Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Reactions: Pokey77 and Bobvin

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Quite pertinent review!!
It's a pity that the internal photos of the 108 two are still the first generation photos
Even the Dartzeel official website is the same.
The 108 two balanced input has replaced the transformer with INV137 ic(AUDIO DIFFERENTIAL LINE RECEIVERS).
So Martin Colloms review is transformer version or inv137 version??

antelion

Feb 6, 2017
Interesting to learn that these use LDR technoloy. Did not know that about darTZeel.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
This, taken from the article, looked pretty convincing being labeled as a Model Two on the interior...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The 108 two balanced input has replaced the transformer with INV137 ic(AUDIO DIFFERENTIAL LINE RECEIVERS).
So Martin Colloms review is transformer version or inv137 version??

Well, that would be a very important point for many people and would make a lot of difference. Can you point us from where you got this information?

Mikeeo

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pan European
I have my eyes on this set of pre and stereo power but I wonder if the power amp is up to the task to deal with the few sub 3 ohm swings and tricky phase behavior of my Stradivari? Any input appreciated!

Mike

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have my eyes on this set of pre and stereo power but I wonder if the power amp is up to the task to deal with the few sub 3 ohm swings and tricky phase behavior of my Stradivari? Any input appreciated!

Mike

that answer to your question is likely yes. but maybe it might also depend on the size of your room, and the type of music you favor.

here is what Mr. Fremer wrote about your speaker in 2005;
Rated at 92dB efficiency, depending on the phase angle, this 4 ohm speaker shouldn't be difficult to drive. It sounded rich and lush with a brute of a solid-state amp in my room, and with a relatively low-powered tube amp in Italy. I'd stay away from soft-sounding cables and cartridges, but your tastes may vary.

the new 108 model two has a new circuit which does address tougher load speakers. and the output has been raised to 150 watts into 8 ohms, and 225 watts into 4 ohms.

my expectations is that it would be a superb match.

Reactions: Mikeeo and bazelio

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Mine too!
I did try the original 108/18NS combo on Sonus faber Amati Futuras, tougher loads than the Stradivari, and it was pretty good. I expect either the original combo or the mk2 ones to be an excellent match.

alex

Reactions: Mikeeo

Mikeeo

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pan European
that answer to your question is likely yes. but maybe it might also depend on the size of your room, and the type of music you favor.

here is what Mr. Fremer wrote about your speaker in 2005;

the new 108 model two has a new circuit which does address tougher load speakers. and the output has been raised to 150 watts into 8 ohms, and 225 watts into 4 ohms.

Thanks for the input Mike! Well we mostly play classical, jazz, 60-70 pop/rock more or less anything but mostly classical/jazz. We play classic preferable at concert level in an about 290 sq ft room. The amount watts may not be the most important due to the sensitive character of the Strads as l know some drive these with 22 W Airtight power amps. The issue is the lower freq up to lower mids which is directly heard if the amp can't handle load/phase requirements. Some can live with this, I can't! I used to have tube amplification on other speakers but decided to go solid state avoiding the hassle with tubes and to me only D'Agostino and DarTZeel so far managed to deliver to my interest. D'Agostino would for sure be able to deliver the 'power'. I toyed with the idea of driving the Strads with an integrated D'Agostino to keep units and cables down but I keep an open mind. I am fully focused on vinyl replay hence phono amp will be of biggest importance.
Problem is to get a proper demonstration and specially in my own system but I am working on it with HiFi dealer.

Mike

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Jason Victor Serinus will review the NHB-108 Model Two in the March 2022 issue of stereophile magazine. Therefore John Atkinson had the opportunity to test the actual preamp extensively. If anyone is interested in reading numbers, published february (now, that‘s in future ;)):

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing