DC cables? Your recommendations?

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
I own a Ferrum Hypsos power supply, which is pretty good.
I am looking for a replacement for it‘s dc cable.
A y-shaped cable to run both swisscom internet box and upcoming Taiko switch.
I would like to avoid Ferrum‘s dc cable splitter - more contacts, longer leads …

Ferrum has added Yatono dc cables from Japanese Brise brand to their certified products.
Has anybody tried Yatono dc cables?

Then there is Sablon. They offer a dc cable. Opinions, recommendations?
I do like Sablon power, usb and LAN cables a lot, might be a safe bet.

Ghent? Duelund wire? Many options.

Your recommendations?
Cheers & thx for your input!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Endagin, I would try Audio Sensibility in Canada. They have a range of relatively affordable DC cables I have heard good things about from a few of my clients. Good luck!

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I have a Nordost DC-cable, very happy with it:)

Reactions: engadin

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
I would like to avoid Ferrum‘s dc cable splitter - more contacts, longer leads …

Ferrum has added Yatono dc cables from Japanese Brise brand to their certified products.

Your recommendations?
I recently had Mark make me a set of DC cables for my field coil power supplies and they are built and perform beautifully. This is a position where I have found DC cables to be exposed one way or the other.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019

Your recommendations?
Hi engadin
If I’ve understood your proposal for a Y cable correctly I’m not sure I’d be connecting a Swisscom internet box and a Taiko switch to the same power supply. Before doing that, I’d try the following:

1. Swisscom box on the Ferrum Hypsos (FH) and the Taiko on its own supplied SMPS
2. Swisscom box on its own SMPS and the Taiko switch on the FH

I would imagine that both 1 & 2 would both sound better than sharing a single 0 and X volt PS output

NZS

Jan 27, 2023
Hello Engadin,
You have probably sorted this out but I found Sean Jacobs to be very helpful.
I came across a thread entry (a long read) on the Audiophile-style forum a while back about a highly recommended DC cable of his that may interest you, see part of it below as it's too long to post.
Nenon is the US contact.

I tried a pair of Mundorf Silver Gold DC cables (NMSGs) very kindly built and supplied by Nenon.

Nenon has already described in detail how his DC cables are built, which are essentially a JSSG360 screened twisted pair of Mundorf Silver Gold wires with Oyaide plugs to order. I have already described my system, but for completeness, it comprises a highly optimised network based on a dedicated 500Mbps 5GHz wi-fi band, Sean Jacob’s DC3s LPSs and Synergistic Research Atmosphere X ethernet cables throughout, feeding an Innuos Statement and Devialet 440 Expert Pro CI DAC and amps. The network is essentially ethernet cables with wi-fi isolation between the dedicated router and hi-fi room.
My system employs 4 DC3 LPSs, so 4 DC cables....DC3 to Modem and Router are Sean Jacob’s extremely competent twisted pair with ferrite filter while the DC3 to TPLink RE650 wi-fi receiver/ethernet and DC3 to AQVox SE were recently upgraded from Sean Jacob’s cables to a pair of Ghent Audio Neotech JSSG360 7N UPOCC cables. In its initial state with 4 SJ cables handling the network’s DC, my system sounded awesome....tick all the hi-fi boxes of extended shimmering tremble and deep mellifluous bass, soundstage based entirely on the recording venue and its ambient clues. There was nothing about the sound I didn’t like. PRaT was SOTA, timing was exquisite, detail sounded ‘complete’, clarity and purity were reference level and listener involvement was of the highest order. In other words there were no sonic problems to solve and the music was entirely thrilling or moving, depending on genre. Initially I also had a rather competent analog front end, but this digital system eventually trounced the analog set-up so thoroughly that it got traded, no longer worth the fuss and bother of playing LPs.
As I discuss these new DC cables, the first very valid question must be of course; ‘how much can 2 DC cables powering upstream network components actually affect sound quality?” Intuitively I and probably most of you would likely believe “not much”, but that is absolutely not my experience. In fact, “a great deal” is far closer to what I hear. Why? No idea, other than the fact that the digital stream is in fact modulated DC so any DC characteristics that do contribute to sound quality will likely make it through the stream, along with the timed bits.
So let’s discuss the NMSGs.
The cables are solid core, beautifully easy to form and hold their shape 100%. There is no springiness at all so its just a matter of smoothly bending them to fit the exact installation requirements, curving smoothly around other cables and orientating the plugs perfectly, with no strain. LIke all cables, I have noticed some running-in anomalies. I normally listen to my system at a volume setting of -14.5dB. With the new NMSGs I need to increase that to -9dB to achieve the same SPL. Some may say its lower noise and distortion that means I can listen louder, but that’s not what’s happening. I noticed exactly the same thing with the Neotechs...the missing 5dB returning after about 2 weeks of being constantly powered up. I also notice a slight attenuation of dynamics and perhaps slightly less treble shimmer and sparkle....I’m pretty certain that like the Neotechs, this will all return in due course.
Running-in deficits not withstanding, the NMSGs significantly outperformed the Neotechs although I can’t really report any typical audiophile improvements..... frequency extremes were already extended and rich in timbral detail, soundstage was, as mentioned, as big or small as what is on the recording, there is NO listening room identity, only the recorded venue and music is 3 dimensional, and sounds like its being played by the instruments....so from an Audiophile perspective, not much room for improvement. However there were some major improvements, just that they related entirely to the music rather than to its presentation.
The first thing you notice is that the music gains in finesse, inner detail, inner warmth, ease and ‘humanness’. Things like mouth and breath sounds became a lot more complex, detailed and real.
The music is mesmerising, almost hypnotically so, sending shivers of pleasure down your spine.
The harp in Andreas Vollenweider’s Cosmology sounded lively, vibrant and sparkling, with gorgeous decay, that extends down into complete silence....what makes this all the more amazing is that you can sense the silence even while other instruments are playing.
The system seems to have far greater, finely delineated spacial resolution, which makes the soundstage all the more engaging, precise (not etched) and clear, so you can easily follow 2 or more closely related instruments by virtue of their spacial differentiation. This is especially important when sounds differ markedly in amplitude....loud sounds don’t swamp quiet sounds because they are positioned differently in space so don’t interfere. When you increase spacial resolution you hear more low level detail and greater low level detail creates a greater feeling of reality as sounds are revealed that you would normally only hear live.
The soundstage itself is also affected. Lower noise and greater low level detail give the entire sound stage a presence, a shape, texture, dimensions, even when there are no instruments playing....the size and shape of the recording venue becomes easier to hear...there’s atmosphere and air ....space that has a presence...an ‘eyes closed’ illusion that you’re sitting listening in an entirely different space with no relation whatsoever to your room.
The music itself has greater bounce and buoyancy.....with more shape and body to the instruments. Instruments positions are very precisely defined in terms of depth and height within the soundstage. Again this makes individual instruments far clearer in the mix, without any analytical characteristics.
With the NMSG cables, the music has an inner glow and a richness. The music sounds like it is energising the venue....grand piano for example can have a beautiful percussive hammer strike, after which the music blooms out and expands to energise the room, before decaying according to how long the sustain pedal is held. Timbral detail (tone and texture) has always been excellent but with the NMSGs it now remains stable and present down to absolute silence. That soesn’t sound like a big deal, but it again makes things sound more realistic.
Rhythmic flow often feels like a strong undercurrent, subtle but powerful and irresistible, pulling you along with it. Instruments sound beautifully consolidated, woven together to form a glorious whole. Even when they’re only subtly involved in the mix, their contribution can be powerfully intoxicating.
Then there’s the music’s ability to generate feelings. We often speak about emotions, but this goes well beyond that as the feelings are unique to the music....the music changes how you feel, and how you feel changes how you hear the music.....amplifying its atmosphere and your reaction to it.
Take for example Malia’s Celestial Echo. Extremely atmospheric, extended bass with beautiful warmth, tremendous finesse....very pure, very precise, beautifully timed. The bass is round and bounces from note to note.Tomtoms ‘pop’ with dynamic accuracy, even when played quietly. The system creates acoustics that literally play with your mind, making you feel spaced out, because that’s precisely what you’re hearing and experiencing in your ‘head space’
In my system at least, the NMSG cables make the music live and breathe....they bring the music to life. Songs I wasn’t that fond of suddenly blow my mind with their detail, depth and presence. The spatial precision results in improved clarity, purity and the fundamental rightness of the sound. The music creates an atmosphere, which generates feelings that you ‘hear the music through’.
For example the music may make you feel spiritual and other worldly, so your feelings reinforce the music....which is why the listener involvement is so incredibly high....the music and your inner feelings become inextricably linked. I hope I’m explaining this clearly?

At some time I’ve got to stop upgrading my system and instead just enjoy fully what I have. I sense that time may be just around the corner. Nenon is kindly making 2 more cables for my Modem and Router. With the right recordings my system can already present the music in a way that rocks or moves every fibre of my being, takes over my consciousness and creates my mood. More than that I don’t need.
What I find truly amazing about this is that this final touch, the last step that convinces me that I’ve reached the place I want to be sonically, is brought about by 2 DC cables. Even I can sympathize with the objectivists who would poopoo such subjective nonsense....how do 2 DC cables add the atmosphere, the finesse and the beauty that I’m reporting here?
So 5 days in and 2 more cables on the way we’ll see where this leads...suffice to say, if you’re pursuing audio perfection and you’re able to solder competently, you should make at least one of Nenons NMSG cables. I’m pretty certain you’ll very much like what it brings.
Finally, to close this initial assessment a big thank you to Nenon who went to a lot of trouble to buy, build and ship these cables for me to try. They are certainly a surprisingly key component in reaching my own personal sonic nirvana.

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
@NZS : thank you!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Double Helix Cables made a custom (Prion 4/Compliment C15) DC umbilical for me to connect my Modwright modified sacd player with its separate power supply. It proved to be much better than the versions from Modwright, Audio Magic, and Wywires.

FYI:

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021

Your recommendations?
What better dc cable did you end up trying/buying? The FH cable needs to be a special 4 wire cable to be sure the sensing function is working (2 extra separate wires). When I contacted Audio Sensibility they where not willing to try that so I would be very interested to know if you found an alternative?

Last edited:

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
I always like some silver in my digital cables. digital data is so dense that I feel even a tiny bit of improved conductivity is a plus. I recently purchased an audio sensibility signature AES/EBU cable. Solid silver conductors and very nice Furman connectors and a custom stainless steel adapter to provide strain relief. I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice improvment from my DH Labs silver sonic which is very good cable.

Neither of these cables is very expensive.

Jerry

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
I didn’t end up …

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
I didn’t end up …
Thanks @engadin ...and too bad because:

It appears that the challenge lies in the specific connector used by Ferrum Hypsos DC cables, the WEIPU 4 pin connector, which requires a cable with a custom pin-out. Ferrum had shared the pinout with me and approved having it built by a professional, which should simplify the process.

It's interesting to know that the FH-provided DC cable utilizes Canare 4S6 Star Quad for that reason, and in my experience, it can be outperformed. When I contacted Audio Sensibility, they offered me to build an exclusive Audio Sensibility OEM cable produced by Neotech's parent company, featuring 16AWG OCC silver wire with a thinner white Teflon insulation, which they believe provides better performance due to minimized dielectric effects. But in the end they recommend to stick with the original since they were not familiar enough with the WEIPU connector and the effect of their custom DC cable on the FH remote sensing.

It's also worth noting that my DC cable preference for Mundorf SGW SilverGold wire was considered, but Audio Sensibility favored the Neotech OCC silver for its musicality. In my experience, a DC cable with MEIPO, Oyaide DC connectors, and Mundorf SGW wire largely surpasses the Canare 4S6, and it also outperforms my SR Orange fuse upgrade, offering significantly more gain in SQ.

But then again...in my case, with the Ferrum Hypsos placed further downstream, directly feeding an Antipodes server/player or an EtherRegen, the impact of DC cable upgrades is likely to be more pronounced compared to a setup where the Ferrum Hypsos is positioned further upstream, primarily responsible for powering an internet box. Obviously, this only serves as an illustrative example of how system configuration can significantly influence the perceived impact of DC cable upgrades, while my setup is not directly comparable to your setup with a Taiko Extreme or the multitude of NMSGs DC cables upgrade story above (I only have a few DC cables I can upgrade).

Ferrum Hypsos PSU - Linear/switching hybrid design - 4TSD Remote Sensing Design
(...) This feedback measures voltage on the output of the power supply and adjusts the voltage which is steering the output section to keep the voltage on the output steady. Now comes the main problem. Most of the power supplies measure the voltage directly on its output, so it’s able to precisely set the voltage on its output before the cable, not on the other side of it! If the cable has its own resistance, the voltage on the other side of the cable will not be regulated precisely (...)
https://ferrum.audio/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/White-paper-Ferrum-HYPSOS.pdf

https://ferrum.audio/hypsos/ FerrumHypsos-weipu_conn.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231021_152043924 (1).jpg
    PXL_20231021_152043924 (1).jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: engadin

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Thx a lot for your comment, Di-fi!

You must not forget Mundorf’s new Angelique wire, an amalgam of silver, gold, copper.
My SJ mini arc6 dc4 came with these cables, as they were preferred and recommended above Mundorf silver by the lps maker.

Current recommendations for my upcoming fritzbox router is to power it from a filtered output of my Taiko dc distributor, which will also feed Taiko router and Taiko switch, all powered by the SJ.
So the Hypsos most likely will no longer be needed.

I will of course … need another dc cable from dc distributor to Fritzbox ….

• Haha
Reactions: Di-fi

bodhifile

Nov 9, 2018
I had Dave Cahoon at ZenWave Audio build me a custom UPOCC silver DC cable for the Hypsos a couple of years ago actually. What it is connected to has a custom connector too though, so I have nothing to compare it to. It sounds great and Dave was a pleasure to work with.

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
Mundorf’s new Angelique wire, an amalgam of silver, gold, copper.
My SJ mini arc6 dc4 came with these cables, as they were preferred and recommended above Mundorf silver by the lps maker.

Current recommendations for my upcoming fritzbox router is to power it from a filtered output of my Taiko dc distributor, which will also feed Taiko router and Taiko switch, all powered by the SJ.
So the Hypsos most likely will no longer be needed.

I will of course … need another dc cable from dc distributor to Fritzbox ….
As far as I am aware, Taiko refrains from making cable recommendations.
@nenon , who promotes Mundorf SGW wire for his NMSGs DC cables, has a connection with Sean Jacobs. I'm interested in understanding whether the Angelique wire offers similar rigidity, depending on the gauge. Angelique seems like an excellent choice for building a 4-wire Ferrum Hypsos cable, and it's likely to be a more cost-effective option. Thank you!

Di-fi

Feb 17, 2021
I had Dave Cahoon at ZenWave Audio build me a custom UPOCC silver DC cable for the Hypsos a couple of years ago actually. What it is connected to has a custom connector too though, so I have nothing to compare it to. It sounds great and Dave was a pleasure to work with.
Thanks. Any chance you can share an image, please? I am not aware of any other connector compatible with the female WEIPU as shown above.
I am surprised your Hypsos did not even come with and original FH Canare 4S6 Star Quad for comparison?

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
As far as I am aware, Taiko refrains from making cable recommendations.
@nenon , who promotes Mundorf SGW wire for his NMSGs DC cables, has a connection with Sean Jacobs. I'm interested in understanding whether the Angelique wire offers similar rigidity, depending on the gauge. Angelique seems like an excellent choice for building a 4-wire Ferrum Hypsos cable, and it's likely to be a more cost-effective option. Thank you!

I quite like the Mundorf Angelique wire for DC cables. It sounds very good. It's a different flavor then the Mundorf silver/gold. I prefer the silver/gold in some places and the Angelique in others. It's a question of personal taste.

The Mundorf silver/gold is a softer wire and easier to bend. The Angelique is more stiff but you can easily bend it to shape and it stays the way you bend it.

Reactions: Di-fi

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
@nenon I use the angelique wire for analog signal path inside an amp. I have had good improvement changing it out. A great wire developed by actual testing.

I haven't tried it for digital. Have you compared it to silver or silver plated? I have plenty and could make up an AES/EBU cable and do some testing myself.

thanks.

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
@nenon I use the angelique wire for analog signal path inside an amp. I have had good improvement changing it out. A great wire developed by actual testing.

I haven't tried it for digital. Have you compared it to silver or silver plated? I have plenty and could make up an AES/EBU cable and do some testing myself.

thanks.
It's a very good option indeed. It's even good for speaker internal wiring.

I haven't tried it for digital signal, but I prefer it for DC cables over other silver and silver plated wires. In fact, I never liked pure silver wire for DC cables. Even when my system was almost exclusively wired with silver cables, I did not like silver DC cables. The Mundorf silver/gold and angelique are my go to for DC cables.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing