DCS Bartok DAC

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I had the pleasure earlier today of attending a DCS/dealer demo of the new Bartok Dac which is available with or without a headphone amp.
The model without the headphone amp will retail for about £10k.
It was partnered with the newly introduced Rossini CD/SACD Transport, AR 160 monoblock amps, Wilson Alexia 2s, Shunyata Denali and top of the range Transparent Reference cabling. Connected direct to the power amps so no preamp.
Roon ready and Ethernet streaming of all the usual sites such as Tidal and can perform full MQA decoding and rendering.. Network interface currently runs at up to 24 bit 384kS/s and DSD 128, supporting all major codecs, plus DSD in DoP format and native DSD. Basically a trickled down Rossini at a more affordable price.
Music was played from an NAS and the Rossini transport including an SACD disc.
Obviously top class supporting components to demonstrate it at its best and the sound was very good indeed across all formats. As with all of the DCS range that distinct analogue character to the sound and top class transparency without the what I find the somewhat soulless character I hear from a number of other DACs/transports.
Sacd and MQA tracks sounded particularly good. It's a little while since I last heard a Rossini player and my first proper listen to the Rossini transport so a bit difficult to compare ,but on the basis of about an hour's listening I thought it sounded very good, particularly at the price. Clearly the rest of the system used will have played a significant role but there was no indication whatsoever that the Bartok was struggling to justify its place in the system.
Should be on sale in the UK at the end of the month and I imagine elsewhere about the same time.
IMHO anybody looking for a new DAC should audition it.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I believe this model will be of benefit for DCS playing on trickle down technology and a price point able to reach more clientele.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for reporting !

caesar

May 30, 2010
Interesting product. I wonder how many current Debussy owners will be upgrading to this or whether they will jump to the rossini. Or is this mostly to bring in new souls into dCS?

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Interesting product. I wonder how many current Debussy owners will be upgrading to this or whether they will jump to the rossini. Or is this mostly to bring in new souls into dCS?
I would think the majority would be more as a gateway into passage for new souls

caesar

May 30, 2010
I would think the majority would be more as a gateway into passage for new souls

Thanks. I see the Brinkmann Nyquist in your signature. Congrats! What else did you listen to before pulling the trigger, and how's it different? Did you compare to dCS? Thanks

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

An interesting choice would be between the Bartok and a DCS clock and a Rossini DAC. I suspect there would not be a lot to choose between them as adding a clock makes a real difference to DCS gear.

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
I recently purchased a Rossini DAC and master clock. I owned a Debussy and clock about 5yrs ago. Moved on to emm labs dac2x then emlabs da2. Now back with dcs. I am very happy with the Rossini. I am certain the Debussy replacement is great. The price difference between Rossini and Bartok (what I paid) wasn’t great enough to sway me.
One thing I know for CERTAINTY, is nothing is future proof! ??

Reactions: Lee and Barry2013

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
dCS just relaesed firmware v2.0 for Rossini DACs. I’ve done the upgrade but haven’t had time to audition the changes. A couple new filters and new mapping algorithm through the Ring DAC. Old mapping is possible to select, so those inclined to compare can do that.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have only heard it on Grado PS1000 headphones at hifibuys but I was very impressed with the quality of sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing