Dedicated AC Line For Hi-Fi Setup

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I am using a dedicated line for my setup for more than 15 years. it makes a significant improvement over a wall receptacle. I tried lost of different cables and figured out a couple of things:
  • it has to be made of solid cores
  • it should be uninterrupted from electric meter to audio system
  • there should be only one fuse (right after the meter)
  • it should be made of good quality copper.
  • area of the conductors should be at least 2.5 square mm for 220V and 4 square mm for 110V
  • finally a good grounding is a must
these are my observations but they may not be right for everybody.

recently I came across Oyaide 102 SSC EE / F-S 2.6 in wall cable at a hi-fi dealer.

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/power_cord/pg466.html
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/12/oyaide-102-ssc-copper-cable-new.html

it has 3x5.3 square mm (2.6mm) solid cores with copper shield. I was very happy with 15 years burned in Pirelli cable but it wasn’t made for hi-fi by a hi-fi company. so I thought I should give it a try and bought that Oyaide cable.
I am really impressed by build quality. copper wires have shiny smooth surfaces and a color like gold.
it needs a lot of time to burn in but better bass control and smooth presentation are immediately noticeable over Pirelli cable which is very very good.
for quick burn in newly installed Oyaide AC line is arranged to the back of the refrigerator. after a while I will rearrange it to back of my audio system and hopefully I will get a better sound. now I’m just getting better refrigeration :)

Attachments

• IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 20

GertSterlingSilver

Aug 13, 2016
How would one ensure good surface area connection between the wire and terminals when using a solid core wire?
Stranded wire conforms better to whatever shape it's terminated in surely.
What about skin effect? There's less surface are on a single wire than there is in multi-stranded wires, how much of a difference this makes is above me but if anyone can enlighten us that would be choice.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
How would one ensure good surface area connection between the wire and terminals when using a solid core wire?
I use Oyaide receptacles. their high clamping power on terminals ensure a good connection. there are lots of hi-fi brands such as furutech, synergistresearch etc. offering same or better terminals on their receptacles. so that's not an issue if you use one of them.
What about skin effect? There's less surface are on a single wire than there is in multi-stranded wires, how much of a difference this makes is above me but if anyone can enlighten us that would be choice.
if you're making a powercord or an extension cable up to 5 meters than it's a good idea to use stranded wire, but if it's longer than 5 meters or a dedicated line from electric meter than solid core is the right choice. the difference is about speed and energy you get from your audio system. I used both of them for a long time and always prefer the line with solid core. I should make a note that it takes a long time to fully burn in.
by the way 5 meters is not an exact value maybe it's 4 or maybe 6 meters I don't know but if it's short stranded wire is better if it's long solid core is better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing