Deadwood: The Movie (2019) | Official Trailer | HBO

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Watched it last night as well.... It was alright. Nothing to write home about. I guess the cliffhangers at the end allow for sequels???

Reactions: rockitman

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Watched it last night as well.... It was alright. Nothing to write home about. I guess the cliffhangers at the end allow for sequels???

They'd be crazy IMO to make a sequel of that movie

IMO Deadwood's 3 seasons defined what westerns were all about. I anticipated big things for the movie and all we saw were several cameos a bunch of dialog and as drikus said very little action and then it was over

Besides how could you make a sequel without Al Swearangen

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I think they waited too long. 14 years since the series ended and as much as I enjoyed the series I found the movie lacking.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Have to disagree with you guys. I think they did a great job fitting all they could into a two hour movie. Sure I wish they could have had an entire season or at least a 6 hour moon series to finish it up. In the end Bullock was Bullock, Swearengen was Swearengen, Trixie was Trixie and Hearst was Hearst. Due to the time constraints everyone else was just filler.

Steve Williams

Actually this would have been better as a short miniseries.

The fact that they were all them selves only served as memories

I expected Swearangen to go out in a totally different way. So he had cirrhosis .OK.

Big deal

I was hoping for something better such as ending up in Wu's pig pen or diving out of one of the upstairs brothel windows only to die of a broken neck

I was underwhelmed

I do have a quick question that I cannot remember from the series.

Seth Bullock and Alma Garrett had an affair before his wife arrived in Deadwood with his nephew (adoptive son of his dead brother ) as well as their own daughter BUT was Alma's 10 yo daughter (who BTW looked liked she was easily twice that age) Sophia, Seth's daughter from that affair

Of the entire cast they all looked like they did in 2006 except for Sol who seemed to have aged the most

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
No, Sofia was not their daughter. She was the sole survivor of an Norwegian family who were attacked leaving the camp on their way back home by so called indians but was in fact a robbery by Swearengen's men, remember?

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Great idea! I'll rip my DVD's and follow your lead.

Deadwood - Ultimate Collection- Season 1-3 [DVD].jpg

When I was looking for the DVD's on my attic I came across this Series, forgot I had it and this will be next. If you haven't seen this, I can strongly recommend it.

The Pillars Of The Earth and World Without End [DVD].jpg

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I thought it was good and nostalgic, not exceptional. Probably better than the GOT finale. I found the first hour slow (and thought the flashbacks were excellent for my bad memory!), but after Uncle Charlie was killed it sped up. The mob scene with Hearst was truly frightening while Bullock stayed watching until he met his wife's eyes.

Steve Williams

Great idea! I'll rip my DVD's and follow your lead.

View attachment 53441

When I was looking for the DVD's on my attic I came across this Series, forgot I had it and this will be next. If you haven't seen this, I can strongly recommend it.

View attachment 53442
I read the book by Ken Follett. I also saw the miniseries. The book was much better and one of the best books I ever read.

The sequel World Without End was also fabulous read

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve, I agree I have read all three books in the Knightsbridge series and they are excellent reads. The Century Trilogy was also a compelling read.

Steve Williams

Steve, I agree I have read all three books in the Knightsbridge series and they are excellent reads. The Century Trilogy was also a compelling read.
I read the century trilogy as well. I preferred the Knightsbridge series

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Agree it was a disappointment, especially the crazy dialogue that I had to try and decipher and make sense of.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Agree it was a disappointment, especially the crazy dialogue that I had to try and decipher and make sense of.
The dialogue was pretty much the same as it was in the first three seasons of the series. Kudo's to the actors for being able to deliver Milch's lines. The sound mixing may not have been the best. I know a couple of people who turned on closed captioning to help in understanding what they were saying.

Steve Williams

The dialogue was pretty much the same as it was in the first three seasons of the series. Kudo's to the actors for being able to deliver Milch's lines. The sound mixing may not have been the best. I know a couple of people who turned on closed captioning to help in understanding what they were saying.

Their dialog was the English spoken in those days. To me they sounded like Yoda talking with the object of the sentence before the subject

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing