dCS Scarlatti software update and firewire vs dual AES

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Would you put the Totaldac in there as well?

No, I didn't even had a chance to compare my old Scarlatti to the Trinity, as I sold my Scarlatti for the MSB, and then MSB for the Trinity.

I wonder how much of the reported improvement between the Vivaldi and Scarlatti comes from the Dual AES cables ? Maybe you are already half way there ?

Anyway, I'm always reading all your posts with great interest, and now looking forward for your Scarlatti vs Vivaldi assesment.

If my budget was twice as big and I had more SACDs than the odd 20 I have, I would seriously consider the Vivaldi. In fact, a friend of mine had chosen the Scarlatti over the MSB Diamond (that I felt was superior on RedBook) for its SACD capabilities, and had just recently upgraded to the Vivaldi. The Vivaldi sounds glorious.

Vivaldi, MSB Diamond or the Trinity - you can't really go wrong with any of those DACs.

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
I updated my dCS Scarlatti dac and trans software. This allowed me to swap my Audioquest Diamond firewire with Dual AES Transparent Ref XL digital cables. This new software allows all sample rates and DSD via Dual AES via something now in the Scarlatti menu called "Vivaldi mode"

The Transparent digital cables need 200 hours to break in...I have about 18 hours. But holy smokes is this a BIG improvement. I feel like I got a new DAC or something...will post more as the cables break in...but Dual AES is clearly the better path for dCS Scarlatti owners vs the firewire interface.

If you're a dCS owner...using firewire...you really should call your dealer...get the new software...and Dual AES cables and be ready to smile.

Thanks for the tip. I did the software update today and was surprised at the improvement sending upsampled DSD from the upsampler to the DAC via dual AES compared to 1394 (FireWire). I am using several year old Illuminati AES cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing