DaveC's RMAF 2019 Picture Thread

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Aw shucks, Alex. I was so banking on you buying my pr of Zus if I upgrade to the new Definitions 6.

Ying yang, no happy Zu owners want YGs either. None can afford them either.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ying yang, no happy Zu owners want YGs either. None can afford them either.

Yep, ying yang indeed!
As long as the person is happy with what he has, we have a healthy hobby, and that's a good thing!

cheers,
Alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Absolutely Alex. My one experience of YG was 100% positive. Luckily the capitalist system will continue to find the profits in catering for endless tastes in this hobby.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Absolutely. You just have to see the amount of new brands that pop out of nowhere every year at the shows, Munich, Poland, etc. It's hard to keep track!
There'll always be the right gear for the right listener, the trick is finding it without spending a whole bunch of money along the way :D

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
As far as YG at RMAF they were a close 2nd behind AlsyVox and actually had a better overall setup and a more dialed demo system. Whoever did their setup did an excellent job, it was the best of the very large rooms and had few of the setup issues AlsyVox did. In fact, if you couldn't separate out room effects from system performance you may easily prefer YG, the tone was denser, bass was more extended and decay better controlled.

Also IMO YG and AlsyVox show a quantum leap in realism and overall performance vs everyone else at the show, many of which are grouped so close together it would be really hard to choose. But YG and AlsyVox were clearly on another level, it's great to see this kind of progress in high end audio! :)

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Dave, I've got no axe to grind re YG. I've heard them sound v fine in one system. But this PA quality criticism of Zu is not really true. I have mine sounding outstanding in lots of high end attributes. OT, so that's all I wanna say.

He's just mad because they make great cables too....

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
That's why this hobby is so fascinating. To me, the YG's detail and transparency are means of communicating emotion and musical enjoyment. And they're (more than) perfectly adequate at that.
As for the Zus, I wouldn't listen to one if given to me for free.
Again, the ol' "horses for courses", etc, and the reason why this hobby is so interesting. And just talking about these things in forums cannot really convey what the systems will do, as emotions are intrinsically very personal, and what might make one laugh, might make someone else cry.

I do have to hear them at your shop with the right amps. I trust Keith's and Ron's ears and they were both very impressed by what they heard at your shop.

Reactions: asiufy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ha! Jeffrey, owned those Zu Event cbls as well. There is a Zu thread for true believers/masochists, and I get a perverse pride from knowing Zu is as far from PA spkr as YG is, while being told the opposite is true.

I've had a much loved audiophile here who has a very impressive system, and my PA spkrs brought him to tears. Maybe he gets emotional when he hears over the tannoy at a sports game that his car is double parked.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I do have to hear them at your shop with the right amps. I trust Keith's and Ron's ears and they were both very impressed by what they heard at your shop.

Jeff,
You're very welcome to come and visit! I don't believe you've been to our current location, only to the La Jolla store, right?
Well, hope to see you soon!

cheers,
Alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing