decide between psaudio p10 vs accuphase ps520 or others

beaux

Jun 12, 2017
Hello WBF members and good evening to you,

I decide to buy a power conditioner. I don't have much knowledge about the design, but I do know different companies have different approaches to suppress distortions.

I can hear audible difference between my system in the day and late at night. The difference is I can hear more detail and better stereo-imaging late at night (It is not because of the noisy environment. My apartment is deadly quiet all day.) I am not sure if I can make my system sounds in the day as good as late at night by using a power conditioner. I am deciding between psaudio p10 and accuphase ps520. My system is bryston bdp2, weiss dac202, manley neoclass 300b, stax 727, hd800/stax009 (headphones). I plan to plug all units in the power conditioner. I saw lots of systems in audio shows use psaudio p5/p10. It seems psaudio has a good reputation in this community. However, I can hardly see accuphase power conditioner users in the US. I get this recommendation from my Chinese friends. Anyone has experiences on them ? Other choices are welcomed. My budget is no more than USD5,000.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
P-10 is very popular in Hong Kong. It is powerful and the sound neutral and allrounded. The price is very reasonable. However about one third of my P10 owner friends have experienced machine problems/breakdown and had to send them back to dealer for repair. Not sure whether this is due to the high local temp & humidity or that it is due to our 230V input version.

All Accuphase products are made in Japan. Extremely reliable. There is a newer PS530 launched recently.
However 520/530 seems barely powerful enough to support all your gears.
Also, please note that the Accuphase powersupply products interestingly have the Accuphase house-sound (sweetness/golden glow) too. Is it your cup of tea?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Sir,

I live in Bangkok a city that has such polluted electricity. In addition, my system is on the third floor of my office building where there are at least sixty computers use during daytime. I have no experience with either products you mentioned. To share my experience with power con, I have spent an obscene amount of money tackling dirty power problem. Aside from having dedicated lines, I have used, to name a few, Taurus Power 45amp, Line Backer XE and most expensive of all power conditioners, the Trinity Reference power cond. I would say all these power cons gave excellent dynamics and quiet background noise. Trinity being the quietest of all, indeed spookingly quiet. However, they all have their own flavors either adding or substracting something from the sound. To me and within my system, they dont sound natural. What I found excellent is just a plain and simple Siltech Octopus Double Crown distributor which cost me around $5,000. The tonality, size and scale of sound stage, imaging, dynamics I get from the Octopus are what I perceive to be close to real to me.

I also think crazy expensive power con like the Line Backer and the Trinity are suitable for digitals and solid stage. They work extremely well with my friends system that is digital and solid stage base.

People will tell you "this and that" from their experience and in good faith. I picked a lot more wrongs than rights. Its been a fun journey. I wish you best picking the winner to your ears at the lowest cost.

Best regards,
Tang

beaux

Jun 12, 2017
Dear CKKeung, Tango
Thanks for your opinions. That's really help a lot. I agree there are some adding and subtracting going on. The psaudio p10 has a good price in the US. However, the accuphase's is far more expansive than I imagine.....

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Beaux,
If your home voltage doesn't not drop or fluctuate too much, please listen to the Shunyata Denali 6000.
It's not a regenerator but IMHO it's the best-buy of the filter type of conditioners!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I don't need power cond.

But in italy are talking very well of

www.gigawatt.eu

You can check

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing