system change for a while!

Alistair, will very much look forward to to hearing your thoughts on it after it arrives back from Hervé. Little wonder you’re excited, should be good.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great. What is the price of the upgrade?

4music

Apr 15, 2013
How long does it take to from ordered delivery for a new 108 mk II? 3 months?

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
Well it would be nice to know what speakers it could drive given how the first version had a reputation of running out of steam on many speakers.
The 108 model 2 has been out awhile now. Curious whether the new model is better able to drive a wider range of speakers? Would be especially grateful to hear about anyone’s experience with Magico M3’s.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
I heard a Dartzeel amplifier for the first time last weekend at The LA audio show. I’ve long been sensitive to something about SS amps that I perceive as harsh, fatiguing, and un-musical. Until now, the Gryphon Antileon was the only SS amp I had heard that I thought I could possibly live with. Having now heard the 108 model 2, I think I could live with it, too. Of course I might feel differently if I heard it in my system, in my room, but I heard warmth, richness, and tonal density without opacity, sluggishness or harshness. I was very impressed!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I heard a Dartzeel amplifier for the first time last weekend at The LA audio show. I’ve long been sensitive to something about SS amps that I perceive as harsh, fatiguing, and un-musical. Until now, the Gryphon Antileon was the only SS amp I had heard that I thought I could possibly live with. Having now heard the 108 model 2, I think I could live with it, too. Of course I might feel differently if I heard it in my system, in my room, but I heard warmth, richness, and tonal density without opacity, sluggishness or harshness. I was very impressed!
The very first time I walked into the Dart/EA room at T.H.E. Show many years ago I was immediately and forever smitten with what I heard. It was the 108 and 18NS and MM2's I believe. They had some form of a mini bass tower with no exposed drivers they were trying out. I was hooked and spent a lot of time there that weekend. This was long before I met Mike.
The equipment ticks all the boxes sonicly and I actually like the looks of the equipment and the speakers.
The "staff" running the room :p (didn't know who they were at the time) was very accommodating to me and my badgering. That has always stuck with me to this day.
I can see Dartz in my future, not to Mikes level but the brand is without question a first choice.
When I walked into the room my immediate thought was "Now that's what I'm talking about"

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
This weekend Herve will be at the Paris Hifi show with all of his gear including the 468 monoblocks.
I will be there saturday.:p

Reactions: asiufy

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Which are the differences between the NHB-108 Model 2 and CTH-8550 MK2?
Are they the same amp with a more elaborate PSU for the NHB-108 MK2 and lower class A bias for the CTH-8550 MK2 (apart from the included preamp), or there are more differences between both? (one pair of transistors per channel vs two, for example)

Also, assuming one has a pair of speakers that have an almost resistive 5-6 ohms impedance and do not rely on damping factor to obtain optimum bass control and authority, such as, for example, this:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/peak-consult-empress-loudspeaker-measurements

What sound differences can be expected between the CTH-8550 MK2 and NHB-108 Model 2+NHB-18NS under such conditions?

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well this landed yesterday. Wrapping my ears and brain around it still, but out of the box, it's fantastic. Versus Model 1 with SCNP, the bass is immediately noticeable as is the overall ease and openness. Timbral accuracy seems improved - things just sound more realistic and present; less reproduced. A triangle strike on Eric Clapton Unplugged spooked me. And without a doubt, the Model 2 definitely still has the instantly recognizable darTZeel DNA. Looking forward giving it a good workout in the coming week. But so far, so good!

PXL_20210402_202014544.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing