Deciding between 260, 360 s2, 250 or 360 s1...help a brother out!

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Hello all. I am finally ready to move to the amp I have wanted for some time and now the choice is proving to be trickier than I expected! There is not too much out there on these amps and no dealer close by so I need to rely on some input and gut feeling for this.

My speakers are Wilslon Maxx 2, cables are MIT Oracle Matrix 50 ic and Matrix 90 speaker. I am pretty sure that any of the amps in consideration will drive them just fine but not sure which would be the best route. I am planning to buy used and have gone back and forth between 250, 360 series 1, 260 or 360 series 2. How did you guys choose?! Availability may be a big influence as they do not come up that often but I am patient and would want the best sound first.

The 260 is the latest so I wonder if it is the best sounding? The 360 s2 are most powerful and cost more but do they sound better? Will the series 1 give me close to s2 performance? Will the 250 sound close in performance to the 260? I am finding these questions very hard to answer!

I placed a wanted ad on Audiogon yesterday and while I was writing it realized that I may just be happy with any of those 4 options. Any input from you experienced Spectral guys would be greatly appreciated. Even this forum, which is the only Spectral board I have come across, has little information.:(

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There are reviews here on the 360s2 and comparisons to the 250, as well as thoughts on the 260. Personally, I would easily go with the newer models as the older are more hi-fi than real music, though still very nice. It would Then depend on how much money you want to spend.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi 1rsw,

In my experience and for my tastes, I have kept the DMA 100, the DMA 80M, and the DMA 360 series 2. Ack sums up my sentiments on the 250 and 360 series 1 very well in one sentence.

I have not heard the 260.

If space and costs are not issues, I would pick the 360 series 2. In my experience, to really hear the capabilities of the 360 series 2, you should at least use the MIT Oracle AC-2 power cords. If not, I would take my chances with the 260 and will not hesitate to experiment with an MIT Oracle AC-2 power cord on it.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Wilson used a 260 at the recent Hi End Show in Munich, reportedly one of the best sounding rooms at the show:

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Guys thanks so much for the input so far. I have read through most of the forum and all the reviews and think I have narrowed it down to the 260 or 360 s2. Some does depend on availability, as I mentioned before, but they do come up from time to time so I just need to continue to be patient. From what I gather, some find the 260 to be a better amp than even the more powerful series 2 mono's which makes it almost a coin toss. We used to have a Spectral dealer here in town and boy I miss those days!

To the comments on the AC2, I have owned several AC1's, and other MIT power conditioners over the years. Although I do think they can be effective tools, I did not like them on amplifiers. I always thought they sounded great at first but over time would notice some compression as well as muting on higher frequency. They claim there is no current limiting but it sure sounded like there was to a degree. I do use some of the non network Oracle ZIII's as well as Acoustic Revive Power Reference (which I prefer). I have plugged my DMA 180 into an Acoustic Revive RTP Ultimate to better results than MIT's correction devices (to my ears of course). I also use a few Bybee networked power cables which are pretty darn nice. I've considered giving the Bybee conditioner a go. Other than those products, I do not like power conditioners, especially on amplifiers. I've tried many and all seem to bring too much negative to the party.

Reactions: junerpp

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi 1rsw,

Good luck on your "hunt" for a Spectral amp. Your choices are both excellent.

If I may inquire, where do you reside?

From my experience, the AC 1 does not do much but I never experienced the effects you mentioned. In my set-up, the AC 1s are used together with the MIT stabiliizer and AC 2 for power amps, and with the MIT isolator and AC 2 for all front end sources.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Hi 1rsw,

Good luck on your "hunt" for a Spectral amp. Your choices are both excellent.

If I may inquire, where do you reside?

From my experience, the AC 1 does not do much but I never experienced the effects you mentioned. In my set-up, the AC 1s are used together with the MIT stabiliizer and AC 2 for power amps, and with the MIT isolator and AC 2 for all front end sources.

Thanks for the supportive words! I'm in Columbus, Ohio. Progressive Audio used to be a big Spectral dealer but has not had the line for several years now.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for the supportive words! I'm in Columbus, Ohio. Progressive Audio used to be a big Spectral dealer but has not had the line for several years now.

Call other Spectral dealers because I think they may be willing to ship to you, if it's in their territory. Just thinking out loud - I can't believe anyone between the East and West coasts has been left with no coverage.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Call other Spectral dealers because I think they may be willing to ship to you, if it's in their territory. Just thinking out loud - I can't believe anyone between the East and West coasts has been left with no coverage.

Thanks Ack. I do plan on calling a few, Goodwins and Overture are the ones I know off hand. Not much hope that they will have 360 s2 or 260 on hand pre-owned though. I am not in the position to buy new:mad:. Audiogon is the likeliest source. I just missed a set of 360 s2 a couple days ago (the ad is still up taunting me!) and there was another about a month ago. Eventually, something will show up. If any of you folks run across something feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks again for all the input.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah my suggestion was if you wanted to audition at home, in order to purchase new. Don't waste their time otherwise. There have been a couple used on the market the last year or so, no 260s that I have seen...

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Just a thought, if you can afford the 360 S2 monos used, you can afford a new 260. I guess it may come down to the power output you need or desire.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I believe that's the pair he said he missed on, the other day... although they show as available, I believe they have been sold

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I believe that's the pair he said he missed on, the other day... although they show as available, I believe they have been sold

Ack this is correct. I had tried to purchase them when he first listed but could not reach him. I finally did when he sold the preamp he had packaged with it but the amps were sold just prior. I also missed a 260 about a month ago. Many thanks for the help guys!!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There are two new threads, as you may have seen, by Steve and Mobiusman indicating that the 360 Series 2's may have just been re-released, based on the new SHHA modules found in the 260. I would call around the dealers to see if they'll be unloading their demos; that'll will also give you warranty.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Thanks so much for all your insightful comments and suggestions. I did get a response to my want ad on Audiogon and am in the process of getting a pair of series 1 360's. I still plan to work toward a 260 or series 2 360's but this is a nice move from my DMA 180 series 1. I imagine the series 1 is going to get me much closer in sound to the current models, just not quite their. I'm cool not having the latest greatest and have always found the moves up in Spectral series subtle (yes, I know I may get crushed for saying that). I am also moving from my Maxx 2 to Sasha's so it will be Berkeley Alpha USB to Berkeley Alpha DAC to DMA 360 series 1 to Sasha's. Cables are MIT Oracle Matrix 50 ic and Matrix 90 speaker with Acoustic Revive power products. For a short time I will also have a pair of Linn Klimax 500 Solo's I will be able to compare to the Spectral's which should be an interesting exercise.

Thanks again and I look forward to hanging around here. This is a unique place on the web for Spectral lovers (or hater's I suppose!). Also seems to be some good folks which is nice.

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
Thanks so much for all your insightful comments and suggestions. I did get a response to my want ad on Audiogon and am in the process of getting a pair of series 1 360's. I still plan to work toward a 260 or series 2 360's but this is a nice move from my DMA 180 series 1. I imagine the series 1 is going to get me much closer in sound to the current models, just not quite their. I'm cool not having the latest greatest and have always found the moves up in Spectral series subtle (yes, I know I may get crushed for saying that). I am also moving from my Maxx 2 to Sasha's so it will be Berkeley Alpha USB to Berkeley Alpha DAC to DMA 360 series 1 to Sasha's. Cables are MIT Oracle Matrix 50 ic and Matrix 90 speaker with Acoustic Revive power products. For a short time I will also have a pair of Linn Klimax 500 Solo's I will be able to compare to the Spectral's which should be an interesting exercise.

Thanks again and I look forward to hanging around here. This is a unique place on the web for Spectral lovers (or hater's I suppose!). Also seems to be some good folks which is nice.
I am considering either DMA 260 or 360 S2. Other than power, do you think there is much difference in sound quality? Can they play nice with a non-Spectral preamp?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Depends on your room size and speaker sensitivity. Mono amps hold an advantage if you have the space. I have had the DMA-260 for some time, perhaps 11 years now. I purchased the Amp when it was first introduced.

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
Depends on your room size and speaker sensitivity. Mono amps hold an advantage if you have the space. I have had the DMA-260 for some time, perhaps 11 years now. I purchased the Amp when it was first introduced.
I have Soundlab ESL speakers (86 db) and a tiny room 10x11 ft.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing