microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Also, also, I've heard Room doesn't sound as good as Minimserver and a good NAS drive. This comes from a close friend who has it and dCS Vivaldi...he does however say the gap is small and the interface is terrific...

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have the latest Java 8 update and minimserver running on my 716+ with no issue. Also, never had to rescan before to get new music to appear. Using this for my Rossini, but figure it's the same interface overall.

ct545i

Nov 24, 2015
Also, also, I've heard Room doesn't sound as good as Minimserver and a good NAS drive. This comes from a close friend who has it and dCS Vivaldi...he does however say the gap is small and the interface is terrific...

A side note: as great as dCS Vivaldi's network playback is, dCS Vivaldi transport still sounds better, at least in my setup.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
A side note: as great as dCS Vivaldi's network playback is, dCS Vivaldi transport still sounds better, at least in my setup.

Agreed. I'm smitten over redbook playback with the new upsampler update.

ct545i

Nov 24, 2015

I agree as well, the upsampler update to 2.0 Plus improved redbook playback by not a thin margin. It was a surprise to me. The update was very well worth the cost.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, redbook is now sounding fantastic, and the upsampler adds to the feast! Old inexpensive CDs of little known labels become really enjoyable.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Also, doesn't Roon still lack DSD capability?

No, it supports DSD just fine. It can also convert to PCM if needed.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I couldn't imagine a better piece of software for classical music as that's where it truly shines imo.

What version and release are you using? You are the first person I find that is not complaining about handling of tags in classical ... Even the Roon people acknowledged it in forums.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I was considering installing Roon in a dedicated NAS , as explained here: http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What version and release are you using? You are the first person I find that is not complaining about handling of tags in classical ... Even the Roon people acknowledged it in forums.

Oh sure it's not perfect, but what other software understands what tracks are movements - effectively children of a parent piece? Also, presents when it was recorded, released, etc.

You can mix in your own tags/sub-genres etc to effectively navigate your collection as well, it's very powerful.

Your needs/requirements might be different enough from mine, but I'm pretty thrilled with it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
We have Roon with a QNAP here, and it runs OK, same as on a computer I guess. With a computer+NAS, you'll have a lot of network traffic for the files, while with the NAS, file acess should be faster...

I found out the Roon's database is lacking in depth, and not only for classical. Several CDs that I own and that I've ripped (and properly tagged) Roon simply won't recognize. So, in the case of the classical pieces, it won't put the tracks for individual movements together for each piece, and it won't recognize the album as a "performance", which is a great benefit of Roon...

With time, they'll eventually get around to it, and have a more compreensive database of albums... Right now, it's fairly amazing as it is.

cheers,
alex

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have a SSD on the way to give roon a try via my Synology setup. For the Rossini I have a preference for the Network interface over the USB/Aurender N100H, but the stock DCS app is a terrible GUI for music playback. I currently have the Lumin app running for interfacing with the Rossini, which is much better but cannot get Tidal working.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) So, in the case of the classical pieces, it won't put the tracks for individual movements together for each piece, and it won't recognize the album as a "performance", which is a great benefit of Roon... (...)

Thanks, you saving me a lot of time to evaluate Roon - for me these aspects made it useless for almost 80% of my recordings.

How well does JRiver manage classical libraries in these aspects?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, you saving me a lot of time to evaluate Roon - for me these aspects made it useless for almost 80% of my recordings.

How well does JRiver manage classical libraries in these aspects?

microstrip,

That bit you quoted referred only to the albums Roon *won't* recognize, even if they were properly tagged by me. If the Roon DB doesn't have the album, you will see the proper information that's on the tag/metadata, but Roon won't do the grouping and indexing like I said above.

And, as I said, Roon's database is far from complete, so chances are some of your albums won't be in the DB, and thus you won't have your collection 100% indexed...

I still think it's worth a trial, specially since JRiver is such an ugly, antiquated piece of software/UI.

number95

May 14, 2014
Just ordered Vivaldi clock. Although my Vivaldi transport and DAC perform quite well, once stepped into Vivaldi I presume better clocking is essential for optimum. For an analog listening guy like me, Vivaldi takes digital to new highs as I have never experienced from digital before especially for digital recordings. I am almost indifferent whether to play vinyl or spin disc, that said analog recordings still make me switching to analog. Perhaps clock may reduce/close that gap further.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just ordered Vivaldi clock. Although my Vivaldi transport and DAC perform quite well, once stepped into Vivaldi I presume better clocking is essential for optimum. For an analog listening guy like me, Vivaldi takes digital to new highs as I have never experienced from digital before especially for digital recordings. I am almost indifferent whether to play vinyl or spin disc, that said analog recordings still make me switching to analog. Perhaps clock may reduce/close that gap further.

Congrats ! You'll enjoy the clock add on. It's not subtle ... and yes that gap closes more...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing