Dedicated AC Line For Hi-Fi Setup

Mar 21, 2022
...I would recommend NOT soldering these joints. You will have something like the pictured fixture in VN to make a good mechanical connection, if not affixing into panels and breakers. Be safe!
The cable seller guy recommended using breaker as a connection as well. Or if I follow the connecting cable route, connecting through cos (as attached picture) is highly recommended.

2 electricians I know think directly connecting the cables (using cos) and using one CB might be best choice (but they don't have experience in audio (not an audio user), actually one of them do run dedicated line for a few studios, but never encounter this situation before).

Hello Novacdjokotoet

1. If that 15 mt. cable from meter to panel on first floor is a separate line for audio then it’s better to replace it with the same cable that you use from panel to third floor -In this case GigaWatt LC-Y EVO 3X4-. Then getting rid of the second CB on the first floor and connecting two cables with appropriate connector or soldering is the best option IMHO. This way you can have a cable with one interruption and one CB.

2. If that 15 mt. cable from meter to panel is a common line both for audio and anything else in the house then use it as it is. Alternatively you can replace CB with Gigawatt’s.
https://www.gigawatt.eu/produkt/g-16a-power-grid-overcurrent-protection-switch/

More importantly please check your country’s electrical code before doing any of the above mentioned alterations.

Regards...
mtemur
I just ordered 15m of the same Gigawatt cable. The existing 15m provided by national electricity company will be used for general electric line. Decision now is only whether to use 1 CB with interupted cable or 2 CB for this audio dedicated line.

Attachments

• f1e3516d97e358bd01f2.jpg
    f1e3516d97e358bd01f2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022
Very good advice on checking the country's electrical code first, before doing any alterations. However, Novacdj is based in Hanoi, so very similar to my former home town, Colombo, there's no electrical code, anything goes! There must be a code but I don't think anyone adheres to it. In Colombo the main electrical code in doing such alterations is first, try not to get electrocuted! And when you do get electrocuted, just make sure you're wearing rubber/ insulated gloves, that's pretty much the code!

Cheers, RJ
It's Vietnam sir. We don't care much about code. I'm not sure if there is one, lol.

But I did ask the guy from nation electric company for permission before changing anything in the electricial meter. They say we can do anything we want after the meter.

Mar 21, 2022
I had a 30A line run from the house main breaker panel to a (much smaller) dedicated audio breaker panel with circuit breaker, and a 20A line from there to a wall socket. Works great. Nothing done to the meter as far as I know.
That was our original plan sir. But reading this thread changed my mind. :)
Also, as sir Big Dog RJ has stated in post #20, our electrical grid is unstable compare to yours (and I feel the same, our line is dirty and unstable as hell), so going the extra mile might be a better option.

My system is pretty modest, a 300usd Edifier S2000mk3, a 500usd DAC, with cheap isolated transformer and cheap diy audio power distributer, and headphones (HD650 and LCD2, which is pretty sensitive to good or bad electricity). I do understand good electricity is the foundation even with this modest system, no wonder it's extremely important to mid to high-end setup.

Hope this dedicated line will stablize the electricial feed for my future upgrade.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I do understand good electricity is the foundation even with this modest system, no wonder it's extremely important to mid to high-end setup.
that’s definitely right but please keep in mind that a new solid core AC line needs a long time to burn in and during that time it may sound like crap. just be patient.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Better to be safe than sorry... just do the right thing that's the safest option. having two CB's may add more protection in the long run, from electrical surges, storms, brownouts etc., Attaching two high voltage mains cables... mmm oops! zap zap!! someone just got electrocuted, whaaaat? fuzzy hairdo and no pants, blown off during surge! Nah mate, I wouldn't go there. The decision is yours though.
BTW, Vietnam, very nice country. Need to visit again on our next trip to Spore... how's the high end over there?
Spore is my main place and I visit a trusted old mate who had some serious gear, always a learning curve.
Cheers, RJ

Mar 21, 2022
Better to be safe than sorry... just do the right thing that's the safest option. having two CB's may add more protection in the long run, from electrical surges, storms, brownouts etc., Attaching two high voltage mains cables... mmm oops! zap zap!! someone just got electrocuted, whaaaat? fuzzy hairdo and no pants, blown off during surge! Nah mate, I wouldn't go there. The decision is yours though.
BTW, Vietnam, very nice country. Need to visit again on our next trip to Spore... how's the high end over there?
Spore is my main place and I visit a trusted old mate who had some serious gear, always a learning curve.
Cheers, RJ
Thank you sir.
We decided to add a 2nd CB, potentially the Gigawatt one.

We have this annual hi-end AV show in both Hanoi and HCM city but got cancelled in the last two years due to covid.
Hope it'll make a comeback this year.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
As we say down unda... "good on ya Novacdj!"
I think this will be the safest option considering your existing electrical layout...

Cheers mate, have a good one.
RJ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Novacdjokotoet!

Reactions: novacdjokotoet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing